• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce nightmares

Tyeebones

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2019
My first post. I mounted a NXS 5-22x56 that I bought frim MOA RIFLES on my Weatherby Mark V 338/378. I spent enough ammo to dial it in at 200 in the black and parked it. Went to range a month later and fired @ 200yds and not even on the paper. Only had 12 rds with me re bore sighted at 100 and put in black again at 200-ran out of shells. Went to range next day with more ammunition set up 100&200yds shot 4 @ 200 not on paper shot @ 100 9"" high . Re bore sighted put center @ 100 did not adjust scope shot 8 consecutive shots and impact continued straight up by 1"-1 1/2" each ahot until off the paper. Checked alltorques on rings and bases perfect. Removed scope called MOA received zero help other then to send back to NF. Leaving for hunt in 12 days. Purchased new SHV Mounted shot 4 touching perfect . Killed giant moose . Recived NF NXS5-22 back from repair with note that said scope was perfect no repair- BS - that thing had to either be replaced or they did jack shit to it can these guys take ownership for having a broken scope or am I hallucinating

Attachments

• 4BE21575-B85D-41A2-9014-BAE72464D1BE.jpeg
    4BE21575-B85D-41A2-9014-BAE72464D1BE.jpeg
    955.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 057862CE-7EB1-412F-93BD-CD28814194C2.jpeg
    057862CE-7EB1-412F-93BD-CD28814194C2.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Graywolf.260
Shooting with a can? I had a similar scenario with our v6 conquest and didn't think the POI shift was the problem thought it was the scope. Sent it back to zeiss they said it passed impact testing with flying colors. Checked zero it was 10" high put the omega on which wha ti originally zeroed with, bullseye.

Shooting with a can? I had a similar scenario with our v6 conquest and didn't think the POI shift was the problem thought it was the scope. Sent it back to zeiss they said it passed impact testing with flying colors. Checked zero it was 10" high put the omega on which wha ti originally zeroed with, bullseye.

No can zered it 3 times on200 each time afte couldnt hit paper put new scope in same rings and bases shot great going to put it on 30/378 and shoot it . If it shoots good NF is lying about repairs if not it's going back to IDAHO again

I’m having trouble reading your post, but I’m gonna go ahead and guess that there were a lot of variables in play that made the scope and rifle act the way it did.

Stuff moves, stuff settles in place for a while then it moves again. Rings and bases are fickle. You might have also cooked a round in a hot chamber causing it to go high, or gotten frustrated and heated up your barrel and caused it to start stringing or it throw off your breathing.

The chances of your gunsmith and NF somehow lying to you (well, especially NF) to cover up a defective scope are slim.

Occam’s Razor: You, your rifle, and your mount were probably causing issues. A new scope (and therefore remounting the rings etc) probably corrected the issue and gave you the confidence to settle down and focus correct your issue.

Yea I had same issue on my NF. To only realize that it was my scope rings. Glad I caught it b4 raising hell with NF. Every one of their scopes that I've had, have been great. Just double ck, your stuff. All I wld say.

I would double check everything again. Just to be certain. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a bad scope. I doubt they are covering anything up.... I would bet if anything, it’s a lazy employee not caring.

Good luck with the scope.

having owned a 338/378 Mark V my bet is on something other than the scope. Even with a brake they resonate something fierce and will shear base screws and loosen mounts with regularity. Clean and blue loctite EVERYTHING using a picatinny base and rings of good repute and you might be surprised.
I’d also check bedding and action screw torque.

Reactions: Big Ern
I know it's frustrating I chased a problem with a 308AR and a Nikon I thought went bad. Sent it back to Nikon was AOK. In the end the torque wrench likely out of spec since I had the same problem on new glass new mount. Then I was thinking it might be the rifle somehow. Buddy who builds rifles from scratch suggested putting some white out on the scope tube right at junction of rings front and back and sure enough it was moving after a few shots the white out was rubbed off.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Is this the regular mark V or the accumark?... I never has the 338-378 but have set up many of the 30-378's... All needed bedding... and The Tupperware stock of the regular mark 5's were not good... Sand down the nubs on the front of the stock so it is free floating and bed.... Take one coil off your trigger spring and see if any of this helps....

I agree with D2junky. I "had" a Accumark in 300 Weatherby. Quality control had a little to be desired.

Bad scopes do exist. I had a NXS go back twice because one portion of the elevation moved the POi 4.5" with a 3MOA adjustment. Badger everything, torqued. How in THE fuck that happens is beyond me but it was repeatable. First time back it came back NTF. Second time it went in with targets and I got a new scope.

