• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce 3.5-15x50 vs 3.5-15x56 MOAR Reticle

3O8Junkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2011
The Great NW
I made the mistake of stopping at Cabelas tonight and looking through one of the 3.5-15x50 NXS's.. Now that they have ruined me I am trying to decide between the 50 and 56mm.
This will be mounted on a Noveske N6 and most likely stay there as I will pick up other optics for my other rifles and purposes. This rifle will mostly be for shooting steel, and paper with the occasional hunting trip. With that said I have a few questions for the brain trust.

1. Am I correct in understanding that the 56mm is being discontinued and is on sale at a few places for that reason? Is it a bad idea to pick up a discontinued model?

2. Is there any reason to go 50mm over 56mm? (would I regret the 56mm if I got it to save a $)

3. Is a 3.5-15 overkill for a 556 SPR build?

4. Is anyone using the MOAR reticle and what do you think of it?

We originally went in to look through the 2.5-10x32 for my lady friends 556 SPR build, but now she is considering the 3.5-15x50 as well, any thoughts on that? The end result will put her scope on an OBR if and when that comes through but for now it would sit atop her 5.56

We are also looking to buy sooner than later if you might suggest a place that would have them available at a decent price.

Thanks for looking and any help or personal experience you might have to offer.

Re: Nightforce 3.5-15x50 vs 3.5-15x56 MOAR Reticle

IMO the 3-15X50/56 scope is a bit large for your Noveske N6. I own 2 N6's. 1 the monolithic receiver wth a SS barrel the other with the MUIR receiver and a CL barrel. The 3-15X50/56 comes with a 4" sun shade and will look huge on the Noveske and you may have to remove the front sight. That said I have the 3-15X50 on my LMT and even though it's a much beefier rifle still looks proportional large with the shade attached. You won't regret getting the 56mm objective lens. Just make sure the mount you choose will allow the bell to clear the barrel. I have the MOAR reticle on an NXS 8-32-56 on the AIAW that I recently bought. I use to be an NP-R1 reticle guy until I got the MOAR reticle. Now it is my favorite.
On 1 of my Noveske's I have an ACOG RCOM4 on the other a Nightforce 3.5-10X32.

Are you referring to the Noveske N4 (5.56)?

I have never heard of an N6 (.308) with CL barrels or monolithic uppers? Maybe I am out of the loop, I have only had it for a couple years. I have also never heard of them referred to as small in comparison to ANYTHING on the planet?

My N6 is about as big as an AR gets and it weighs somewhere between 13lbs and an Volkswagen Beetle with a full gas tank.... I am more concerned with performance than how it will look, although I think we are talking about 2 different rifles.

I realize it will be large on my lady friend's 556 but its an 18" SPR so its no small AR15 itself with the quad rail and Ops Inc 12 brake hanging off the barrel. We considered a 2.5-10 but with the eventual goal of putting it on a 726 OBR a 3.5-15 seemed to make more sense.
The possibility of removing the BUIS in the front is a non issue, this wont be going anywhere and for close up work I have a 556. This is more of a bench gun/ sitting in a stand rifle. I would not want to hump this thing around a mountain...

Anyone else want to chime in?

I'm curious myself as to whether anyone has found any significant difference between the 50mm and 56mm variety. Interested in picking up a 56mm since it's on sale myself.

I have a 5.5-22x56 MOAR HS/ZS and in my opinion, the MOAR is the best moa reticle available.

I can't offer an opinion as to whether the 56 is too large for your rifle. I have two NF scopes with the MOAR reticle and has become my favorite. They are both 50mm and one is mounted on a McMillan and the other on 6.5 CM custom build. Both are large rifles and the scope scales well. The guys at NF say it is becoming their most popular. Their warranty is bombproof and wouldn't worry about them discontinuing the 56mm because they will continue to service it regardless.

Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I have been eyeing NF scopes and playing with them on a buddies rifle for a couple years now and have finally got myself to a place where it fits into the budget.

I have a feeling the scope will sit just fine on a large frame AR and I am really excited about the reticle.

Looks like we will be calling Sport Optics in the morning to see if they have a couple in stock!

Any thoughts on ring height or which mount to go with? I really liked the last Bobro mount I used maybe ill go that direction.

Bobro is an excellent choice!

Before you drop coin on amount you should take a look at GDI, SPUHR, and American Defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShooterMcGavin33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you referring to the Noveske N4 (5.56)?

I have never heard of an N6 (.308) with CL barrels or monolithic uppers? Maybe I am out of the loop, I have only had it for a couple years. I have also never heard of them referred to as small in comparison to ANYTHING on the planet?

My N6 is about as big as an AR gets and it weighs somewhere between 13lbs and an Volkswagen Beetle with a full gas tank.... I am more concerned with performance than how it will look, although I think we are talking about 2 different rifles.

I realize it will be large on my lady friend's 556 but its an 18" SPR so its no small AR15 itself with the quad rail and Ops Inc 12 brake hanging off the barrel. We considered a 2.5-10 but with the eventual goal of putting it on a 726 OBR a 3.5-15 seemed to make more sense.
The possibility of removing the BUIS in the front is a non issue, this wont be going anywhere and for close up work I have a 556. This is more of a bench gun/ sitting in a stand rifle. I would not want to hump this thing around a mountain...

Anyone else want to chime in? </div></div>

You are absolutely correct. I have never heard of an Noveske Afghan N6 either. Both of mine are Afghan N4's 5.56's one with the monolithic receiver and ss barrel the other with the muir receiver and a cl barrel. my mistake I don't know how I managed to type N6. Getting old I guess. You are also correct on a 308 N6 the scope wouldn't be a problem. But on the N4 5.56 the scope seemed to large for it, but that just my personal taste. But it's a personal choice and and with the 18" barrel,quad rail and the brake it will be just fine especially if your lady friend likes it than it's GTG. I just like to keep my 5.56 carbine with smaller scope. Now on my 308's (LMT MWS, DPMS SASS, Armalite AR10A4) that's a horse of a different color as it would be on your N6
If you want to talk about something just weighs about the same as a small car (LOL) try my AIAW folder with a Nightforce 8-32X56 with hst and zs in a AIAW 20 MOA mount and an Atlas bipod.

Thanks for the input guys! 2 NF 3.5-15x50 w/MOAR reticles are in the mail!

We ended up going with the Bobro mounts for now but I really liked the looks (not the price) of the GDI mounts, those look really nice. I will probably consider them for my next optic mount.

Thanks again!