• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge 13-14 June Q Creek WY

This is an excellent match in one of the coolest places you'll ever get to shoot. I plan on being there again

They have a Unicorn ? shoot that is a benefit fundraiser for I believe Special Operations family scholarship fund? Format was a little different last year than previous year. Last year the Unicorn steel target was at something like 1938-yards, and you paid to take shots at it. I think I hit it 14 or 16 times out 40 rounds fired with my 7 SAUM. I didn’t come close to max number of hits which I believe was 38? I think some barrel life was expended during that event.
They also have the ELR world record event contest on Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: sstacllc
Same question. I am signed up and have lots of work to do on my match rifle(s), but I don't know whether to show up early for Friday or not.

We will likely have an event on Friday, with sponsors doing demos and setting up tables, and it's the best day to do sight-in and dope confirmation.

SOLD OUT!.jpg

We're very excited for this year's match. Registration opened up Friday morning, and by Friday evening it was over 85% sold, and by Saturday it was completely sold out. If you're looking to get on a waitlist, you can still register and be placed on one through practiscore.

Reactions: Alpine 338
Same question. I am signed up and have lots of work to do on my match rifle(s), but I don't know whether to show up early for Friday or not.
There will be targets out to 1800 on the zero range. Plus as was mentioned there will be a target out at 1952 yards as a fund raiser for the SF Association Scholarship fund

Reactions: reich10
This is going to be a BLAST. I wish there was more video productions from the past years to get a better idea of how this competition goes down. Maybe I'll bring some gopros and throw something together for anyone interested in attending next year. I am Two buddies are struggling to decide on which type of rifles to bring. 6.5,300s, or the 338s and 375s.

This is going to be a BLAST. I wish there was more video productions from the past years to get a better idea of how this competition goes down. Maybe I'll bring some gopros and throw something together for anyone interested in attending next year. I am Two buddies are struggling to decide on which type of rifles to bring. 6.5,300s, or the 338s and 375s.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, the terrain is all natural. Even though you'll be engaging every target from the prone, you will be on top of rocks, gravel, sand, up against bushes, etc. The guys who typically shoot at a square range, off of a smooth level pad, or off of a bench are the ones who have difficulty with the match. Last year when they opened up the match to 375's and above, those guys wasted quite a bit of time trying to get their big heavy rigs into a good stable shooting position.

Reactions: Ordnance Locker
Great piece of advice! Were most guys running 6.5, 7s, and 300s?
Was there a fair amount of moving targets? That is something have not encountered before, but it sounds like a really good time.

Great piece of advice! Were most guys running 6.5, 7s, and 300s?
Was there a fair amount of moving targets? That is something have not encountered before, but it sounds like a really good time.

Actually a big mix of calibers. Everything from 6mm and up. I think it was a 25-06 that won it last year? Until last year, I always shot the match with a 7 SAUM and did well with it. Last year I shot it with a 30 Nosler, and will again this year. Honestly, I don't think there is one perfect caliber for this match. Obviously, the smaller bullets get pushed more by the the wind, but with the magnums, you have to manage the recoil.

Yes, there was a mover.

Once again we've had tremendous Sponsor support this year. We want to say "Thank You" to those sponsors, which currently includes....

Nightforce Optics.jpg

Accuracy International.jpg

American Precision Arms.jpg

Area 419.jpg

B&T Industries.jpg

BadRock Rifles.jpg

Barrett.jpg

Bartlein.jpg

Blackjack Bullets.jpg

Blue Mountain Precision.jpg

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
@sstacllc just trying to book my flight and wondering if there’s an approximate time we might be done Sunday? There’s some flights out of Casper leaving at 5:50 PM not sure if that’s cutting it too close or not. Thanks!

Reactions: sstacllc
@sstacllc just trying to book my flight and wondering if there’s an approximate time we might be done Sunday? There’s some flights out of Casper leaving at 5:50 PM not sure if that’s cutting it too close or not. Thanks!
That would be close to impossible If you need to be home Sunday night look to fly in and out of Denver its about a 3 hour drive from the Q. If everything goes perfect we will be done shooting by 330 and awards by 600 its an hour to Casper going 70 mph

Location Change? Tillard Ranch?

Yes, we announced it last week, and we've been continuing to work out details going forward.

"Hey Guys and Gals, for unforeseen and unknown reasons, the Q Creek owners have made the Q Creek off limits to rifle matches. Consequently the Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge will be changing venues this year and relocating to the Tillard 55 Ranch, just outside of Glenrock, Wyoming. Fortunately it will be on the same dates, in the same State, and closer to Casper.

Last Friday, we were given the unfortunate news that rifle matches were no longer being allowed at the Q Creek. We immediately scrambled to find a suitable and close alternate location. Tad Anderson has done his best to advocate on our behalf, and we appreciate all the help and support that he continues to give us, which is substantial and ongoing. In the best interest of our shooters and sponsors, we wanted to give you all notice immediately upon knowing where we would be moving the location.

We are grateful that Casey Tillard from the T-55 is willing to let us use his ranch to host the match. There are some very tangible benefits to the move. The match format will remain the same. The new location is closer to Casper than the Q, the shooting locations are more accessible from the concrete, and it's extremely close to Glenrock. Glenrock has hotels and restaurants, there are multiple R/V parks right on the North Platte River, meaning shooters will spend less time traveling.
The Nightforce ELR Steel Challenge will continue, it will still be a unique and fun experience, it will simply be set on a different stage this year. I’m super excited about the new possibilities with the new landowner partnership. If the weather is good we will have a steel moving party before the Gunwerks match. Reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.

v/r
Scott Satterlee
"

Reactions: reich10
No idea how the PM works on this site 🙈🙈. Can you send in Facebook messenger?

Is there any information about wining calibers? From initial knowledge it seems .300 Norma was quite good :)

Is there going to be an article published about the event? I went two days to watch and learn. I got an education and a heck of a sunburn. May try to compete next year.

Post up some of what you learned, I'd sure enjoy reading it.

I learned:
1.) Don't forget the damn sunblock, if I were smarter, I could have asked to borrow some
2.) rifle scope magnifications on the high end were 25x and higher
3.) all the competition targets were black to stop complaints
4.) the smart squads used a single mat for the entire squad
5.) the shooter is responsible for spotting their own misses and making corrections (no coaching from the spotters)
6.) wear plenty of light weight sunblock clothing as if fishing all day, as in much of the desert southwest, if you want shade wear it
7.) be prepared to eat dirt (the wind is not your friend)
8.) knee and elbow pads are recommended
9.) if you can't tolerate standing all day between your turn to shoot, bring a portable folding stool
10.) depending on your starting station, lunch could be a long time off, carry something to hold you over
11.) stay hydrated, they had the shooting stations setup with cases of bottled water
12.) overall, I thought the whole thing was well setup and managed
13.) the land owners were great to talk with, I learned that they needed 40 acres of land for each sheep
14.) it was nice to see couples, families and otherwise challenged individuals being accommodated and assisted throughout the competition
15.) the folks who catered the dinner were also great, I enjoyed the pulled pork sandwiches on Saturday
16.) as in most wind challenged shooting, the heavier 30 cals ruled the weekend
17.) I would absolutely recommend this event to any shooter wanting to compete in this venue

Last edited:
Reactions: rockmyglock
What's the black targets/complaints about?
One of the RO's told me that at previous shoots there were complaints that as groups progressed through the stages the easy to see paint colors were all shot off. I guess the whiners weren't smart enough to realize everyone has to deal with the same conditions. So the match directors fixed it by going all black targets to start, except the unicorn.

Reactions: rockmyglock