• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR - can’t set zero stop

jab00

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
Has any one run into this issue? I’m going to call NF customer service, but I figured that I’d check here as well just to make sure that I’m not missing something.

For whatever reason, I cannot get the top zero stop clutch to spin down to the lower clutch on my elevation turret.

I followed the directions (loosen the set screws on the turret dial and then loosened the 4 screws on the top of tower) but I could not get the top clutch to move towards the bottom of the tower).

Just to make sure that wasn’t being an idiot or missing something obvious, I had two other guys that are very familiar with NF scopes take a look and they couldn’t get it to budge either. I didn’t want to force anything too hard, so I stopped trying to move it, tightened the screws finger tight and then put the cap back on.

Any ideas as to what’s going on?

Do you still have any down elevation that the turret will move? Also take a pic from the side that would help.

Yep - I did have enough down elevation to get it zeroed but just couldn’t get the top part to spin down. I’ll post a picture of the clutch positions when I get a chance

It could have been tightened to tight the last time it was set. I have seen that happen.

Reactions: jab00
It could have been tightened to tight the last time it was set. I have seen that happen.

True. The only thing is that this was the first time I’ve tried setting it so it must have left the factory this way. This was the first time that I tried setting it. It’s just a mystery to me because I’ve seen other guys do this and the clutch moves freely. Mine wouldn’t move at all in either direction.

Last edited:
It might be that the upper clutch plate is snug against the upper stop. It might just take a little tap like equilibrium did to break it loose.

I recently sent in an NSX to get checked over and when it come back the Zero Stop upper clutch plate was all the way up. It wasn't stuck but it was turned as far up. I suppose they do this so the customer can have the full elevation range.

Reactions: jab00
It might be that the upper clutch plate is snug against the upper stop. It might just take a little tap like equilibrium did to break it loose.

I recently sent in an NSX to get checked over and when it come back the Zero Stop upper clutch plate was all the way up. It wasn't stuck but it was turned as far up. I suppose they do this so the customer can have the full elevation range.

I’ll try give a light tap when I get a chance and see if that works for me as well

I tried to see if I could get the clutch to move again and what I’ve noticed is that, even with the (4) screws loosened, I’m still getting clicks when I try to move the clutch down. I turned each screw about 1 1/2 - 2 revolutions, so I don’t think any of them should be holding onto anything

Fed Ex ground, fully insured plus packaging. The fact that I'm even paying to ship a 5 month old scope that's been to 4 matches has me a little wound up. Seriously thinking about making the full switch to Vortex.

Fed Ex ground, fully insured plus packaging. The fact that I'm even paying to ship a 5 month old scope that's been to 4 matches has me a little wound up. Seriously thinking about making the full switch to Vortex.
Yeah that sucks to send in a new scope. Next time use USPS and spend half that insured.

$107 to ship it...? How the hell did you ship it?

That's about what I paid to ship mine in as well. I'm not sure why I didn't think about sending it USPS with full insurance, I just went to Fedex like a robot.

The good news is that I got my scope back from NF within two weeks of sending it in. They replaced the entire elevation tower as part of the warranty repair. The scope works fine now in terms of zero stop the clutch spins nice and easy.

Reactions: Sixfivesavage