• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

night vision for walking

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Is there anything worth buying for walking around at night that isnt crazy expensive?

2.5k is about as cheap as it gets for the device and then you need mounts etc so you're looking at 3-4k for a basic setup.

Some people find the old PVS7s used relatively cheap. But most new quality modern systems are going to start at $2,500 and go up from there.

Some people find the old PVS7s used relatively cheap. But most new quality modern systems are going to start at $2,500 and go up from there.

I would quantify that statement. I recall the dead spot in front of me w/PVS -7s to be pretty bad. You get used to it, but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. They were decent for driving.

Flashlight. That cracked me up. 😏

Agree on the 7's, not my favorite either, but about the only Gen 2 and 3 NV sets you can find used under $1,500. from time to time.
OP seemed to stress cheap, aka low cost. That's the only reason I mentioned a 7

A lot has to do with just getting used to moving around at night in the woods without NV- how to walk correctly, etc. Got an email recently with a guy talking about how he had to "constantly adjust his focus" on his 14 to "look at my feet while walking." Your not using them right if your looking down at your feet constantly.

Cheap is also relative. Cheap for Jeff Bezos, or cheap for welfare recipients are two different things. $5K cheap, $1500 uber expensive. The correct answer is a question, "What's your actual budget?"

Cheap is also relative. Cheap for Jeff Bezos, or cheap for welfare recipients are two different things. $5K cheap, $1500 uber expensive. The correct answer is a question, "What's your actual budget?"
cheapest units that actual function on some level and would work for walking around paths at night for fun.

JFC! He want's budget NV for some fun. Give him some actual fucking advice instead of treating him like an asshole.

Reactions: jLorenzo
i wonder if the cheap digital camera type options would work well enough for walking around. maybe.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Pretty much anything less than $1500 is worth almost nothing. A used PVS-7 or 14 with a Gen II tube on a skullcrusher is about the minimal useful actual night vision device for walking around. Not that people don't sell something cheaper, but they are just money transfer devices, they make your money someone else's money.

i wonder if the cheap digital camera type options would work well enough for walking around. maybe.

With supplemental ir light they seem to be ok. Without they're pretty much useless. There's a long thread on them over on the ar15 forum. Op didn't give even a rough budget so its hard to know where he's going with this. Nightgoggles has echoes in stock for 2400. Thats pretty cheap compared to a L3 binos with an ecoti so its all relative.

A lot has to do with just getting used to moving around at night in the woods without NV- how to walk correctly, etc. Got an email recently with a guy talking about how he had to "constantly adjust his focus" on his 14 to "look at my feet while walking." Your not using them right if your looking down at your feet constantly.

This man knows of what he speaks.
Once you have become a grand zen master of the high toed clown walk night vision becomes unnecessary. Best part is it's free except for the possible medical bills.

Reactions: Lowdown3
digital is no bueno for walking around. If you want head mounted night vision your budget needs to be at MINIMUM $2k. This is buying everything used and using the absolute bare minimum. Otherwise yes, flashlight will probably serve you the best....

digital is no bueno for walking around. If you want head mounted night vision your budget needs to be at MINIMUM $2k. This is buying everything used and using the absolute bare minimum. Otherwise yes, flashlight will probably serve you the best....
too bad. it isn't something i need anyway (too much light pollution here, even on a cloudy night).
i used to live someplace where it got pitch black at night if there was cloud cover, and having night vision back then would have been cool.

I’m kind of in the same boat, but really it’s just a Ninja want for me. I’d like to put a PEQ-15 on one of my mk12s and a run a bump cap with a PVS-14. They do two night shoots a year around here. A total waste of my money but that doesn’t mean I don’t want the shit...

I’m kind of in the same boat, but really it’s just a Ninja want for me. I’d like to put a PEQ-15 on one of my mk12s and a run a bump cap with a PVS-14. They do two night shoots a year around here. A total waste of my money but that doesn’t mean I don’t want the shit...
Stargazing is pretty awesome with nice nods....

i got a cheap wraith and a decent illuminator, just in case the zombies come out and night, and the electricity is out at the same time. 😂
it would also be basic prepping stuff in case we were forced to hunt for food. obviously i have to justify everything to myself, :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: FatBoy