• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce ATACR 7-35x T3 Military Dark Earth Scope

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Northern VA
    charliescustomclones.com
    Not sure what the interest might be, but here is our first military grade ATACR with what is called a SOCOM locking turret. Thought it was cool. This will be very low volume, but wanted to share some pics. Interesting that the military opted non-illuminated. These are referred to as "day optics" but I guess I just prefer illuminated reticles in the day as well. It might be as basic, as one less thing to go wrong (battery is worn out, place to carry a battery).

Military thinks on a different level than the precision civilian. Many times, the military sniper is ahead of the PRS or ELR shooter in thinking. Many times a decade behind, especially when the guy who signs off on the new product has the option of actually testing and going out for bids and selection, or picking an NSN number and moving on.

ATACR-mil.jpgATACR-mil-01.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7153 (1).jpgthumbnail_IMG_7154_1.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7156.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7157.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7162 (1).jpgthumbnail_IMG_7163.jpg
    complete setup can be found here: Nightforce ATACR 7-35 military SOCOM turret scope for Mk22

For the Mk22 Barrett sniper rifle, it appears that two different Nightforce ATACR scopes are offered. One for the Army generally, and one for SOCOM units. Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35x is fielded on some as well, but not sure the delineation of which units get what. This is obviously getting deployed now, and will take years to fully field, so scopes will like change more.

We did some begging that perhaps helped Nightforce release their Desert Earth earlier this year. We have some continued gobbling to ask for more of this and that. I think they are tired of us asking, but we have strong demand for military optics and weaponry. I can't help it if scope companies want to cater to hunters as well. ;)

Last edited:
    I hate that elevation turret, specifically the locking knob. I don't know who keeps insisting I need that; I do know, I just don't agree. The locking turret on the 4-16x is so much better, and they can put it on the 7-35x, but honestly I don't need a locking turret at all.

I hate that elevation turret, specifically the locking knob. I don't know who keeps insisting I need that; I do know, I just don't agree. The locking turret on the 4-16x is so much better, and they can put it on the 7-35x, but honestly I don't need a locking turret at all.
    It’s to bad Leupold pumped the brakes on that. The 7-35 with the 4-16 low profile locking turret would be awesome. But with illumination

Reactions: BurtG
    It’s to bad Leupold pumped the brakes on that. The 7-35 with the 4-16 low profile locking turret would be awesome. But with illumination
    This.

My favorite turret

Shane they couldn’t pay royalties or something

Wonder if it’s possible to buy that turret for existing “civilian” dark earth scopes. Not sure if locking mechanism is on the cap itself or the turret.

Reactions: AwkwardlySocial
    Wonder if it’s possible to buy that turret for existing “civilian” dark earth scopes. Not sure if locking mechanism is on the cap itself or the turret.
    It looks to be a transplant from the BEAST line of scopes just with .1 clicks vs the BEAST .2 mrad. I’ve seen some 4-20 have the same turret, looks like the contract called for a locking turret and that was the solution. It would be a nice retrofit to existing scopes if NF would do it.

For military work I like locking turrets. If my turret doesn’t lock and it’s night I definitely would prefer to know where my elevation is at. We had scopes without locking turrets - not something I enjoyed. This method of locking though, I wish they had done their traditional locking method simply press the button style.
    I honestly don’t understand why they went with the beast turrets? I don’t think anyone testing this scope for very long would prefer this style.
    But ultimately the 7-35 is a big upgrade and does well on top of the mrad. Overall it’s a win for mil snipers.

For military work I like locking turrets. If my turret doesn’t lock and it’s night I definitely would prefer to know where my elevation is at. We had scopes without locking turrets - not something I enjoyed. This method of locking though, I wish they had done their traditional locking method simply press the button style.
    I honestly don’t understand why they went with the beast turrets? I don’t think anyone testing this scope for very long would prefer this style.
    But ultimately the 7-35 is a big upgrade and does well on top of the mrad. Overall it’s a win for mil snipers.
    As long as I have a zero stop, I know where I am at night and I can't remember ever having a NF turret bump on me; Leupold, yes, because they have softer clicks. The "SOCOM" style locking turret sucks (real bitchy about set screw torque) and the caps for the lock frequently come loose and get lost. I maintain I would prefer the Zero-Hold turret if locking is required, but I still don't need a locking turret.

Don't get me started on the MRAD. As a system it's fine but it's no good without ammo and definitely no good when hundreds of the guns had bad uppers that still need replaced.

"Military thinks on a different level than the precision civilian. Many times, the military sniper is ahead of the PRS or ELR shooter in thinking. Many times a decade behind, especially when the guy who signs off on the new product has the option of actually testing and going out for bids and selection, or picking an NSN number and moving on."

LOL eh no.....

Reactions: sneakypayload
    As long as I have a zero stop, I know where I am at night and I can't remember ever having a NF turret bump on me; Leupold, yes, because they have softer clicks. The "SOCOM" style locking turret sucks (real bitchy about set screw torque) and the caps for the lock frequently come loose and get lost. I maintain I would prefer the Zero-Hold turret if locking is required, but I still don't need a locking turret.

Don't get me started on the MRAD. As a system it's fine but it's no good without ammo and definitely no good when hundreds of the guns had bad uppers that still need replaced.
    Yeah I gotcha I work at school house on Bragg, I think we’ve seen the gambit with that NF and the mk22.

It’s good we caught the problem with the upper. There’s a few more things that will have to be remedied. I think it’s like any new weapon fielding. The testing before they’re issue is never going to catch all the problems that arise when they’re actually in guys hands for a bunch of rounds.

The ammo thing - yeah that sucks I agree.