• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Nightforce 12-42x Benchrest question

JNel

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
Jefferson State
Has anyone <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> been able to get a 100 yard zero with the Nightforce 12-42x Benchrest scope using a 20 MOA base? The scope only has 40 MOA adjustment, so it is very close.

Re: Nightforce 12-42x Benchrest question

it`s best to let a scope operate in/near the middle of it`s travel capacity........
otherwise....you`re putting too much or not enough pressure on the erector tube.....
if you`re set up for shooting LR..... use 2 targets.....at 100yds.
Never Leave a scope mashed down at/near bottom of adj.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it`s best to let a scope operate in/near the middle of it`s travel capacity........
otherwise....you`re putting too much or not enough pressure on the erector tube.....
if you`re set up for shooting LR..... use 2 targets.....at 100yds.
Never Leave a scope mashed down at/near bottom of adj.
bill larson </div></div>

^^^ this and yes I zero mine at 100 yards and shoot at 600 yards. I have never shot out to 1000....yet!

I have 20 MOA base with 12-42 NP2DD

I have my 100 yard Zero about 3 MOA above the lowest scope setting.

I do most of my shooting at 600 to 1000 yards
and it works - since with 155 gn bullets you need between 25 to 28 moa at sea level

ONLY when we move to 1,200 do I have an issue and had to resort to my MILDOT Scope and use 2nd Mil down.
So effectively then about 5MOA short for 1,200 yards shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANGLICO Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my dad had the same problem last year. He ended up getting a 30 MOA base. </div></div>

Wouldn't it be impossible to get a <span style="font-weight: bold">100</span> yard zero with a 30 moa base with a scope with only 40 moa travel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagerNoSkill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 20 MOA base with 12-42 NP2DD

I have my 100 yard Zero about 3 MOA above the lowest scope setting.

I do most of my shooting at 600 to 1000 yards
and it works - since with 155 gn bullets you need between 25 to 28 moa at sea level

ONLY when we move to 1,200 do I have an issue and had to resort to my MILDOT Scope and use 2nd Mil down.
So effectively then about 5MOA short for 1,200 yards shooting </div></div>

Thanks for the reply EagerNoSkill

In theory my 20 moa base should bottom out the scope giving me 40 moa of elevation to dial if numbers are true. Exbal shows the drop from bore line at -2.1" at 100 yards, correcting the 2 moa up leaving 38 moa of elevation. This is if everything is true.

I already own the 20 moa base. If it doesn't work I can order a 15 moa. Exbal also show 25.5 moa need for 1000 yards. Since this is an F class rig, I defiantly need to get to 600 and 1000. I want the 100 yard zero to be able to compete in local 100 yard BR and 200 yard BR matches along with F class open.

The 20 moa base will be very close, if not it appears the 15 moa base will be the ticket to achieving 100 to 1000 yards for this caliber.

I think you are probably working too hard to get a 100 yard zero if this is for a long range rifle.

If you have a 200 or better a 300 yard range to do load workups you'll be fine if you can get it out that far. Other than my initial zero I can't remember ever shooting my TR rifle at 100 yards. Two hundred or 300 is pretty much the minimum for me and that's just to do load work. Fundamentals and trigger control are important but that's about all you're getting shooting at 100.

So, if you have a longer range that you can do your work on I'd not worry too much about your 100 unless it's where you absolutely have to practice, and even then you can put up an aiming point a foot or two above the target. For groups I find that I get better groups when I dial the impact away from the aiming point so it doesn't get shot to hell. Trying to print a sub .5 center to center group is harder when your aiming point is a lopsided clover leaf and you still have two shots to make.

My F-TR rifle has a 20MOA ramp and an NF NXS 12-42X56. My load requires about 30 MOA from 100 yards. When I did my quick load development and functionality testing, I used a 4 foot tall cardboard and at the bottom, I used a Sharpie to make a single dot at the bottom in the center. Then I drew a vertical line and measured off feet and inches, especially around the 30 inch mark.

Then I put the target at 100 yards and zoomed in at 42X on that dot and fired my groups. I could not see the impact in the scope, and that's a good thing. I just concentrated on the dot. I made the required adjustments to move the tiny groups to the proper scope setting and I was ready for the 1000 yard range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> been able to get a 100 yard zero with the Nightforce 12-42x Benchrest scope using a 20 MOA base? The scope only has 40 MOA adjustment, so it is very close. </div></div>

I've got two of the scopes on two Savages that I use for long and mid-range F-class. Both are on 20moa bases (a Ken Farrell and a Bench Source, which is a little higher), and I've been able to zero both at 100 yards and both are shot out to 1000 yards (the mid-range gun is my backup).

One (a .284 Win. shooting 180gr Hybrids) needs ~24.5moa to get there, the other (a 6.5x47L shooting 130gr VLD's) needs ~26moa to get there.

I got zero with a 20 MOA base, But to get to 1000 with a .308 using 175 or heavier bullets, you will need a 40MOA base and a prayer. I will let you know Monday if the prayer worked!

Hello, length of barrel will make diff on how much MOA that you have to play with also. I have 2 Barreled actions and a Mark 4 scope with 90 MOA elevation. The 20" with 20 moa base I get 54 MOA up an 36 down to use with 100yard zero. The 26" with 20 moa base I get 70 MOA up and 20 down to use with 100 yard zero.

Is this factory ammo or you are reloading? What bullet are you useing,GR/BC/MV FPS?

If shooting .308 and 175gr bullets 's at 2900 fps you only need 29.25 MOA to reach 1000 yards all perfect.

If shooting .308 and 175gr bullets 's at 2550 fps you only need 40 MOA to reach 1000 yards all perfect.

You see how MV/FPS change the whole game!!! Also how long is your barrel and twist rate?

You can reach 1000 yards with your scope and still have 100 yard zero.

You are right it is very close, make sure your windage knob is centered before you crank it down if it is much left or right you will not be able to get the maximum depression of the elevation knob. I have several of these scopes on my LR rifles and they are usually within a couple of MOA from bottoming out on a 20 minute rail.
A 15 minute rail will get you there, or a set of Burris signature rings with the 5 minute inserts. Remember that when your'e that close to bottoming out that there will not be much windage adjustment on the scope (not that you will need much at 100 yd)
A few years back a buddy was setting up a rifle and could not get within 12 minutes of zero at 100 with a NF BR. we fiddled and fiddled (tried different scopes etc) until we figured out the barrel was threaded out of spec causing it to shoot 16 inches low ad a little left, Twisted a spare barrel on, and bingo no problem, not saying that is your issue but keep an open mind. I think it worth the time to figure out the problem, those are great scopes for competition use
Oh something else, verify that the rail is mounted perfectly on the receiver and it is in fact a 20min rail, I once got a '0' rail marked -20. Good Luck