• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Night vision optic choosing

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
What is a good night vision optic that you could mount in front of a regular day optic that I could purchase under $1,000? I checked all at ATN and I would love to have the
PVS-22 but the money, Damn!

Re: Night vision optic choosing

You can buy a very nice used Gen 3 NV scope with a quick detach mount for under $1500. I bought a USNV 441 w/ laser ill. & a very nice Gen 3 tube for $1300 a few years ago. It's a 3 or 4x (I forget) scope with a red crosshair you can dial from very bright to off, or not turn the crosshair on at all and just spot with it. With the laser ill. you can see a head size target at 300 yards, easy. With a good QD mount on your day optic, (Larue) you can switch back & forth with very little loss of zero. (1/2" @ 200 yards max.)

The key to this is to go to USNV and talk to "Lanny". (If he's still there, it's been awhile for me.) http://www.usnightvision.com/ Go on their forum and ask around for him. I got my scope at a great price as well as my monocular with headgear. It's a Gen 2+ (which is just about as good as Gen 3 if it's a good tube.) That one can mount behind a reddot sight, wear on headgear, or be hand held. My 441 scope was about $3400 at the time and I paid $1300 with a brand new laser ill. worth $200. The monocular was about $2500 with all the stuff I got with it, and I think I paid $1700 for it. (But it was all new.) Most NV gear get's very little use, so as long as you know where it comes from used is the way to go. Lanny will treat you good, at least he did me. He knows where this stuff is and who is tradding up / down all the time. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy a very nice Gen 3 NV scope with a quick detach mount for under $1500. I bought a USNV 441 w/ laser ill. & a very nice Gen 3 tube for $1300 a few years ago. It's a 3 or 4x (I forget) scope with a red crosshair you can dial from very bright to off, or not turn the crosshair on at all and just spot with it. With the laser ill. you can see a head size target at 300 yards, easy. With a good QD mount on your day optic, (Larue) you can switch back & forth with very little loss of zero. (1/2" @ 200 yards max.)

The key to this is to go to USNV and talk to "Lanny". (If he's still there, it's been awhile for me.) http://www.usnightvision.com/ Go on their forum and ask around for him. I got my scope at a great price as well as my monocular with headgear. It's a Gen 2+ (which is just about as good as Gen 3 if it's a good tube.) That one can mount behind a reddot sight, wear on headgear, or be hand held. My 441 scope was about $3400 at the time and I paid $1300 with a brand new laser ill. worth $200. The monocular was about $2500 with all the stuff I got with it, and I think I paid $1700 for it. (But it was all new.) Most NV gear get's very little use, so as long as you know where it comes from used is the way to go. Lanny will treat you good, at least he did me. He knows where this stuff is and who is tradding up / down all the time. Good luck. </div></div>

Just remember "you get what you pay for". Im a dealer for Night Vision Depot. cant help you at that price. Save your $ and buy quality. forget ATN.

My bad, I didn't wright "used" in the first line. (If you read the whole thing you would have got it though.) Anyway, most people that buy NV eq. play with it for awhile, show a buddy or two now & then, and stick it on a shelf somewhere. When they need money one of the first thing's to go is the NV. If you have an in on this stuff, you can buy a good scope for aprox. 1/2 of what it cost's new, or less. Try to get ahold of Lanny, he's your best bet. Tell him what your after, tell him how clear you want it and what you are willing to take. (NV tubes have "spot's" in them, the less spot's the more money. Lanny will explain this to you.) There are alot of factors that make up a good NV tube, the better the tube the more it cost's. My USNV-441 is a very nice Gen-3 tube. A good Gen-2+ tube can be just as good as a Gen 3. Just because it say's gen 3 does not mean it's a good tube. You need a guy that can help you, one that doesn't just want to sell you a scope. And yes, stay away from ATN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angelone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you got what you pay for it </div></div>

This is the one I got for my $1300 (+ a laser IR ill.) I think I did ok, seeings how the other $2400 is still in my pocket. But for those that need a new unit, I'm sure there are plenty of people that will be happy to take your money.
http://www.usnightvision.com/Night-Vision-Weapon-Sights.htm?q=USNV-441%20Gen%203%20Non-Gated