• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Announces, 5-20x SHV Scope

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Nightforce introduces new 5-20 x 56 SHV™ riflescope

Following close on the heels of their wildly successful 4-14 x 56 SHV™, Nightforce has added a powerful new 5-20 x 56 to the competitively priced SHV™ riflescope line.
    “SHV” stands for “ShooterHunterVarminter™”, describing the great versatility of the SHV™ series. The new 5-20 x 56 SHV™ provides even greater extended-range capability to any shooter; a variable power range ideal for most big game hunting environments; and the precision that comes with high magnification for the predator and varmint hunter. It reinforces the Nightforce commitment to make the company’s renowned quality and performance available to greater numbers of hunters and shooters through the more affordable SHV™ line.

The 5-20 x 56 SHV™ is available in illuminated and non-illuminated reticle models. Illuminated versions feature center-only reticle illumination, which helps prevent low-light flare common to some “smart” reticles. External illumination control is incorporated into the side parallax adjustment. Parallax settings are marked in yards, and adjustments can be made quickly without removing the eye from the shooting position.

The same Nightforce-designed reticles offered with the 4-14 x 56 SHV™ are available in the 5-20 x 56: the IHR™ (International Hunting Reticle), an uncluttered, fast three-post design with floating center crosshair, applicable for use on virtually any game; and the MOAR™, an extremely effective minute-of-angle-based reticle that provides accurate rangefinding and hold-offs, even on small targets at long distances. Capped elevation and windage adjustments have .25 MOA click values, yielding 10 MOA per revolution of the dial. Total travel is 80 MOA elevation, 50 MOA windage within the 30mm tube.

The new 5-20 x 56 SHV™ comes standard with Nightforce ZeroSet™ technology that allows a rapid return to the shooter’s chosen zero point, even after multiple rotations of the elevation adjustment.
    The same engineering and performance that persuaded Outdoor Life’s editors to select the 4-14 x 56 SHV™ as their “Editor’s Choice” for 2014 are evident in its bigger brother. “We’ve been able to create a line of riflescopes that will outperform any in their class or price range by limiting the number of options available and using a less complex manufacturing process than our NXS™ series,” said Kyle Brown, Nightforce director of sales and marketing. “All we lowered was the price—not our standards.”

The 5-20 x 56 SHV™ provides exceptional clarity, resolution and color contrast across its entire magnification range, unlike many lesser variable-power scopes that exhibit a marked deterioration of quality toward the higher end of their power ranges.

The Nightforce 5-20 x 56 SHV™ has an introductory MSRP of $1195 non-illuminated, $1345 illuminated. “For years, our customers have asked for a less-expensive alternative to our “bulletproof” NXS™ riflescopes,” Brown added. “Now they have two.” For more information, visit www.NightforceOptics.com or call 208.476.9814.
    # # #
    10514300_10152596738002953_5675782835007297126_o.jpg

I'm a fan of NF, I own two NXS's. My only gripe with them was the lack of numbers on the parallax knob. I contacted NF, and they basically told me I was wrong for wanting such a feature. They explained (and I understand and agree) that the numbers are approximations and will rarely be spot on due to variations in the atmosphere. I told them I understood that but would still like some numbers on the knob so I could quickly get close when shooting in time sensitive competitions where there isn't the luxury of time to perfectly refine parallax. Nope, that's a dumb idea, Tim.

It's interesting to see that this new line has numbers.

My quibble aside, this looks to be a nice addition to the line.

Last edited:
    I'm a fan of NF, I own two NXS's. My only gripe with them was the lack of numbers on the parallax knob. I contacted NF, and they basically told me I was wrong for wanting such a feature. They explained (and I understand and agree) that the numbers are approximations and will rarely be spot on due to variations in the atmosphere. I told them I understood that but would still like some numbers on the knob so I could quickly get close when shooting in time sensitive competitions where there isn't the luxury of time to perfectly refine parallax. Nope, that's a dumb idea, Tim.

It's interesting to see that this new line has numbers.

My quibble aside, this looks to be a nice addition to the line.

A fine tip paint pen works well for marking your parallax numbers. Comes off fairly easily with some acetone if you make a mistake or want to remove them for whatever reason.

Geb

I was just saying last week that I wish my SHV went to 20x. This'll be my new scope for the .22.

Anyone know who's got em in stock/ release date?

Thanks,
    Steve.

I'd really like to have one of these but why in the heck aren't they MIL/MIL with exposed turrets?! I won't be getting one because of this which sucks because I'd like to put them on a few rifles. I tried to convince myself that I won't be doing much dialing on my varmint rig (I don't get a lot of long shots) anyway so it really doesn't matter but it irks me that it's not MIL/MIL and that's the way everything is going...And $1345 MSRP for illuminated is approaching NXS territory with less features. I don't get it.

These will make a good addition to the line, if people are concerned about price they won't buy them or they will spend the extra on the NXS. I'm willing to bet, they sell! They wouldn't release something like this without doing some market research, that's just not smart business and they don't seem to be going under.

