• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm FFP?!

hk dave

Optics Fiend
Minuteman
  • Jun 7, 2011
    So CA
    I might be dreaming... but let it become true! LL just posted this on facebook... well at least the ???-10x42mm part. :D

394515_10151645652502953_668580617_n.jpg

Last edited:
    So from what we can see, the mag ring has the dot to show the "halfway" point... but its places at about the 5x mark... so does this mean 1x?! Surely not... especially not with the 42mm objective written on the Parallax knob...or is it the illumination knob.

Quite curious. :) I've always wanted a slightly larger version of the 2.5-10x32mm for field of view!

LL posted in the "anyone use a 2.3-10x32 NF" thread that it's a 2.5-10x42. If you look at the side focus, I can make out what appears to be an abbreviation that starts with an "A" which makes me think it's a new ATACR series scope. The tube diameter is not 30mm if that's a 42mm objective....so a 34mm 2.5-10x42 with HS/ZS options. I'm in if they can keep it reasonable. Hope the weight isn't too much too.....VERY excited about this.

If it comes to fruition, I'll be removing my current 2.5-10x32 on my hunting rifle and putting it on an AR for one of these.

Is the FFP part just wishful thinking or did LL mention it somewhere? I don't see why they would make the 5-25x ATACR SFP but a 2.5-10x ATACR FFP.

The FFP part is wishful thinking. I don't think it's FFP... I think I should still pick one up though. :p

When is NF expected to announce the specs? To my eye it looks like a 30mm tube, not a 34mm.

NF has really pulled out the stops this year - ATACR, BEAST, and now this little monster??? Sweet Jesus. FFP or not, I already love it! Way to go NF!

To me it seems it wouldn't make sense to run a 34mm tube. It's 10x... how much adjustment could one possibly need for a 10x scope? :)

I was given a MAP retail price of $1995.00 but I forgot to ask if that was the Zero Stop or Non-Zero Stop model.

I would think that price would include the Zero Stop feature.

To me it seems it wouldn't make sense to run a 34mm tube. It's 10x... how much adjustment could one possibly need for a 10x scope? :)

Agreed. 34mm would be a deal breaker for me, but hey, I'm just a hunter who likes to play from time to time. But I doubt it's 34mm.

Last edited:
    Also i Hope it weighs 22oz or less and doesn't have a parallax adjustment. I hope that side knob is illumination

i have to say that i have been more and more underwhelmed with NG this year.

cant really get into a SFP scopes anymore, not having a usable recitcle at all powers is a big turn off for me, and while you can do the math to use it SFPs at different powers, its not really practical.

i have to say that i have been more and more underwhelmed with NG this year.

cant really get into a SFP scopes anymore, not having a usable recitcle at all powers is a big turn off for me, and while you can do the math to use it SFPs at different powers, its not really practical.

Same. I LOVE their glass and reticles, and they're built like tanks, but they need more FFP options. A 2.5-10x42 FFP (30mm tube) would have been perfect. As well as the 5-25x ATACR being FFP. Two home runs that fell short in center field, IMO.

its ashame, i have no intrest in there line anymore, not for a drop off in quality but for a lack of FFP options, considering that other companies such as bushnell,SWFA, and vortex, having pieced toghether fairly impressive track records in regards to recticle design, tracking glass quality, durability, the apeal of NF is not really there for me anymore.

that and combined with leupold steping up their game with the Mk6 and mk8 line, i really see nothing of interesting comming out of NF anymore.

i

The scope NOT being FFP was a heartbreak for me. IMHO the beast could have been scrapped all together and the ATACR should have been FFP with options to add Horus or GAP reticles. That would have definitely been a home run. This x42 would be too if it were FFP.

I don't know about the necessity for FFP in a 10X max mag. optic, just run it on 10X for increased distance shooting and you are G2G. Same for zero stop, not a deal breaker for me, either. With a 5 mrad turret, that'd suffice for covering alot of cartridges out to at least 600yds on the 1st turn, and flat shooting cartridges out to 800. Remember what type of rifles this optic would pair well with, this is not glass for a 338 mile launcher...
    As for the 42mm objective, fantastic! If that sucker also has ATACR glass in it, that'd be two steps in the right direction for making this new NXS Compact a really excellent niche optic for lightweight hunting/Tac rifles. Hope the street cost stays under $1500 though, otherwise there are other scopes with more mag range & FFP that might be more attractive in that price range...

