• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce extreme duty rings

Gohring65

Cheap bastard
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Ohio
    I bought a set used and they are set up for weaver rails, can I rotate the lug and it fit tighter on a pic rail? Maybe a updated cross bolt lug?
    Thanks

Last edited:
    Could you expound on how you deduced they're set up for Weaver rails? NF rings are designed for pic rails, there may be some fore and aft movement but that's normal with most scope rings. The standard procedure is to push them forward in the slot and torque them down. I've done this with half a dozen or more NF UL ring sets and I've never had any issues out of them.

Could you expound on how you deduced they're set up for Weaver rails? NF rings are designed for pic rails, there may be some fore and aft movement but that's normal with most scope rings. The standard procedure is to push them forward in the slot and torque them down. I've done this with half a dozen or more NF UL ring sets and I've never had any issues out of them.
    This is my second set thru the years both had the narrower lug.
    Yes it’s the old forward and aft movement we all see and used deal with, but I thought they may have been a old set, because of the play, they are way looser than my Seekins and Burris. If I would have got a report back that others are tight like Seekins, I would probably ask Nightforce to send me updated lugs, I’m not against shoving them forward, but wanted to make sure they weren’t a old style first.
    Thanks for the info, I also emailed Nightforce, I’m expecting the same type of response. Here’s a pic next to a snug fitting Arken set, the size is noticeably narrower, I’m not against it, just wondering if there was a update, because they advertise a precision machine fit for pic rails.
    0944A1A0-86FA-4305-BF04-CD10857C9B8C.jpeg

I understand what you're saying and it seems your NF rings are good to go. Some manufacturers have thicker recoil lugs that give it a nice tight fit but that can have drawbacks as tolerances start stacking between the rings and base. NF, like quite a few other manufacturers, is playing it safe by allowing some extra clearance between the lug and base slot to ensure compatibility across a wide range of picatinny scope bases.

I understand what you're saying and it seems your NF rings are good to go. Some manufacturers have thicker recoil lugs that give it a nice tight fit but that can have drawbacks as tolerances start stacking between the rings and base. NF, like quite a few other manufacturers, is playing it safe by allowing some extra clearance between the lug and base slot to ensure compatibility across a wide range of picatinny scope bases.
    I can definitely see the point of tolerance stack.

The Arken fits much better is the bad part.
    Sounds like you don’t recognize where the “fit” matters. Sometimes shit isn’t supposed to be a press fit.

Also, the thinner allows you to use it on a thinner weaver spec also and allows for more applicability.

Reactions: Supersubes
    Sounds like you don’t recognize where the “fit” matters. Sometimes shit isn’t supposed to be a press fit.
    Well Mr. airsoft I get that, I was asking if there was a update. I wasn’t bashing Nightforce, you seem like you want to argue about it?
    I get the feeling “airsoft” gets thrown around a lot by your wife or boyfriend.
    Come on with it.
    You add nothing to the conversation but smart ass remarks! Fucking with you scope lickers is like beating super Mario brothers for the millionth time.
    Yawn… so fuckin predictable and boring.
    You’re probably the most predictable, because you don’t have anything constructive to add ever.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Milf Dots

Also, the thinner allows you to use it on a thinner weaver spec also and allows for more applicability.
    Exactly. The tolerance between slot and lug are not supposed to bump into one another. .001” or .01” clearance make absolutely zero difference. As far as I know there is no standard specification for items going on the rail, only for the rail itself.

E19D708A-DEEB-4471-BCB4-E6610C93ABAC.gif

Reactions: E. Bryant
    Exactly. The tolerance between slot and lug are not supposed to bump into one another. .001” or .01” clearance make absolutely zero difference. As far as I know there is no standard specification for items going on the rail, only for the rail itself.

View attachment 7791504
    Absolutely none of my rings are a press fit, if you read my post, I’m aware of the weaver compatibility, I was asking if there was a update. I was asking, because of the literature Nightforce puts out with their rings, i was going to have them send me the updated lugs that’s all. I’m not picking on the beloved Nightforce brand. I’ve contacted them enough thru the years to know they would hook me up it there was a update.

Are not those lugs press fit into the ring?
    Yes but easily removed and replaced.
    This could be difficult for people who can’t change oil or brakes on their car, but it’s really that simple.

No they don't. It's a pic rail - either they fit or they don't. There is no "better fit".
    You’re wrong, they fit better, I know this because I tried them myself. You guys are trying to look smart by being technical, it’s about feel. If you have two pair of shoes, one is the two sizes two big, the other a half a size two big, which ones fit better. Let’s cut the shit. One “feels” better. I swear some of you guys are ruining this forum.

Last edited:
    I think what Winny is trying to convey is that when the rings are in the slot, pushed forward, and torqued down to spec, only the front of the lug is in contact with the scope base and doing any real "work". How tight the lug fits into the base slot doesn't really matter when the front of the lug is what's touching the base and providing recoil resistance.