Shit happens, Nightforce did me right.

I agree is sound like something was moving under recoil, but we weren't there shooting it so who knows? Hopefully it's worked out.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
My first post. I mounted a NXS 5-22x56 that I bought frim MOA RIFLES on my Weatherby Mark V 338/378. I spent enough ammo to dial it in at 200 in the black and parked it. Went to range a month later and fired @ 200yds and not even on the paper. Only had 12 rds with me re bore sighted at 100 and put in black again at 200-ran out of shells. Went to range next day with more ammunition set up 100&200yds shot 4 @ 200 not on paper shot @ 100 9"" high . Re bore sighted put center @ 100 did not adjust scope shot 8 consecutive shots and impact continued straight up by 1"-1 1/2" each ahot until off the paper. Checked alltorques on rings and bases perfect. Removed scope called MOA received zero help other then to send back to NF. Leaving for hunt in 12 days. Purchased new SHV Mounted shot 4 touching perfect . Killed giant moose . Recived NF NXS5-22 back from repair with note that said scope was perfect no repair- BS - that thing had to either be replaced or they did jack shit to it can these guys take ownership for having a broken scope or am I hallucinating

Bring that that's a SFP scope you were shooting at the pre designated magnification correct? I believe it would be 11x or 22x.

I agree with D2junky. I "had" a Accumark in 300 Weatherby. Quality control had a little to be desired.

My stainless vanguard 300 bee more than made up for that turd. Have a few jap Mark V’s that are skookum but I had a less than pleasurable experience with that Accumark and have been jaded since.

Im far from impressed with the weatherby Mark V. 30-378 is an interesting round, but doesnt group worth a shit with weatherby factory ammunition.

Nightforce Broken!!!! That’s damn Blastomy!!!!!!!

lol right? I love me some NF but no brand is immune to failure. However I’ve met enough people to lean towards shooter error before I jump to a NF QC/manufacturing error.

Too many variables involved on the shooter side, and without being there with hands on, no one can diagnose the real issue.

Reactions: FatBoy
Not saying the scope isn't defective, but I own lots of rifles and scopes including several ATACR's. I've had lesser quality scopes sit in the safe and not lose zero from moving them around in the safe. My guess is there's and issue with the rings or base.

This. We need to know what rings you are using.
I used a steel nightforce one piece pictanny rail nightforce ring we checked all the torques on screws cross bots and bases and gun screws everything was perfect I replaced it with an SHV and shot 1/2moa and whacked a huge moose

I have a feeling this thread is going to go nowhere in a hurry. have you shot the NXS after it came back from nightforce? Is there a new serial number on it?

what are the targets you posted? you mention that after you replaced with SHV you shot a group of 4 touching, is that the first target?

Reactions: NVScout
I have a feeling this thread is going to go nowhere in a hurry. have you shot the NXS after it came back from nightforce? Is there a new serial number on it?
I have not shot the scope I just ordered new rings and bases and am going to mount it on my 30/378 and see what it does. I didn't think about the serial numbers being different didn't look. The ringed target is the NXS and the lowest hit on the taget was the first shot after it couldn't hit the paper at 200 when that is were it was left the day before and each subsequent shot was higher POA until it fired off the paper at 100yds -this was not operator error. The second target with the squares was the target for the SHV and the 4 in the center together was my last 4 shots. I will be mounting the 30/378 up and shooting this weekend
what are the targets you posted? you mention that after you replaced with SHV you shot a group of 4 touching, is that the first target?

Have you considered selling your NF and purchasing a Quigley Ford optic?

Eh - if I had to guess what's wrong I would say that your issue is related to the 5.5-22x56 being much heavier than the SHV, depending on which SHV you got. This can result in movement of the optic in the rings, even torqued NF rings.

I would remount with rosin between the ring halves and go from there. Or sell the scope and keep the SHV - they are fine scopes for what you are doing and arguably a more modern design than the NXS.
Thanks makes some sense i just am perplexed by the elevation change on each shot-anyway I will lnow saturday

I’m having trouble reading your post, but I’m gonna go ahead and guess that there were a lot of variables in play that made the scope and rifle act the way it did.

Stuff moves, stuff settles in place for a while then it moves again. Rings and bases are fickle. You might have also cooked a round in a hot chamber causing it to go high, or gotten frustrated and heated up your barrel and caused it to start stringing or it throw off your breathing.

The chances of your gunsmith and NF somehow lying to you (well, especially NF) to cover up a defective scope are slim.

