• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x 42mm Video Review

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Nightforce 2.5-10x 42mm Compact Scope

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F1BNFORBRg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keeping in line with Nightforce's new releases for 2013, we received the 2.5-10x 42mm just around the NRA Show. This is part of their compact scope line and accompanies the 2.5-10x 24, & 32mm versions. However unlike those models this version has some very important upgrades.

42mm Objective

This adds to the light transmission which is very important for the hunters out there. You get much better lowlight usage when compared to the 24mm version of the same scope. Also Nightforce has been quietly, but noticeability updating the coatings on the glass they use. This gives better contrast and 'pop' when compared to the older lines. It's a much requested change and NF has been listening.

Digi-Illum

This is a great change the Nightforce line of scopes. Dual Color variable adjustment push button illumination. With options to use either green or red illumination, the user can set and adjust the illumination with the push of the button. Hold the button down, the reticle will flash and change from green to red, and then you can just push and adjust the brightness. Also the Whole Reticle is lit. In this class of scope this is an excellent option. One note in the Mil R reticle like we are using, the inverted T is not lit, just the reticle itself.

Parallax Adjustment

The 2.5-10x 42 now has parallax adjustment on top of the Digi-illum. So for those that wished the compact line had focus adjustment, now it does.

Zero Stops.

This scope also features zero stops, same as the NXS Line.

Weight : 20.5 OZ
    Length : 11.9"
    FOV :
    2.5x: 44 ft / 10x: 11 ft
    2.5x: 13.4m / 10x:3.4m
    Eye Relief : 3.5" with a very generous eye box

I believe this scope will be retailing around $1900 but don't quote me.

This is a Second Focal Plane Scope, but in the 2.5-10x range I don't believe that is big issue. Especially for the hunter class who are used to shooting SFP scope.

1. Are the new coatings going to be on all the scopes from the near future on out, or only the new models (might be a better question for NF)?
    2. Would you say its lowlight performance is markedly better than the 32mm objective version?
    3. Do you find that you can actually tell if changing the parallax has an effect? On my 2.5-10 the magnification is so low and the reticule subtension so large that I can't really tell if parallax is coming into play compared to the precision I can get out of the sight picture.

1. Ask NF

2. I have no access to a 32mm so i had to compare it to my 24mm, hence the notation in the video I used my 24mm to compare.

3. Parallax is not really an issue for scopes of 10x and below, but the parallax / side focus does create a better focus on farther targets. Close up you don't see a big difference at all, but farther away you notice it. In my opinion, it creates a soft focus / depth of field change when you look at targets that are of mixed distance. Is is necessary, probably not, but it was a much requested addition.

Thanks for posting this. I have been debating on which NF scope to use on my HCS Mk12. I was considering the x32 since the x24's are so hard to find for reasonable money. I even considered an ATACR, but I think that might be overkill on an AR platform. I like the idea of the quick throw rod. Does it stick out so much that it will get hung up on everything? I guess if it does you can just unscrew it.

I liked your John Wayne ninja rifle roll at the end of the video, and I'm glad your neighbors trees didn't fall on you while making this video.

ill be curious to see the price. im guessing with the upgrades its going to be a pretty good jump from the 32mm model.

Nightforce 2.5-10x 42mm Compact Scope

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F1BNFORBRg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keeping in line with Nightforce's new releases for 2013, we received the 2.5-10x 42mm just around the NRA Show. This is part of their compact scope line and accompanies the 2.5-10x 24, & 32mm versions. However unlike those models this version has some very important upgrades.

42mm Objective

This adds to the light transmission which is very important for the hunters out there. You get much better lowlight usage when compared to the 24mm version of the same scope. Also Nightforce has been quietly, but noticeability updating the coatings on the glass they use. This gives better contrast and 'pop' when compared to the older lines. It's a much requested change and NF has been listening.

Digi-Illum

This is a great change the Nightforce line of scopes. Dual Color variable adjustment push button illumination. With options to use either green or red illumination, the user can set and adjust the illumination with the push of the button. Hold the button down, the reticle will flash and change from green to red, and then you can just push and adjust the brightness. Also the Whole Reticle is lit. In this class of scope this is an excellent option. One note in the Mil R reticle like we are using, the inverted T is not lit, just the reticle itself.

Parallax Adjustment

The 2.5-10x 42 now has parallax adjustment on top of the Digi-illum. So for those that wished the compact line had focus adjustment, now it does.

Zero Stops.

This scope also features zero stops, same as the NXS Line.

Weight : 20.5 OZ
    Length : 11.9"
    FOV :
    2.5x: 44 ft / 10x: 11 ft
    2.5x: 13.4m / 10x:3.4m
    Eye Relief : 3.5" with a very generous eye box

I believe this scope will be retailing around $1900 but don't quote me.

This is a Second Focal Plane Scope, but in the 2.5-10x range I don't believe that is big issue. Especially for the hunter class who are used to shooting SFP scope.

great review LOWLIGHT .... how would you compare the NF.... to Leopold mk 6 3 x 18 ??? about the same $$$$$

It's Apples and Oranges to compare a 2.5-10x compact scopes to a 3-18x they are two different animals.

It's picking the right tool for the job... if that is the case why not compare it to a S&B 3-20x, size ? Ok, how about comparing it to the 1-4x ?

The Mk 6 3-18x is a good scope, but it's not the same tool for the same job as the 2.5-10x. Can they cross over, sure, you can do any number of things with all different kinds of scopes, the question is "mission" what are you trying to accomplish ?

Do you need lightweight ?

Do you want to limit the overall size ?

Do you need Illumination ?

Can you just a center illumination or do you want the entire reticle lit ?

Only the end user can answer these questions and each person has their own reason for wanting a particular scope ...

looks like these are going to be in stock at midway on 8/22. its kind of weird how the models are configured. looks like the capped turret model thats coming in at around 1600 is offering the moar, mil dot, hunting and velocity 600 reticles. the model that lowlight reviewed with the zero stop turrets (comes in a little over 1900) only offers the mil-r and moar. if they are going to offer more reticle options on the capped turret version(including the moar) i wonder why they didnt also offer the mil-r reticle on that model? i would think the mil-r reticle would be just as easy to install as the moar. not that this is a complaint, the scope looks to be a home run.

Last I checked, the MIL-R reticle doesn't show on the website....I sure hope it's available, though...