• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NP-R2 vs MLR

Tib's sps.tac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
I am looking into getting a NF 5.5-22x50 NXS and was wondering if anyone had experience with either of these reticles...

Looking at the MLR online, it seems that the horizontal and vertical dashes are a little small. My concern is that i would not really be able to see them clearly out on the range.

Re: Nightforce NP-R2 vs MLR

NP-R2 is a good reticle, but quite spaced out if you like to use holds and spots. I would recommend the MLR or the NP-R1.

The biggest question to ask yourself is whether you are getting MIL or MOA turrets/adjustments on your scope. Whichever one you are getting, get the reticle to match!!

The NP-R2 reticle (or NP-R1) is MOA...

The MLR reticle is MIL.

The lines on both the reticles you are considering are visible enough for accurate ranging and holdovers.

I like the NP-R1 about 100 bazillion times better than the NP-R2. How the reticle is broken up on the R2 is pretty weird with the windage being 5moa. Almost unusable for windage holds. (Like holding only) It does sorta make sense in regards to the zerostop windage turret as that only travels 5moa in either direction. So if you wanted to dial on more than 5moa, you'd just hold and then dial the additional adjustment. Like if you wanted 7moa right wind, Dial 2moa right and hold one hash mark right.

Also to me R1 feels thicker and more substantial compared to the NP-R1. I have a way easier time picking it up in low light conditions. Still I've used R2 with good success.

As has been mentioned, NP-R1 or R2 for MOA and MLR for mils. If you want to go MOA, the NP reticles are hard to beat. Many like the R1 and some feel that the reticle is too busy and prefer the R2. Either way, it will get the job done. I'd say that if you shoot at small stuff and a busier reticle might obstruct your view, then the NP-R2 might be for you.

Just FYI, the 2.5-10X32 with zero stops does have a stop on the windage adjustments that prohibits dialing more than 5MOA of correction. The 5.5-22X has no stop on the windage, so you can dial as much as you need to. There is a scale on the turret that helps you to return to zero.