• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce NX8 1-8x24 vs mark 4 2.5-8x36

yocan

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Detroit
So i looked and didn't see any articles since 2019 and lpvo have changed a lot. So current opinions of this optic? I currently have a shorty 308 needing glass, and have a Leupold ts30-a2 mark 4 2.5-8×36 tmr for mk12 on a laruelt120. First question at distance having a smaller front lense how much would that hurt me?

Longterm I suppose if I kept it it would end up on a precision ar10 is this still viewed as fairly ideal for such a use or has it been surpassed for such a purpose?

Course if youd trade me a 2.5-20 nx8 for either I"d jump at it I think as that would be what I want for the shorty 308 but as I don't foresee it happening.

On either a bolt 308 (short term) or a spr 308 ar10 which optic would you view as better (I don't care about cloning value)

Side note on the nx8 which reticle do you prefer and why? the moa the stadia seem obtrusive but workable, but the mil seems potentially hard to pick up on a lower power. (having not looked through either thats just a perception for the website)

Just my opinion but for a precision rig I would be nearer to the 2.5-20 class of scopes with adjustable parallax and a bit more mag.

The 4-16 Atacr would fit that calling quite well and have personally used it on both applications.

You’d be able to sell the Leupold in order to significantly offset the cost if that’s an option.

Reactions: Dogtown
friends don’t let friends run leupold.

And those MOA and mil reticles on the nx8 made me switch to mil when I realized how little serious scope manufactures care about MOA shooters. That MOA reticle SUCKS !
9901F88B-3F23-44B3-A540-6ECB8BF400B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: HogsLife
Yeah ONLY reason people pay that kind of money for a mk4 2.5-8x36 is for clone purposes and that’s still ridiculous to me and I like clones when done proper.

So, let’s just forget about the Mk4. We can pretend this discussion never happened.

NX8 in every way, but some people seem to love them and others hate them. Touchy eys box etc, so I’d get behind one before you drop the coin.

If you’re gonna go Leupold do a MK5 or Mk6 atleast. I’d go MK5 before I went NX8 tho and I’m a NF fan.

Reactions: BurtGummer
Nx8 4-32 with the mil-c was very usable down low, to the point of being too thick up top. But, let's face it, 8x erector is a giant compromise on either end.

If you already own the Leupold, keep running it. It does the job.

If you're buying a new scope, the mk5 and nx8 are both solid options.

Reactions: BurtGummer