It could be argued that the thicker lug is stronger and more robust to take more recoil but that point can be countered by the design and material selection going into a thinner lug used by other rings, like the NF. I haven't used the Arken rings but I have used NF, Leupold, Badger Ordnance, Burris, UTG Pro, and Vortex and they all fit pic rails differently. I don't see it as good or bad if one fits tighter than another, just different since once I push them forward and torque them down, they all performed the same.

You’re wrong, they fit better, I know this because I tried them myself. You guys are trying to look smart by being technical, it’s about feel. If you have two pair of shoes, one is the two sizes two big, the other a half a size two big, which ones fit better. Let’s cut the shit. One “feels” better.
    Terrible analogy, sorry. This is what we’re trying to convey. What you “feel” is completely inconsequential, and has zero to do with the function of the ring.

Reactions: Gohring65
    Thanks for being respectful and helpful. It’s really becoming a rarity, I’ve seen a couple new member last about 5 minutes this week and haven’t heard from them since. Let’s have conversations without all the douche baggery, it’s really getting old. Not a swipe at the guys are helpful at all.

Terrible analogy, sorry. This is what we’re trying to convey. What you “feel” is completely inconsequential, and has zero to do with the function of the ring.
    I know it’s inconsequential, but that’s not what I was asking.

You’re wrong, they fit better, I know this because I tried them myself. You guys are trying to look smart by being technical, it’s about feel. If you have two pair of shoes, one is the two sizes two big, the other a half a size two big, which ones fit better. Let’s cut the shit. One “feels” better. I swear some of you guys are ruining this forum.
    Youre welcome to keep being wrong all you want, but it won't change the fact you're wrong. Your analogy is fairly asinine. More apt would be a glass of water - if you wanted to drink 8oz of water, both a 10oz and 12oz glass work equally well. The water doesn't "fit better" in either.
    But keep going, you spinning your wheels is entertaining.

Youre welcome to keep being wrong all you want, but it won't change the fact you're wrong. Your analogy is fairly asinine. More apt would be a glass of water - if you wanted to drink 8oz of water, both a 10oz and 12oz glass work equally well. The water doesn't "fit better" in either.
    But keep going, you spinning your wheels is entertaining.
    Why don’t you back out of the thread. I got the answer, but you seem like you want to fill up 200 pages of my thread trying to get the last word.
    Your input is not needed or relevant. I wasn’t asking about fit, I was asking about a update. But, hey, why not keep it going, that’s what every other thread here is running like.
    Bunch of guys trying to stroke their egos with the same lube they rub on their tier one scopes.
    Arken sucks
    China sucks
    Japan blah blah
    Germany loves us!
    Don’t you dare bring up anything about Nightforce!
    200 pages later.

Last edited:
    I’m going to post again for the third time this week!
    Why don’t you guys post what you want members to post about as to not disturb your peace.
    Seems like there’s three of four guys who want to control the entire narrative of this forum.
    That narrative is no discussions, just attack and troll.

Why don’t you back out of the thread. I got the answer, but you seem like you want to fill up 200 pages of my thread trying to get the last word.
    Your input is not needed or relevant. I wasn’t asking about fit, I was asking about a update. But, hey, why not keep it going, that’s what every other thread here is running like.
    Bunch of guys trying to stroke their egos with the same lube they rub on their tier one scopes.
    Arken sucks
    China sucks
    Japan blah blah
    Germany loves us!
    200 pages later.
    You sound very unhappy. Maybe step away from site and go scope ring shopping, just make sure you get the right size ;)

• Haha
    Reactions: Makinchips208
    There's a really quick and effective solution: stop being wrong and/or ignore comments that offend you.
    Wrong about what whiny?
    I asked if there was a updated cross bolt.
    You really need that last word don’t you?

Word.

Wrong about what whiny?
    I asked if there was a updated cross bolt.
    You really need that last word don’t you?
    Wrong about your assertion that your airsoft rings "fit better" than the NF. Not sure how many times it needs said not from how many you need to hear it from, but rings either fit on a pic rail or they don't. There's not a spectrum of "fit".

Wrong about your assertion that your airsoft rings "fit better" than the NF. Not sure how many times it needs said not from how many you need to hear it from, but rings either fit on a pic rail or they don't. There's not a spectrum of "fit".
    Weanie, no one was denying the fit, I was saying some fit the slot with less slop than others. That is a fact, I have at least three sets of rings that fit with less slop. That’s 100% fact, maybe you haven’t tried any other brands, but they’re out there.

Arken sucks
    China sucks
    Japan blah blah
    Germany loves us!
    200 pages later.
    China DOES suck, and zero tolerance is the only acceptable stance on the CCP, especially regarding shooting sports related products. I gave you a "Like" on post 10 because you earned it, but if you're weak on China ya might as well be locked in a room full of inflatable sheep...
    InflatableSheep.jpg

Reactions: Cr1775
    China DOES suck, and zero tolerance is the only acceptable stance on the CCP, especially regarding shooting sports related products. I gave you a "Like" on post 10 because you earned it, but if you're weak on China ya might as well be locked in a room full of inflatable sheep...View attachment 7791930
    If you have a razor or bushy elite you’re weak on China.

