• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce not clear at long range

robertjhaley

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
NorthEast Texas
I recently purchased a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 for F/TR shooting. I was using a Hawke 6-24x56 ($450 scope) that worked very well. I was hoping to get better clarity and focus at longer ranges with the Nightforce. I see no difference in the two up to 22x power and neither focus well beyond 500 yards unless I turn the power down below 20. I was hoping to use the higher power of the NXS on cooler days to see better at longer distances. Is blur what I should expect with this scope over 22x and beyond 500 yards? Are there other high power scopes that are clear in these conditions?

Try going out just before sunrise (not dusk)pick a target and crank it up to full magnification.

I rarely use more than 17x, even for ELR, for precisiely that reason: High magnification is a tourist trap; at short range it's not necessary, and at long range you'll never be able to use it.

Try going out just before sunrise (not dusk)pick a target and crank it up to full magnification.

I'm with this guy, try after a rain when the ground has been cooled off. I have a NXS 8x32, many mornings I could run full power, seemed clear to me, but once the mirage started in, it was over quick.

I'm with this guy, try after a rain when the ground has been cooled off. I have a NXS 8x32, many mornings I could run full power, seemed clear to me, but once the mirage started in, it was over quick.

I had a 12-42 and can second this. It works well in the cool mornings but once the sun comes out and the ground heats up the mirage takes over.