Occam’s Razor: You, your rifle, and your mount were probably causing issues. A new scope (and therefore remounting the rings etc) probably corrected the issue and gave you the confidence to settle down and focus correct your issue.

If your rings/bases/action are “settling and moving” you have shit gear.

And hot barrels don’t move like that at such short distances.

If he can absolutely rule out shooter error. This is a mechanical issue. Be it bad torque, bad barrel, bad optic, etc.

It ain’t “settling” or a “hot barrel.”

And hot barrels don’t move like that at such short distances.

If he can absolutely rule out shooter error. This is a mechanical issue. Be it bad torque, bad barrel, bad optic, etc.

Hey now, the LGS rep said that this base and ring combo value pack was just as good as what Badger makes AND is 95% less than what they charge. He was a SEAL Sniper with the CIA until he got kicked out for punching his boot camp instructor.

Edit: I’m not saying what the OP is using is junk (until his reply below or wasn’t known, unless I missed it), but rather just making a joke as this is the usual reason behind most similar issues.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dthomas3523
Steel Nightforce base and Nightforce rings isn't junk. If these were the 1 screw per side rings I could see the heavier scope slipping. It would have to be really moving to get that much elevation error though. Probably more than is possible even slipping the full tube distance on a 20 or 30 MOA base.

And hot barrels don’t move like that at such short distances.sounds good by each time I stopped shooting it was in the black at 200 then off the paper bad

Steel Nightforce base and Nightforce rings isn't junk. If these were the 1 screw per side rings I could see the heavier scope slipping. It would have to be really moving to get that much elevation error though. Probably more than is possible even slipping the full tube distance on a 20 or 30 MOA base.

Definitely isn’t junk and was just making a joke. Have you tried turning everything off and back on again? ...aka full strip, cleaning, and remount/torque of all parts? [action screws, base, rings, turrets, ZS clutches; as well as rechecking your ocular focus and parallax] Even if everything is fine, it may reset you subconsciously and fix everything

Last edited:
I didnt read everything so I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the easiest way to exclude the optic is to simply put another known good optic on the gun and shoot it.

Is it doing the same weird shit? It's not the optic.

If it is the optic, send it back again; maybe you got the 1 lazy fucker there on a Friday that looked at it. I had this happen at Leupold once years ago.

Definitely isn’t junk and was just making a joke. Have you tried turning everything off and back on again? ...aka full strip, cleaning, and remount/torque of all parts? [action screws, base, rings, turrets, ZS clutches; as well as rechecking your ocular focus and parallax] Even if everything is fine, it may reset you subconsciously and fix everything

I got the spirit of your post. Didn't mean imply otherwise. You're point is a good one. Some of these heavier scopes on hard or sharp recoiling rifles can be too much for a lesser ring. As much as I like Nightforce shit I would NEVER use a one screw ring. The price is appealing, but I couldn't trust them. I'd go with a two ring TPS if I was strapped enough that I couldn't swing 2 screw Nightforce or Badger.

I didnt read everything so I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but the easiest way to exclude the optic is to simply put another known good optic on the gun and shoot it.thats exactly what I did and it shot perfect

Is it doing the same weird shit? It's not the optic.

If it is the optic, send it back again; maybe you got the 1 lazy fucker there on a Friday that looked at it. I had this happen at Leupold once years ago.

Sorry for not properly editing post. I did just that I replaced The NXS with an SHV and it shot great. I am putting the suspect NXS on my 30/378 and going to shoot it sat and see if it patterns if not it will get its second trip to Idaho

I’ve had my NF turrets loose tactile clicks but later realized it was user error on my part as I didn’t tighten the zero stop screws and SHV turret screws properly.

So back at it. New bases and rings for my 30/378 steel 1 piece nightforce base 4 screw nightforce rings with rear leveler everything torques to nightforce spec mounting bolts from actuon to stock torqued 65. Bore sighted the gun with Weatherby ammunition 180g accubonds. First shot after bore 3 " left made appropriate correction started shootin less then 1/2" groups programmed G7 and hit everything out to 650. Returned scope worked as one would expect a nightforce too. So only conclusion I could believe after the problems with it on my 338/378 was that nightforce fixed or replaced the scope and just didn't want to cop to one of there scopes having an issue.

Hmmm, unless Nightforce is taking business model notes from my Ex....A scope is factory certified as "OK", new base and rings installed, receiver torqued to specs, and now everything is fine. I'm not convinced there is a conspiracy here.