• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 20 MOA Rail For Sako A7 Fail

RNWRKNP

Sophisticated Redneck
Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2017
    PHX, AZ
    Don’t mind spending the money on a quality product but you would think that they would insure that the screws were all the appropriate length. 3 out of 5 screws provided for 4 holes are to long and won’t allow bolt operation. Was trying to use a complete nightforce system for my SHV scope so I am a little disappointed that they didn’t insure that the screws work for the rail....

Yeh I understand your frustration when you should have an easy as pie bolt on piece of gear, but have you tried cutting or filing them to proper length? I've had to do this alot with different Savage action pic rails, typically I count the threads protruding into the action and place the screw in a vice and use a hand file or a dremel to cut them to length. So far out of 10 or so times every one I've cut has threaded in no problems. Buy a thread chase die if your uneasy about it.

Yeh I understand your frustration when you should have an easy as pie bolt on piece of gear, but have you tried cutting or filing them to proper length? I've had to do this alot with different Savage action pic rails, typically I count the threads protruding into the action and place the screw in a vice and use a hand file or a dremel to cut them to length. So far out of 10 or so times every one I've cut has threaded in no problems. Buy a thread chase die if your uneasy about it.

Thought about that but was worried about the threads. Gonna run it by sportsman's where I bought the rifle and scope tomorrow to see if they have the shorts I need as they carry nightforce products. Appreciate the ideas on a work around and will probably do just that if they can’t help.

Sportsman’s couldn’t help so I ground them down and they worked like a charm.

Reactions: demolitionman
    Did you let Nightforce know? They probably would have sent you some screws that were the right length.

How much length did you have to remove?

Left them a little longer than the short screws. Didn’t take a precise measurement. Framer by trade and just eye balled it in an attempt to retain as may threads as possible with proper clearance for the bolt.

Did you let Nightforce know? They probably would have sent you some screws that were the right length.

I did let them know and the response I got was that most people just grind them down. Told the guy that the packaging indicated that any mod voided the warranty. He said it didn’t apply to screws but that he would send me some shorts. Guy was cool on the phone and helpful so I’m pleased with the customer service side. Especially since I’m all in with two scopes, rail and rings all from Nightforce.

Yeah, this is weirdly typical of almost all products. Pretty high dollar ones, stuff from the US, from Norway, everything. Almost nothing is tight, is loctited, and often enough it doesn't even quite fit. Not sure when we all gave up on shit working the first time.

Half the time you complain to a gun parts supplier the answer is that you should have had a Qualified Gunsmith Perform The Installation. Aside from fuck that, find me a qualified gunsmith anymore.

Glad yours worked out to grind them down. Chasing the threads usually works just to spin on a corresponding nut before cutting the screw, then twist it off. I also have some very sharp files (e.g. a sight dovetail file) and as I get older use the magnifying light to line it up and cut the thin bits and burrs off the thread opening to make it work right.

Yeah, this is weirdly typical of almost all products. Pretty high dollar ones, stuff from the US, from Norway, everything. Almost nothing is tight, is loctited, and often enough it doesn't even quite fit. Not sure when we all gave up on shit working the first time.

Half the time you complain to a gun parts supplier the answer is that you should have had a Qualified Gunsmith Perform The Installation. Aside from fuck that, find me a qualified gunsmith anymore.

Glad yours worked out to grind them down. Chasing the threads usually works just to spin on a corresponding nut before cutting the screw, then twist it off. I also have some very sharp files (e.g. a sight dovetail file) and as I get older use the magnifying light to line it up and cut the thin bits and burrs off the thread opening to make it work right.

Was very pleased on the fit. 0 gaps from rail to receiver and like the recoil lug. Nightforce rings for my SHV F1 but the ATACR will be getting a SPUHR Mount. Nut on the screw is a great idea I should have thought of?

:ROFLMAO: Ain’t that the truth.