• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NP-R1 or NP-R2

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I am about ready to make the plunge, but would like to hear your thoughts on either reticle,
I will be using it on a .308 shooting steel out to 1,000 yards, and I would like the ability to range with it.
I am wondering if the NP-R1 reticle is tooo busy.
Next question, 50MM or 56MM objective, as the rifle I will put it on weighs 17 lbs with a 50mm Bushnell scope, so this pig really isn't for carrying.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks, Scott

Re: Nightforce NP-R1 or NP-R2

I actually prefer the busy R1 over the R2.

I like the 1 moa spacings over the 2moa.YMMV,but for me ranging is easier with the R1.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I decided to get the 5.5-22x50 with zero stop and the NP-R1 reticle. when looking through the scope it does not seem too busy. I like the R1 because of the 1 MOA spacings on the vertical plane compared to the 2 MOA spacings on the R2. In my opinion it will help more when trying to accurately range targets. As for the 50mm vs 56... the weight is virtually the same and if you are planning on shooting at night, you may want to get the 56. However, I read reviews stating that some people did not notice much of a difference where others noticed a significant difference. I only shoot during the day and therefore chose the 50mm objective lens so that I can mount it lower. You should also take the height in which you have to mount it into consideration (you may need to use slightly taller rings if you opt for the 56mm). Either way, you will be happy with your choice... you mainly have to ask yourself what is the application of the scope.

+1 for the NP-R1, I think Nightforce could even do without the NP-R2 option, JMO.

I also like the NP-R1. Be sure that you realize the 56mm only has 65 MOA of elevation. You will have to use a 20 moa base for a 308 to reach 1k.

Objective size doesn't change the amount of internal elevation. Both the 50mm and 56mm 5.5-22x scopes have 100 MOA of travel.

I would go with the R1 for the main reason it has 2 MOA windage as opposed to 5 MOA on the R2. The 2 MOA is more useful for holds.

I just got the 5-22 npr1 and a 3-15 npr1.

In my opinoin the 3.5-15 npr1 is way too fine, in the 5-22 it is pretty good. I have not yet looked at the npr2 in a 3.5-15 but it is what I am considering.(either that or getting another 5-22 npr1).

The nice part of the 3.5-15 npr1 is it has 35 moa of hold over in the reticle and has more elevation adjustment. The reticle is not so great for hunting or low light shooting unless you light up the reticle, then it works good. My only concern is batteries seem to go dead at the worst time(although the NF cr2032 lasts alot longer than my leupolds cr1/3n)

I have the NP-R1 and would recommend it, it is not too busy. I would also say to get the 56mm objective as long as can get a good cheek weld.

NP-R1 is the one for me. I would rather they put 1moa tics on the windage also. I don't see why they do it the way they do. But NP-R1, its the best there is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like the NP-R1. Be sure that you realize the 56mm only has 65 MOA of elevation. You will have to use a 20 moa base for a 308 to reach 1k.</div></div>

The scope you are referring to is the 8-32x56 or the 12-42x56, not just any 56mm scope. As rob said, it is not the objective size that limits the travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually prefer the busy R1 over the R2.

I like the 1 moa spacings over the 2moa.YMMV,but for me ranging is easier with the R1. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would go with the R1 for the main reason it has 2 MOA windage as opposed to 5 MOA on the R2. The 2 MOA is more useful for holds. </div></div>

I am in the boat with these two for the exact same reasons.

NPR1

skip the moa stuff and learn right from the get go, MLR with .1mrad knobs

Given the choice between the options you listed I would choose the NP R1 with the 50mm objective. I would have to second the MLR and the .1 Mil high speed turrets. I like the MLR reticle much more than either of the two you listed. Its your money though.

Whichever you get make sure to get the knobs in the same system. Mil knobs with the MLR and MOA knobs with the NPR1.

i like npr1. i think the npr2 is 5moa wind marks. 5moa wind hold is entirly to much for me but to each his own

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whichever you get make sure to get the knobs in the same system. Mil knobs with the MLR and MOA knobs with the NPR1.</div></div>

Why? I've used the NF NXS with MLR and MOA knobs for years. Excellent ranging with the MLR Reticle and finer adjustments with the MOA knobs than the Mil Rad.

MOA - .25 MOA adjustment.
Mil-Rad - .10 MIL adjustment.

1 MOA @ 1000 yards = 10.47". - .25 MOA adjustment = 2.61"
1 MIL @ 1000 yards = 36.0" . - .10 MIL adjustment = 3.60"

Because having the same system on both allows you to only need one range card with either MOA or mil data and you can use them for both dialing or reticle holds. No need to convert your MOA data to mils to use your reticle for holds.

Ranging can be done with either MOA or Mil reticle so ranging isn't a big deal with a mixed knob/reticle set up.

Also when you spot corrections you can dial them right on if you didn't want to hold for them. No need to do conversions.

MOA knobs and mil reticles were used for years and work ok but like everything they have evolved. Matching reticle and knobs make life easier on the shooter. Far more useful than worrying about the extra 1" difference between .1 mil and 1/4 MOA as your vertical spread from the load will vary more than that for a correction.

NP-R1 for sure. I have used both reticles and now have the R1 in both 5.5 x22 and 3.5x15. Even if you dial windage the 2 moa marks make for much easier self corrections and it is awesome when helping a shooting partner.

I also much prefer the NRP-1 over the R2 reticle. The more precise markings are worth the busy reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lexington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone provide a through-the-lens view of the NP-R1 reticle? Thanks. </div></div>

I will try to take some pics while I am out shooting tomorrow.

NP-R1 here, as to 50 or 56, if your going 3.5-15 the 50 is all you need, if your looking at the 5.5-22 I have heard the 56mm lens is better once you get to the higher power settings(brighter image).

I have NP-R1 and don't find it too busy. 2 MOA windage instead of 5 is more fine and better for hold-overs and is easier for me to calculate and keep from getting confused. The 1 MOA elevation vs. 2 MOA allows for more accuracy with hold-overs and adjustments. If you have a hard time seeing the reticle, then just illuminate it.

I have both 50mm & 56mm Nightforce scopes, and can't tell much of a difference with image quality or brightness. On one side of the argument the weight difference is negligible, on the other side the 56mm objective doesn't add much and is a little larger. Only if you plan to do a lot of low-light shooting, and I mean really, then go with the 56mm. Also factor in whether or not your cheek rest will be high enough for a 56mm scope. For my 50mm NF, I did not need to use an adjustable cheek piece. But for my 56mm NF, I had to add an adjustable cheek piece for extra height.

I wish NF made the NP-R1 for the 2.5x10 scope. For that matter I wish NF would come out with a one moa elevation/one moa windage reticle. Having to step back and forth between 1 and 2 is annoying.

the Npr1 is busy, but it's really easy to range with. personally i shoot the npr2 on my hunting rifle, i can get close enough ranging with it

I have four NF and all are NPR1. I would actually prefer the NPR2 if as others have said the windage was not 5MOA spacing. I dont understand why NF would even put 5MOA spacing there. If they did 2MOA spacing elevation and windage i would definitely be in but with the 5MOA spacing, i prefer the NPR1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have four NF and all are NPR1. I would actually prefer the NPR2 if as others have said the windage was not 5MOA spacing. I dont understand why NF would even put 5MOA spacing there. If they did 2MOA spacing elevation and windage i would definitely be in but with the 5MOA spacing, i prefer the NPR1. </div></div>

Exactly my sentiments...2X2 hash marks but, let's do FFP and add heavy solid lines to the sides and going up from 15 MOA. Hey, we'll call it the NPR-Tactical!!