• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce ATACR - Setting the Zero Stop - help

element56

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
Washington (part time in CA)
I received a new Nightforce ATACR scope this week and had a chance to get out and sight it in yesterday. The range is well outside cell coverage and I didn't have the manual so I figured I would set up the Zero Stop when home. Following the instructions in the manual as well as the steps in this video I wasn't able to get the zero stop set correctly.

I am having trouble with the upper clutch plate and getting it to lower all the way down to make contact with the the lower clutch plate. I was able to spin the upper clutch plate about a 1/2 revolution before it tightened up and the turret clicked (thus messing up the zero from the range). The free spin described in the manual and shown in the video is not what I am seeing or experiencing. In other videos online with NXS scopes the clutch has a LOT more free spin.

The upper clutch plate is sitting really high up. After putting the turret cap back on the zero stop is 17 mil high based on rotations. I didn't want to loosen the 4 clutch screws anymore than the recommended 1.5 to 2 turns per the manual and video warnings.

Planning to make another trip to the range to zero it in again but looking for additional advice on how to get the zero stop set correctly. What am I missing from the video/manual instructions? Is there something else that needs to be tuned?

Any help is appreciated.

(New to the hide and new to precision shooting... long time shooter with many other rifles and optics. First time with a zero stop scope.)

I had the same problem. Moving the turret to a different position loosened up the clutch plate. I am having a hard time remembering the specifics, but it seems like I had to put a bunch of elevation in my turret, then loosen the clutch plate screws and screw it all the way down. Then I was able to zero my scope, and follow the manual procedure. I think that having the turret already up against the zero stop was causing me to have issues. Sorry if I am describing a different problem than what you have.

These could be important details. If running a 7-35 (~100moa travel), 20moa integral base and canted mount like a spuhr 30 moa, that could be part of issue if close to bottom of travel.

I did try a few different rotations on the elevation but that didn't seem to affect the clutch mechanism. I didn't think the the scope would need a "break-in" period for things to loosen up as that seems a bit contrary to being a precision optic.

To loosen/lower the zero stop, you need to be rotating up/counterclockwise... Is that the direction you are turning the zero stop clutch?

If you were lowering it, that sets the zerostop to your current elevation position. Raise it all the way to the top (highest possible position) and you will have no zero stop. Then zero and after zeroed, turn clutch all the way down and zerostop is set.