...And $1345 MSRP for illuminated is approaching NXS territory with less features. I don't get it.

That's my hang-up too. For a mere $300 more you can get a 5.5-22 NXS with the MOAR. Even less if you want a different reticle. And the NXS turrets go to 20MOA per revolution.

That's my hang-up too. For a mere $300 more you can get a 5.5-22 NXS with the MOAR. Even less if you want a different reticle. And the NXS turrets go to 20MOA per revolution.

Bingo. I got a 3-15 MIL/MIL, and zero stop at that price point $1650ish.

Does anyone know how these compare (glass wise) to a Leupy VX3? When I look at the features they seem pretty comparable except the VX3 cost a couple hundred less.

I'm more of a NXS guy myself. Depending on the price point a used NXS may be offer me more value but I'm sure NF thinks there is a market, maybe they are trying to compete with the lower priced vortex units with similar power ranges.

5-20, MOA turrets with zero stop, MOA reticule, non-illuminated with street price of 1200 (we all know that means <1100) sounds like an excellent target scope to me. I'd love to see a 3-12x56 with that MOA reticule and a zero stop that would push me over the edge to buy one.

I'd really like to have one of these but why in the heck aren't they MIL/MIL with exposed turrets?!

Who knows maybe someone in marketing is worried about SHV's cutting into NXS sales? Or maybe they just haven't made a mildot/MLR type reticule for them yet?

I must be missing something. The cheapest new NF (close to this one in magnification) is the 5.5-22x50 without Zerostop, which is $1770ish. The most comparable model NXS is this one: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop MOAR C434 On Sale

$300 is a lot of money to some people. $600 is even more. Each one has a purpose and a shooter that wants it, so why not?

I wonder if the glass is the same on the SHV as the NXS? Or is that one of the compromises vs cost?

Id rather see NF fill orders on scopes already in production then spend more time on R&D with new scopes.
    for fucks sake we saw the Beast at SHOT 13 and i read that you boys are still waiting on orders.

In Australia, its seems to be a long time waiting.

Id rather see NF fill orders on scopes already in production then spend more time on R&D with new scopes.
    for fucks sake we saw the Beast at SHOT 13 and i read that you boys are still waiting on orders.

In Australia, its seems to be a long time waiting.

Always nice to get a fresh perspective on things. I had no idea. You can pretty much get them here in US if you want one they are in stock.

Good to hear orders are flowing.
    to put things in perspective without adding too much personal depth.

We pay, here in australia an absolute ton more than you boys do.
    the question of how much is not relevant or applied here, yet it is closely followed with availability.

I spoke with Nightforce Headquarters In Adelaide last week regarding a potential rifle build and even they couldn't get their hands on a BEAST.

And $1345 MSRP for illuminated is approaching NXS territory with less features. I don't get it.

You guys do realize MSRP isn't what they will sale for? If you are comparing MSRP of a comparable NXS to the MSRP of the SHV, there is more than $300 difference. Comparing the MSRP of the SHV to the selling price of the NXS isn't a fair comparison, IMO.

I have to agree Jay, except for very long range rigs or the odd opportunity at very very low light I would NOT want a 56 mm objective. Weight not withstanding, that much objective lens , at least for me, just makes the rifle top heavy and un-wieldy at best. a 56mm lens puts that centerline of the scope even higher above center of the bore. But that's just me...to each his own.

Dear Night Force,

Shorten the turret towers and use exposed adjusters and you will have a winner. No sense in having Zero Stop on a scope where the caps will have to be removed- in the field, where they will be dropped and lost- to take advantage of the Zero Stop. Other than that, this looks to be a good hunting scope, if optical quality has not been compromised

I must be missing something. The cheapest new NF (close to this one in magnification) is the 5.5-22x50 without Zerostop, which is $1770ish. The most comparable model NXS is this one: Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop MOAR C434 On Sale

$300 is a lot of money to some people. $600 is even more. Each one has a purpose and a shooter that wants it, so why not?

This could be devated forever. Lets say you decide against the MOAR reticle, you can get this one for $1566. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R2 C231

What if the MSRP of the new SHV is fairly accurate? You are in over $1300 for less features, yet same weight. I'd wait a couple more months and get the NXS.

I'll venture out on a limb and speculate that much of the SH community is probably not the target audience of the SHV scopes.

While many SH folks tend to be rather serious shooters firing hundreds or thousands of rounds annually (with many who also hunt), the SHV scopes seem more steered towards people that primarily hunt (and maybe also shoot some but on a more limited basis).

My 2 cents...

Good to hear orders are flowing.
    to put things in perspective without adding too much personal depth.

We pay, here in australia an absolute ton more than you boys do.
    the question of how much is not relevant or applied here, yet it is closely followed with availability.

I spoke with Nightforce Headquarters In Adelaide last week regarding a potential rifle build and even they couldn't get their hands on a BEAST.

bill i must have a good dealer as i just paid $2011us for a NXS 5.5-22x56 zero stop MOAR rec it's more yes but not a lot more