• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce? IOR Valdada?

KaiserNorton

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm looking into upgrading optics for a rifle build, and am looking at getting into this as cheaply as possible (limited funds at this point). I've seen a few Nightforce scopes for sale on some of the target boards in the $1000-1500 range (used). What are the major differences between the NXS and benchrest models and which is the preferred? Reticles preferred?

Also, what is the perception of the IOR Valdada line of scopes? What of their MP8 reticle?

My main purpose is mainly target shooting, within the a known range of 880 Yds (deer hunting situations are possible also). Seldom will I find anything requiring further distances.

I realize this is the Tactical site, but you guys know shooting just as well as the Benchrest boys, and usually under crappier conditions.

Thanks for any observations you'd care to put forth.

Kaiser Norton

Re: Nightforce? IOR Valdada?

I've got the IOR Sniper's Hide Ed. 3x18 FFP Mil(reticle)-Mil(turrets). I've been very happy with my scope. I got mine for $1399 total from Scott at Liberty Optics, and that included rings, sunshade, and butler creek scope covers. To get the next level up of Mil-Mil FFP will probably cost you in the $2500 and up range. Also, I really like the MP8 reticle.
Someone will probably reply dogging IOR and praising NightForce (which also is a good scope), but I've had nothing but good from my IOR. Also, I know everyone says it, but IOR has amazing glass quality.
If you want MOA adjustments then you should have plenty of options in your $1000-$1500 price range, if you want FFP Mil-Mil (the only way to go in my opinion) in that price range, then IOR is your best bet.
Also, I'd recommend buying it from Scott at Liberty Optics, best price and if you did have a problem he'd be the guy you'd want helping you with it.

Had problems with IOR, NEVER had problems with Nightforce, just personal experience (having owned both.)

www.samplelist.com, they have a 5.5-20 NXS (MOA/MOA) for sale, used, nice scope, pretty good deal.

I have had nothing but great experiences from SWFA and Liberty Optics, buy with confidence, Chris at SWFA and Scott at Liberty will take good care of you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had problems with IOR, NEVER had problems with Nightforce, just personal experience (having owned both.)

www.samplelist.com, they have a 5.5-20 NXS (MOA/MOA) for sale, used, nice scope, pretty good deal.

I have had nothing but great experiences from SWFA and Liberty Optics, buy with confidence, Chris at SWFA and Scott at Liberty will take good care of you! </div></div>

Ditto, had both thought the IOR glass was better but I think the NXS is a MUCH better scope for "tactical" style shooting. My money would go to the NXS everytime.

Have or had both at one time or another. The glass on the IOR is much better IMO, but that is not saying that the glass on the NF is bad, it's not. I like the MP-8 reticle on the IOR better, personal preference. While I never had a problem with any of my IORs, I would give the nod to durability to the NF. I think we all know about the older IORs having issues. With a NF, it is rare that you see someone post a problem with one. ( but as soon as I say that someone is going to come in and says he had a lot of trouble with theirs.) I would go with a NF, as much I like the IORs. I just think that the NF is a much more durable scope(or a better record of), good glass, a lot of options, and is priced competively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have or had both at one time or another. The glass on the IOR is much better IMO, but that is not saying that the glass on the NF is bad, it's not. I like the MP-8 reticle on the IOR better, personal preference. While I never had a problem with any of my IORs, I would give the nod to durability to the NF. I think we all know about the older IORs having issues. With a NF, it is rare that you see someone post a problem with one. ( but as soon as I say that someone is going to come in and says he had a lot of trouble with theirs.) I would go with a NF, as much I like the IORs. I just think that the NF is a much more durable scope(or a better record of), good glass, a lot of options, and is priced competively. </div></div>

well said +1

I have a Nightforce Benchrest and a couple of IOR scopes. I agree the glass is very good on the IOR and I really like the MP8 reticle.

My NF BR is an older model with the NPR2 reticle and it is very clear as well and has performed well for me.

Generally the difference between the the BR and NXS is the BR has 1/8 moa adustments versus .25 moa for the NXS, the NXS has exposed tactical turrets while the BR has covered turrets, many say the NXS is more durable as it was designed for a tactical purpose.

The problem I had with an IOR was two 9-36 which would not stay focused under recoil of a .308 That was a failure of the side focus to hold the internals steady. I switched it out for a 3-18 and have not had that problem.

Another issue that annoys me is that the IOR reticle is calibrated at 10x (12x on some models) and so for it to be useful on my 3-18 I have to come down off 18x to 10x. On the NXS they are calibrated on 22x so if you have the 5.5-22 you can range on max magnifcation. I wish IOR would be setup for max magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jiwilliams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a Nightforce Benchrest and a couple of IOR scopes. I agree the glass is very good on the IOR and I really like the MP8 reticle.

