• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Vision Goggle Repairs?

sulcop96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2011
State of confusion
After reading this please keep the laughter to a minimum, or at least try. My PD just "retired" a command officer and I was the Sgt tasked with "helping" him move out. When going through his office post move we came across a set of NVG's and a receipt for the item. First, they were bought from a company called The Night Vision Equipment Company out of PA. Next, they were bought with department funds, but not with the Chief's authorization, and they do not show up anywhere on our current inventory. Our current Chief gave them to me for the SWAT team so I tried them out but.... nothing. They do not turn on at all. I don't even know if they are Gen 1-2 and the date of manufacture was 2005, we got them in 2006, or shall I say our "retired" command officer got them...

So I am sure the warranty is long expired but the damn things look like they were never used, just sat in a closet for eight years. My questions for the experts out there, are they salvageable? If so anyone repair goggles? If they can be repaired what is the cost, and is it even worth it to try? I can add photos and detail by request, but I want to find out first if we have anything more then a new pelican case.

Sully

are they pvs-7 or pvs-14 or anvis dual tube type? if they are 2005 mfg or so they are more then likely gen3. a pic might help. i would think mod armory, ident, tnvc should be able to get these up and running. what does the battery compartment look like? alot of times people leave batteries in a unit and they die then leak and it runins the contacts, springs etc.

Battery compartment is so clean it looked like it never had a battery in it. I am off today but back in tomorrow so I'll get photos up. They look like 7's but I can't find any data on generation in the manual. And thanks guys, for a PD on a budget and a SWAT team that does not have enough NVG's to go around a simple repair would be great.

Sully

If ya could post a pic up of what you have that will help. MOD and I both have tons of repair experience plus tools, test equipment, training. In addition Hunter's and my microscope / soldering stations have been set up to the former NavAir Standards (More stringent than NavSea) for AeroSpace level repairs.

Here are some photos, and can take more at any angle requested. As you can see from the outside no way to figure out what is wrong.

Attachments

• 20140401_013959_resized.jpg
    20140401_013959_resized.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140401_014146_resized.jpg
    20140401_014146_resized.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140401_014112_resized.jpg
    20140401_014112_resized.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140401_014056_resized.jpg
    20140401_014056_resized.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 31
Affirmative, new package and then put them in my flash light to make 100% sure. Also attempted to put them in bassakwards just in case and still nothing.

Sully