Last edited:
    It is ATACR glass but the retail price is $1995, with zero stop option.

I mean, the current model isn't even down to $1500 so you know this model wouldn't be.

Yeah, I hear ya Pusher.
    Just sayin' that I'd happily give up the FFP/ZS that would never (rarely) get used in favor of getting an NXS Compact to the market at an attractive price point. I've had a bunch of NXS Compacts, both 24 and 32mm, and always ever run them @ 10X for any distance shooting. Also, running whatever reticle on 5X and doubling subtensions wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, if one really needed to use the reticle on a lower power...

At the time, I kinda wished they'd have skipped the 32mm version and went right to 42mm. That would be all the scope I'd need on an AR, or light hunting rifle. Nice scope, but I ain't gettin' in line to shell out almost $2K for a SFP 10X scope with shit I don't need on it.

bout time! Never knew why NF did not offer a 10x42 scope. That seems to be the perfect bell for that amount of magnification. FOV and light gathering should be improved immensely I imagine, if not then there was no point in going to 42.

34mm tube is the future, if anything, they look bad ass. I can't look at a 30mm scope anymore, all my scopes are 30mm =(

First Focal on a 10x hunting scope is wasted money, your going to pay out the ass for this feature and rarely use it. On any shot past 200 yards your going to be on 10x. Any shot under 200yds your not going to need to mil or hold wind drift for that close of a shot to need your mils or moa. I can't think of any reason in a hunting scenario that justifies it.
    If they were marketing this towards close quarter combat and offered it at 1x then it makes sense, at 1x the reticle is very small and acts like a red dot optic, dial up for longer engagements.

April 2013/For immediate release

New 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact Riflescope from Nightforce
    with Side Parallax Adjustment

The latest addition to the extremely popular line of Nightforce NXS™ Compact riflescopes is the new 2.5-10 x 42, incorporating many features unique to the optics industry.
    For many years, the Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS™ Compact—proven in the hands of the U.S. military—has been renowned for performance far beyond its size. With its larger objective lens, the new Nightforce 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact is even more effective in low light, without compromising its light weight (19 oz.–20.5 oz.) and efficient size (11.9 inches in length).
    The 2.5-10 x 42 is one of the only 10x riflescopes on the market to include side parallax adjustment, adjustable from 25 yards to infinity. It incorporates Nightforce DigIllum™ digital reticle illumination technology, offering red or green settings in multiple intensities from very dim to extremely bright. DigIllum™ also includes settings specifically for use with night vision equipment.
    The Nightforce PTL™ is standard, allowing instant magnification changes even while wearing gloves. Six different reticles are available, including the new IHR™ (International Hunting Reticle). The 2.5-10 x 42 is offered with .250 MOA Hi-Speed™ or .1 Mil-Radian adjustments exposed target-style configurations, or with capped, enclosed adjustments in .250 MOA only.
    The 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact proves that size is no substitute for quality, providing performance that exceeds most riflescopes of any size. Its low mounting profile, versatile magnification range and streamlined proportions make it ideal for a mountain or safari rifle, and Nightforce Compacts are extremely popular for the various AR platforms.
    The Nightforce 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact has a MSRP starting at $1,800. For more information, visit Nightforce Optics, Inc. | Precision Optics for Precision Shooting or call 208.476.9814.
    # # #

Its not like NF doesn't have the technology to build FFP, SWFA & Bushnell have FFP scopes at half the price of this.
    Whats the harm to offer a feature that has dollar for dollar the most practical benefit for the market?

First Focal on a 10x hunting scope is wasted money, your going to pay out the ass for this feature and rarely use it. On any shot past 200 yards your going to be on 10x. Any shot under 200yds your not going to need to mil or hold wind drift for that close of a shot to need your mils or moa. I can't think of any reason in a hunting scenario that justifies it.
    If they were marketing this towards close quarter combat and offered it at 1x then it makes sense, at 1x the reticle is very small and acts like a red dot optic, dial up for longer engagements.