My NF BR is an older model with the NPR2 reticle and it is very clear as well and has performed well for me.

Generally the difference between the the BR and NXS is the BR has 1/8 moa adustments versus .25 moa for the NXS, the NXS has exposed tactical turrets while the BR has covered turrets, many say the NXS is more durable as it was designed for a tactical purpose.

The problem I had with an IOR was two 9-36 which would not stay focused under recoil of a .308 That was a failure of the side focus to hold the internals steady. I switched it out for a 3-18 and have not had that problem.

Another issue that annoys me is that the IOR reticle is calibrated at 10x (12x on some models) and so for it to be useful on my 3-18 I have to come down off 18x to 10x. On the NXS they are calibrated on 22x so if you have the 5.5-22 you can range on max magnifcation. I wish IOR would be setup for max magnification. </div></div>

IOR offers a FFP version of the 3-18 that completely eliminates that whole issue. Unlike the SFP version no illumination though, but instead it does offer mil/mil adjustments and an even better reticle.

I was trying to make a decision recently between IOR and Nightforce as well. I wound up getting the Nightforce due to the reputation of being durable and having great warranty coverage. From reading on the internet / speaking to people with first hand experiences IOR's warranty service is hit or miss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IOR offers a FFP version of the 3-18 that completely eliminates that whole issue. Unlike the SFP version no illumination though, but instead it does offer mil/mil adjustments and an even better reticle.</div></div>

So does Nightforce in the 3.5-15x50 F1 and as well as being mil/mil it's illuminated and comes with rings and a sunshade.

Just putting the info out there to anyone who thought NF didn't offer a FFP scope. And actually he doesn't list a price range only the price of used scopes he's seen and he says cheaply but that means different things to different people.
wink.gif

Yes I realize that both IOR and NF now offer the FFP in the lower magnification ranges. At the time I did my switch from the 9-36 to the 3-18 I don't think IOR had the FFP as an option.

Don't get me wrong.. IOR quickly took care of my problem. They replaced the first scope (an earlier generation 9-36) with the latest version but it wouldn't hold focus under recoil (I tried it on both my AR308 and my bolt 308) so they graciously swapped it for a 3-18 at my request. The 3-18 has been fine so far.

I would have preferred to have the 9-36 as the glass was freakin awsome but if you had to readjust the parallex after each shot.. it wasn't useful.

You will find that a lot of the 1,000 yard benchrest guys use the Nightforce 8-32 with the DD (double dot) reticle. The biggest differences between the benchrest version and the NXS is that the benchrest version has 1/8 moa adjustments instead of 1/4" adjustments;and the benchrest version has an adjustable objective for parallex instead of one mounted on the tube. Nightforce claims that there are more long range records set with their 8-32x56 scope than any other. Wouldn't surprise me. Remember 1/4" adjustment at 1,000 yards is 2.5 inches. 1/8" in click at 1,000 yards is 1.25 inches. But also remember that if you are hunting you don't want to be messing with twice as many clicks or with a parallex adjustment that is 30" away.

I have never had IOR but the only complaint I have heard is the same one I hear about Nightforce; too heavy.

Having both, I would say the Nightforce. That is not to say that the IOR is not a good scope, as I really like it. Both will meet the needs that you have specified. I would recommend the NP-R1 reticle and match it with the MOA turrets. I know most like the mil/mil system, but I prefer the MOA/MOA. The MP-8 in the IOR is unique and not a bad option either. The NP-R1 is a finer reticle, but I tend to prefer this as it allows you to shoot long ranges and not obscure the target when shooting at lower powers. From my handling and usage of the scopes, the Nightforce feels like a tougher scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce, no question. </div></div>

WOW, what a surprise!!!
wink.gif

Night Force would be my choice for many reasons. Also I believe that if a person got in a pinch and the person had to sell off some stuff, the NF is like cash in the pocket. They are wanted, valued and are easy to sell if priced resonable....SmokeRolls

I've owned them both. The IOR has superb glass and the MP-8 reticle rocks. I only own Nightforce now...I value ruggedness, repeatability, and absolute reliability above glass quality.

People often complain about the glass quality with Nightforce, but what I think they are actually referring to is "color rendition." It just looks a little different than most other high-end scopes. I don't know that you see things any less clearly and hordes of competitive shooters prove every day how good the scopes are.

Oh and regarding Leupold, they have great glass also...I prefer it to NF glass. Once again, too bad you can't count on their repeatabilty, durability...or even straight reticles. But hey, their warranty rocks...good thing too.

I think NF scopes do have an advantage over other "tinted" scopes during low light conditions. I have purchase a NXS 5.5 X 22 X 56 and am likey more each day. Other new scope is a SS scope in 16 power with mil dots,which is performing well. I'd go with NF as the recticles patterns can be changed for a nominal fee by sending it back.The lighted reticle at low light conditions is downright bitching!