Last edited:
    I had to go down in the gun room and pull some scopes for pics.
    Left to right,
    Seekins
    Vortex
    And those air soft Arkens you see everywhere on everything, all three of those fit with less slop than the Nightforce. Period, it’s even obvious looking at them. Last is the beloved Nightforce rings. Look how cute those little fuckers look compared to the others.
    Less slop, means fits better here in Ohio.
    CEC48283-2B50-4733-B70E-A8CC5A9F4066.jpeg

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
    Vortex Razors and Bushnell Elite scopes are made in Japan.
    Every other product vortex makes and probably 50% of bushys products are made in China. Your razor and bushy money is most likely sent to China as soon as you swipe your card.
    Vortex is China
    Bushy is China and Korea

I don't own any Razors or Bushnell Elites, I was simply stating facts regarding the country of origin for the two particular optics you mentioned. Quite honestly this whole thread has gotten pretty embarrassing so I'm going to bow out, get me some DD's, and have a fun night.

I don't own any Razors or Bushnell Elites, I was simply stating facts regarding the country of origin for the two particular optics you mentioned. Quite honestly this whole thread has gotten pretty embarrassing so I'm going to bow out, get me some DD's, and have a fun night.
    Gotch ya!
    Sometimes the truth hurts.
    Just because a company has things made in one place, doesn’t mean it’s a large percentage of their products. As a matter of fact, it’s a very small percentage, most of their stuff is made in China. China gets most of the revenue.
    Don’t even get me started on vista outdoors.
    Weak on China! Lmao, I bet 90% of most peoples reloading room is China.

OP, I totally get where you're coming from. I've owned Nightforce rings and Leupold Mark 4 rings that share the same crossbolt design. It is a looser fit, but once tightened down they haven't moved. Then I tried Seekins rings with the beefy square lug and it is much more solid and confidence inspiring.

OP, I totally get where you're coming from. I've owned Nightforce rings and Leupold Mark 4 rings that share the same crossbolt design. It is a looser fit, but once tightened down they haven't moved. Then I tried Seekins rings with the beefy square lug and it is much more solid and confidence inspiring.
    Especially on heavy recoil rifles like scars and rifles that get knocked around quite a bit.
    For the record, I’ve never had any move either. But they do feel less secure.

Reactions: Arc Light

You're looking at the wrong fit. The only fit that matters is the width of the rail and ring. So long as it clamps tight, it'll never move.

Guys are breaking arken rings torquing them to the rail.

I'd be much less worried that a nightforce slid against the lug and torqued would ever move than the Arken cracking and falling off the rail.

You're getting all upset because it doesn't "feel right". Set the feelings aside and ask yourself does it work and do you trust it?

The arkens I posted broke at the clamp like you claim. That’s why they aren’t being used, but the lug has far less slop than the Nightforce, that’s a fact. Guys are having a hard time with it. I’m not, I got my answer early in the thread, now I’m just trolling my own thread toying with the scope lickers.
    It’s really no big deal, I just keep posting facts.
    Fact. Most of the China haters have more China stuff in the reloading room than a few scope rings.
    Another fact, Nightforce has a sloppy fit to pic rails.
    Another fact, scope lickers melt when you trash their brand.
    Another fact, this is turning into a 200 page troll thread like every other thread on snipershide.
    I actually enjoy this, most who know me here, know I’m enjoying it.
    China China China in a Nightforce cross bolt thread.
    Again, so predictable, and the usual players are showing up.

I'm probably in the minority here as most of my stuff wears cheap weaver tactical rings or Leupold if they deserve better. None of them are tight in the rails, other than one cheap AR upper that's out of spec.

Since you have started this thread with 2 options, I know which one I would trust.

You're looking at the wrong fit. The only fit that matters is the width of the rail and ring. So long as it clamps tight, it'll never move.

Guys are breaking arken rings torquing them to the rail.

I'd be much less worried that a nightforce slid against the lug and torqued would ever move than the Arken cracking and falling off the rail.

You're getting all upset because it doesn't "feel right". Set the feelings aside and ask yourself does it work and do you trust it?
    B41549B5-0354-42C5-BE23-686A1DD82F11.jpeg

The Arkens suffered the failure you claim, that’s why they aren’t getting used.
    Don’t ever think I’m getting upset. I predicted this whole deal. 200 page troll thread.
    China China China!
    Most guys here don’t even realize how much China is in there gun room.
    Don’t worry about me getting upset, I’m actually enjoying this.
    Facts are facts, scope lickers will melt over their favorite brand.
    It’s so predictable and the usual players are showing up. I think someone went out and got the girls to come back and party.

Last edited: