• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce in the snow and cleaning lenses

Magstang1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2010
Michigan
The good news is that my Nightforce performed flawlessly in the wind and snow.

Temps were below freezing, it was snowing, wind was blowing 10-20 and I even managed to throw a bunch of snow right on the objective lens when I neglected to realize my bikini had accumulated a bunch of snow while at one of the shooting points. I quickly blew the bulk of it out which fogged the lens for about 10 seconds. The fog cleared itself and I kept shooting unhindered by the conditions or my mistake.

Now that I'm home my OCD is blowing up and I really want to clean the lenses.

What's the best way?

Re: Nightforce in the snow and cleaning lenses

So no one has cleaned water spots off of a lens?

my USoptic scope recommends using acetone but i would recommend looking up cleaning procedures on nightforces website.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So no one has cleaned water spots off of a lens? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So no one has cleaned water spots off of a lens? </div></div>

I don't generally mess with it because there will be more the next time I use it in the rain.

If you really want to go at it, you can do it the bubba way with breath and a clean cotton cloth. If you want the scientific method you can use acetone and cotton balls.

Lots of us just use a lens pen. Works well on my camera lenses that HAVE to be clean.

I use camera lens cleaner and lens cleaning paper.

Using acetone on lenses creeps me out, but I think that's primarily because 99% of my optics cleaning is performed on polycarb eyeglass lenses
wink.gif

My typical approach is as follows:

1) Gentle mechanical removal of debris. For stuff that is waterproof and really dirty, I like to hit it with a quick spray of eyeglass cleaning solution and then run it under hot tap water. For things that aren't waterproof (like most camera lenses), a LensPen brush is used.

2) Surface cleaning. I will typically use a pre-moistened lens towelette for this step to remove any deposits (usually oil or mineral) from the surface of the lens. DO NOT WIPE A LENS WITH ANYTHING UNTIL STEP 1 IS PERFORMED! Also, be careful of the material used for wiping; typical paper products will scratch as will many types of clothing, so no facial tissue, t-shirts, or anything of the type. Generally speaking, I try not to touch a lens with anything that is not specifically labeled for such a purpose and can be verified to be 100% free of contamination.

3) Final polish. Since many of the pre-moistened towelettes will leave behind some minor residue, I use the chamois-type cloths that I get from my optometrist. These wipe away any remaining oils or deposits that may have been left from step #2.

I usually clean my eyeglasses on a daily basis using the above method, and on many days, they are dirtier than my scopes have ever been. Also, anti-reflective coated polycarb lenses are way more fragile than glass scope lenses. Despite all of those caveats, I have avoided scratches on my current set of glasses in the past 16 months of use, and even my 3+ year old prescription safety glasses still look good.