• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS vs Viper PST 4-16x50

gonefishing13

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
I recently put in an order in for a GAP-10. I can't wait to get it in my hands. I am currently looking/reading about different scopes for this rifle. As of now I am seriously considering NF's 3.5-15x50 NXS and Vortex's Viper PST 4-16x50. By all accounts I am open to more suggestions. I was hoping you all could share any opinions (pros and cons) you may have encountered with either scope. Is 1k worth the difference? Durability is very important to me, I want this scope to last a long time. Thanks fellas

Re: Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS vs Viper PST 4-16x50

Apples and Oranges, I say Nightforce but that my personal opinion, I got two and there solid. The FFP Vortex PST brings a lot to the table for a great price, especially if you are thinking about competing in matches in the future.

I think they are both great scopes. I was in the same position as you, except I was looking at the nxs 8-32 and the vortex 6-24. I ended up with the night force. The fit and finish of the nightforce is miles ahead of the vortex viper. If you want to compare the two brands side by side, look into the vortex razor.

I have 6 Nightforce scopes and 2 4-16X50 PST FFP Vortex Vipers. They are OK but I should have spent the extra money on the 2 additional Nightforce scopes instead of the Vipers. The NXS 3.5-15X50 will serve you well.

vortex has a better warranty then NF, and from what i've seen from the rep for nf on here, they are sketchy are replacing their stuff as he seemed to think a NF is never broken.

having said that i've had a 6-24 ffp vortex viper pst and enjoyed it, and it has all the toys the NF does, and is half the price with a lifetime fully transferrable warranty. i'm not the kind of person to fork over an extra $1000 to pay for a Name.

food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minarix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vortex has a better warranty then NF, and from what i've seen from the rep for nf on here, they are sketchy are replacing their stuff as he seemed to think a NF is never broken.

having said that i've had a 6-24 ffp vortex viper pst and enjoyed it, and it has all the toys the NF does, and is half the price with a lifetime fully transferrable warranty. i'm not the kind of person to fork over an extra $1000 to pay for a Name.

food for thought. </div></div>

You are getting much more than a name for the extra $1000 trust me. The customer service from Vortex is impressive and the PST's are a good option in their price bracket but If you can afford a NF you won't be sorry you bought one.

I've had both and now just own a nightforce. But both are great.

So here is what happened to me. I have a OBR 7.62 and I bought a OBR 5.56. Both have 18 inch bar. And yes I love them. I had the 3.5x15x50 npr1 NF on the obr 7.62. When I got the 5.56 I decided I could sell the nf and get two 4x16x50 pst 2nd plane scopes and both guns would be good to go. All I can say is save your money and get the nf if u can. I think the pst is a great scope and for the money it is. But it is in NO WAY a nf. I am getting ready to sell the pst and get 2 nf. I thought the same as you and I have learned my lesson. They are both good scopes. But comparing the two is completely unfair.

Just my 2 cents.

Great gun by the way. You should love it.

I have both scopes and have to say optically and mechanically the NF is better. The Vortex is still a good scope.I have the Vortex on a Tikka Scout .223....nice little package.

If you are comparing a vortex to a night force you should probably consider the razor which has a lifetime warranty

I looked through both of them today at Cabelas, for my money I am going NF.

The Vortex is a very nice scope but the NF just seemed clearer to my eye and more robust.

The NF is a tank. I faced the same decision and just couldn't turn down NF's reputation. They have been around a long time and have a built track record.