• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce ELR Questions

Randall3rd

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 28, 2021
NJ
Sooooo, looking to attend the Nightforce ELR competition next June and I have never attended a competition before. Can anyone shed some light on questions, would appreciate some advice??
1. I noticed that there are "squads" that have 10 people or so in them. Do you have to go as a squad? I do not know anyone else attending.
2. Are you on foot the whole day station to station? Or do you drive between spots?
3. SUV needed or can I rent a Fiat?
4. Flying in from the east coast - Denver, CO the closest place? Looks to be a 3hour+ drive from there. Any other ideas I have missed?
5. Looks like Casper and Douglas are the 2 towns that are closest to the competition, is that where most stay?
6. Terrain looks challenging, do you carry a shooting mat with you all over? or just get in the gravel and ice your elbows later?

What else am I missing? Anything else I should know? Thanks!!!

I didn't shot it this last year, but I don't think much has changed?

Yes, you're part of a squad, if I recall, you can pick an available slot in any squad.

Yes, you are on foot most of the day. You may have the opportunity to drive across the course once depending on where you start. The course is a big C- Shape.

Just about any vehicle short of maybe a Ferrari or Corvette can access the place. Last mile or so is a dirt road.

I would fly into Denver and rent a car from there. 3-1/2 hours to Douglas, another 45-min or so to Casper. Casper has nicer hotels, and a better selection of restaurants.

No shooting mat required, some stages the RO may put one out for everyone to use. It's bone dry, arid terrain, some areas it's like the Moon without any vegetation.

Be prepared for the wind, it can get upwards of 50-mph at times. There's a wind farm right next door.

I would recommend a cover for your rifle. The dust can take your action and or trigger down for the count. If I ever shoot it again, I will carry and store my rifle in a scabbard or drag bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Plus one for an action cover! Dust will wreck your day. Bring spare parts, trigger, extractor, scope. No driving to and from stages. We got shuttled in a trailer, dust was horrible! Bring plenty of cleaning gear and a can of compressed air. Looking forward to next year. Almost Any vehicle can get to the parking area. Lots of hiking, stay hydrated, bring snacks, sunscreen, lip balm, eye drops. Did I mention the dust is like talcum powder?

Thanks for the information so far! Dust cover, def did not think of that!

Did most people bring their own tripod/spotting/binocs/rangefinder to get a better idea of the targets?

Last time I shot the match, I was running one of those full length nylon covers that fit over the end of the barrel, and then stretch to the back, over the recoil pad, open on the bottom, except had a couple Velcro tabs. That wasn't enough, with the wind they have there.
At one stage, I grounded my rifle with cover next to an ant hill, and when I went to shoot, the wind had taken the sand (consistency of rock salt) off the ant hill and blew it up under the cover and into my action. It filled up the action raceway, and chamber with that sand. I was lucky, because it was easy to get out. If it was moon dust, or regular type dust that likes sticking to stuff, especially lubed bolts and raceways, I would have been screwed.

Sooooo, looking to attend the Nightforce ELR competition next June and I have never attended a competition before. Can anyone shed some light on questions, would appreciate some advice??
1. I noticed that there are "squads" that have 10 people or so in them. Do you have to go as a squad? I do not know anyone else attending. The squad is just to start on the stage, as soon as you shoot your stage you pack up and move on unless you’re helping with scoring.
2. Are you on foot the whole day station to station? for the most part yes. The land owner requested the least amount of driving because it’s still a working ranch. Or do you drive between spots?
3. SUV needed or can I rent a Fiat? suv is better, last mile can get soft and rutted out
4. Flying in from the east coast - Denver, CO the closest place? Looks to be a 3hour+ drive from there. Any other ideas I have missed? you can fly right into Casper.
5. Looks like Casper and Douglas are the 2 towns that are closest to the competition, is that where most stay? yes, Casper has better food, Douglas doesn’t have much of anything
6. Terrain looks challenging, do you carry a shooting mat with you all over? or just get in the gravel and ice your elbows later? you can do either, most stages aren’t bad on the elbows

What else am I missing? Anything else I should know? Thanks!!!

Bring a tripod and binos, you will want to get landmarks on targets before you get on the gun as well as get some idea what wind is doing, I’ve seen 60+ mph winds there.

1. Just choose a random squad, that's what I did last year. Met some super nice people
2. Last year it was foot all day except for there was two long points where they had shuttle trucks picked you up at the end and drove you back.
3. Any car will be fine
4. Not sure on closest major airport sorry.
5. Stay in Casper.
6. You don't need a mat but you can bring one if you like, a couple stages have them out.

couple other things bring water and snacks, they have lunch at a half way point and water for you but a couple stages had run out so it was nice to have my own. Sunscreen and a hooded shirt are almost a must. You'll need a pack to haul your ammo and shit, bring tools also.

One big thing is make sure your load doesn't make pressure in those temps/ elevation. I was having extraction issues, I know my primary extraction could have been better and is now. I had some hurdles that prevented me from developing a load that was at the lower powder node so I went with what I knew. I know of at least 5 broken extractors at the match.

Also mag feed if you can, I had no problem with time singe feeding but definitely a disadvantage. Bino's and tripod are a must, someone else will let you look through there's but it's just easier to have your own.

Fair warning practice day is a bit of a gong show so just get in there and do what you need to.

***GPS get super lost out there when you are going to the match drive to Glenrock, go north on 95, then left at the Sinclair gas station, follow the signs for the next left. I tried gps from Gillette to the match, that was an absolute mess.