@1900 + you are already paying out the ass for this scope.

New 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact Riflescope from Nightforce
    with Side Parallax Adjustment

The latest addition to the extremely popular line of Nightforce NXS™ Compact riflescopes is the new 2.5-10 x 42, incorporating many features unique to the optics industry.
    For many years, the Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 NXS™ Compact—proven in the hands of the U.S. military—has been renowned for performance far beyond its size. With its larger objective lens, the new Nightforce 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact is even more effective in low light, without compromising its light weight (19 oz.–20.5 oz.) and efficient size (11.9 inches in length).
    The 2.5-10 x 42 is one of the only 10x riflescopes on the market to include side parallax adjustment, adjustable from 25 yards to infinity. It incorporates Nightforce DigIllum™ digital reticle illumination technology, offering red or green settings in multiple intensities from very dim to extremely bright. DigIllum™ also includes settings specifically for use with night vision equipment.
    The Nightforce PTL™ is standard, allowing instant magnification changes even while wearing gloves. Six different reticles are available, including the new IHR™ (International Hunting Reticle). The 2.5-10 x 42 is offered with .250 MOA Hi-Speed™ or .1 Mil-Radian adjustments exposed target-style configurations, or with capped, enclosed adjustments in .250 MOA only.
    The 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact proves that size is no substitute for quality, providing performance that exceeds most riflescopes of any size. Its low mounting profile, versatile magnification range and streamlined proportions make it ideal for a mountain or safari rifle, and Nightforce Compacts are extremely popular for the various AR platforms.
    The Nightforce 2.5-10 x 42 NXS™ Compact has a MSRP starting at $1,800. For more information, visit www.NightforceOptics.com or call 208.476.9814.

The NXS 2.5-10x42mm SFP looks like they are going to be a great scope. MAP starts at $1615 and got to $1940.

We have a lot on order.

Mike @ CST

Last edited:
    @1900 + you are already paying out the ass for this scope.

Really? Yes it's expensive, but lets look at the standard NXS line. This is NF's bread and butter line, when you upgrade to FF which is the NXS F1 you pay $2400 for FF that makes it a $500 option. So NF is targeting hunters with this 2.5-10x42, how many hunters are willing to pay $2400 compared to $1700(1800msrp). A lot more willing to spend $1500-1700 on a scope for hunting then $2000-2500. The other seller for this scope is its weight, that's my biggest complaint with NF for hunting. My NXS 5.5-22 are very heavy! It's not a scope I'm going to put on my 8lb rifle. This 2.5-10 @ 20oz is perfect match for an average sporter weight rifle. Now add FF and even 34mm like some want and now your over 30oz and they just lost my sale because I might as well buy a 3.5-15x50 that weighs 30oz. It's a scope that fills a huge market that they were missing. If your hell bent on FF just get the 3.5-15 F1.

I want a somewhat lighter alternative to the S&B 3-12x50, without giving up any functionality/quality.

(I don't really)

Last edited:
    Leupold makes a 3.5-10x40 with mil turrets that's FFP and weighs 19.5oz, got side focus from 50 to infinity and is like 1600, just sayin.

Just get the IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP, it's an awesome scope. I use one on top of my POF.308 ....mil/mil, MP-8 reticle, illuminated, and has fixed parallax which IMO is better suited for a 2.5-10 power tactical scope. Ohh and cheaper too!

It looks like a great scope for sporter weight hunting rifles. I like the parallax adjustment especially since it adjusts down to 25 yrds.......awesome .22 rimfire scope......(yes I take my squirrel hunting seriously). Nightforce reliability...... what's not to like?

My only hope is that it will have a mil based reticle other than the mildot, that was the only thing stoping me from buying the x32 version. Md2.0, mlr, mlr2(fingers crossed). Hope they dont mess this up like their 2 newest offerings.

Yeah mildots are so 1980s please FFP and mil-hash please

If it's MLR or MD2.0 or better yet, Mil-R, this will be my new SPR scope. :)