• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 3.5-15x50 FFP or 5.5-22x50 SFP

kahai808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2010
San Diego, CA
I have a GAP Crusader 308 that is lacking optics right now. Im in a debate between the Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 Mil/Mil and the 5.5-22x50 Mil/Mil. Both Zero Stop/High Speed. I do shoot out a past 1k sometimes. I do want to start shooting Tactical Matches and know that the F1 has its benefits. But I've also read that folks do well with the 5.5-22. Please give me your thoughts. Especially if you do or have own both. Thanks

Re: Nightforce 3.5-15x50 FFP or 5.5-22x50 SFP

I wonder if that is the ad that is going to be emailed to people that got on the email list?

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could split the difference and look at a SWFA 5-20. Very competitive with nightforce and saves you $. The have a sale right now that includes lots of extras. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51657.aspx
Look for the review on the front page of the Hide.
Love mine. </div></div>

The link did not lead to the SS sale info.....??

I have both. I have used both.

Get the F1 / MLR2.

FFP will help you in the comps, you won't often be able to use the advantage of 22x (especially in the heat/mirage of the California desert), and the 3.5-15x is more forgiving to get your eye behind when you need to acquire a sight picture quickly and apply hold overs/hold unders under time constraints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. I have used both.

Get the F1 / MLR2.

FFP will help you in the comps, you won't often be able to use the advantage of 22x (especially in the heat/mirage of the California desert), and the 3.5-15x is more forgiving to get your eye behind when you need to acquire a sight picture quickly and apply hold overs/hold unders under time constraints. </div></div>

Same, I have an MD2 and could not be happier.

+1 for what Graham said. The MLR 2.0 is faster and easier to use for me than the 5-22. I still run both a 5-22 and an F1, but if you forced me to pick one it is hands down the 3-15 F1. Occasionally I use the full 22 power of the 5-22, but most of the time it is set at 10-15x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. I have used both.

Get the F1 / MLR2.

FFP will help you in the comps, you won't often be able to use the advantage of 22x (especially in the heat/mirage of the California desert), and the 3.5-15x is more forgiving to get your eye behind when you need to acquire a sight picture quickly and apply hold overs/hold unders under time constraints. </div></div>

Same, I have an MD2 and could not be happier. </div></div>

its funny how you find all my post!!!! stocking me bro!!!! Looks like im gonna be ordering it this week!

okay now, MLR2 or MD2?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kahai808</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. I have used both.

Get the F1 / MLR2.

its funny how you find all my post!!!! stocking me bro!!!! Looks like im gonna be ordering it this week!

okay now, MLR2 or MD2?</div></div>

I really wanted the MLR2, it does look pretty sweet, but I noticed that the MD2 is pretty fast. The MLR2 will give you MORE holdover, but on my 6.5 it gives me almost 700 yards worth just form zero. I hold more wind than anything.

W/ the MD2 you have a 1/2 mil mark and a clear mil dot ( like you saw in my video)

IMO it's faster than an MLR2 for wind holds.

I don't think you can go wrong wither way. ML2 is pretty sweet.
Here is a lil drawing I did to show you what I mean about the MD2

kLkxW.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kahai808</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both. I have used both.

Get the F1 / MLR2.

okay now, MLR2 or MD2?</div></div>

I really wanted the MLR2, it does look pretty sweet, but I noticed that the MD2 is pretty fast. The MLR2 will give you MORE holdover, but on my 6.5 it gives me almost 700 yards worth just form zero. I hold more wind than anything.

W/ the MD2 you have a 1/2 mil mark and a clear mil dot ( like you saw in my video)

IMO it's faster than an MLR2 for wind holds.

I don't think you can go wrong wither way. ML2 is pretty sweet.
Here is a lil drawing I did to show you what I mean about the MD2

kLkxW.jpg
</div></div>
wow i like it! thank for the info man!!!

Here is theMLR 2.0 ( there are two versions, make sure you get the MLR 2.0!)

DSC_0134.jpg

Kahai, that is the best representation I have seen of MD2, it looks 100% better than Nightforces crappy images.I wish they would market the MD2 better, I may have went with it. In any case I am very happy with MLR 2.0

I can't understand why Nightforce still doesn't have a 5.5-22 F1, they're definitely losing sales to Vortex, SS, and others who have higher powered FFP scopes.

Sandbogg MLR2.0 looks great as well!

Makes me want one for my next build

I was just in the same boat, and went with a 3.5-15x56, NXS, no regrets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't understand why Nightforce still doesn't have a 5.5-22 F1, they're definitely losing sales to Vortex, SS, and others who have higher powered FFP scopes. </div></div> It's been said before that they're coming out with a 5-25x F1. Waiting on SHOT....

I'm yet to miss the 3.5-5x zone with my 5-25x optics. I never used to think FFP was a big deal - until I got one. Now, it is a requirement. That said, I wouldn't get the NF F1 either, because for less $$ I could get a 5-20 Razor, or for a little more, get a 5-25 used.

Again, the only thing I give up is. The 3.5-5x zone, which I could care less about. Even glassing, 5x is no problem. More than 15x isn't NEEDED, but I sure like to have it.

If I HAD to choose between the F1 and a 5.5-22, I'd choose the F1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toshu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could split the difference and look at a SWFA 5-20. Very competitive with nightforce and saves you $. The have a sale right now that includes lots of extras. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51657.aspx
Look for the review on the front page of the Hide.
Love mine. </div></div>

The link did not lead to the SS sale info.....??</div></div>

The link is active again. They say its good until Nov 28. Maybe it's just me but that looks like a steal for a 5-20 with all those extras.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't understand why Nightforce still doesn't have a 5.5-22 F1, they're definitely losing sales to Vortex, SS, and others who have higher powered FFP scopes. </div></div> It's been said before that they're coming out with a 5-25x F1. Waiting on SHOT.... </div></div>

Hopefully, I've been hearing that for several years. I'll probably be buying next year, if it's not out yet I'll be getting a Vortex.

If you plan on shooting tac matches definitely stick with the f1