• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NP-R2 reticle

chase102798

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Nescopeck, PA
Can someone tell me about this reticle? I read their website and it seemed to me that it was calibrated in MOA. Is that correct? Impressions?

Re: Nightforce NP-R2 reticle

NPR2
Yep, vertical hashmarks are 2MOA spacing horizontal is 5 moa spacing between hash marks.

The NPR1 is their latest option calibrated in MOA. Most people agree the NPR1 is a better reticle. Its 1 moa hashes on the vertical and 2 moa horizontal.

fixed

CJG

I had both the NP-R1 and 2. I went with all R1 reticles. Correction calls are easier for me with smaller increment marks. I have had conversations where they thought the NP-R1 is too much clutter. Either one will serve you well. I don't recommend going higher than 22X.

Yes, the NXS NP-R2 reticle is calibrated for MOA.

Depending on the scope, at a specified magnification, target can be ranged using this formula: target size in inches ÷ M.O.A. x 100 = range in yards. At least for me it is easier to estimate size of objects in inches than yards, so I think this is quicker and easier for me to range than a mildot...but others would disagree. This really just depends on preference.

On NP-R2, the vertical lines are 2 MOA, the horizontal lines are 5 MOA apart. At least for me, I prefer the NP-R1 reticle because the vertical lines are 1 MOA apart and the windage hashes are 2 MOA apart. Most NXS scopes come standard with 0.25 MOA click values, which makes for easier calculation with NP-R1 reticle. The NP-R1 also allows me to measure objects MOA "size" more accurately because of smaller intervals.

Others complain that the NP-R1 lines are too fine compared to NP-R2, and you may not see the lines as well with dark background and/or moving target. You may already know this but Nightforce scopes are illuminated, so if I have a hard time seeing finer lines of NP-R1, I just turn on the illumination.

I would suggest getting the zero-stop, which stops turning at zero. Although not mentioned on website, this allows you to have 2 zero points. For example, I sighted my scope at 100 yards and set the zero-stop there. Then I sighted my scope at 200 yards, and set the actual 0 number on the turret here.

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions or need further clarification. Good luck choosing.

NP-R2 is a fine reticle. I have both the R1 and R2, and like the R1 a bit better, but the R2 is very easy on the eyes. If you are undecided between the 2 reticles, I would opt for the R1 unless you are one of those people who considers it cluttered. In that case, the R2 is a no brainer.