• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 - Initial Thoughts

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    Backstory

When the Nightforce NX8 long range scopes were announced I raised an eyebrow. Over the years I’ve had or used many different long-range scopes from the budget category all the way into alpha class, but in all that time I have never owned a Nightforce and the reason is because they never made a scope that appealed to me. The ATACR F1 series was the first that really drew my attention, but the 5-25 is a hefty beast and has poor FOV performance at the low end. The 4-16x42 drew my attention but I rarely opt for scopes with objectives smaller than 50mm because most of my scopes get used in low light situations. I realize they recently came out with the F1 4-16x50 but this only happened after other manufacturers were already offering 3x/4x – 18x/20x and I prefer having more than 16x at the top end, if Nightforce had an ATACR F1 4-20x50 I’d be all over that. I think it's safe to say that nobody was expecting Nightforce to come out with this NX8 long range line and offer a 2.5-20 and 4-32 scope and certainly nobody was expecting these scopes to come in at the $2k price point. The Nightforce NX8 is using an 8x erector design in a short body similar to the March F series scopes. I’ve owned two of the March scopes in the past and their lackluster FML-1 reticle and finicky depth and parallax have always had me wanting more even though they impressed optically. So, the question that has been on my mind has been – where did NF compromise in order to build an 8x erector scope in a short body and sell it for $2k. I am already familiar with the compromises that March had to make with their design, but the March scopes also cost more than $3k if you want illumination. For the most part, online reviews of the NX8 have been nothing short of praising this scope for all it offers with no glaring compromises and I realized that in order to find out for myself I would have to purchase the scope and put it through some initial testing.

Build Quality and Ergo

The NX8 appears to have excellent build quality – without putting the scope through the wringer like underwater, freezing, etc. just the overall look and feel of the scope is well done. All finishes are nice and well executed. Some may balk at the 30mm tube but NF engineers were able to squeeze 32 mil of elevation which is more than some 34mm designs. However, it’s not all roses as the design of the NX8 pushes the turret housing forward which means there is very little room for a ring or mount between the turret housing and the front objective bell, this may make it more difficult on some rifle platforms to mount in the correct location. Nightforce also opted not to use a fast focus diopter which means there is lots of turning of the diopter to get it right (more on this later), but they did make the diopter locking which is a nice feature and I’ve also read the ATACR series suffers from a moving ocular when you adjust magnification which would definitely annoy me since I like to use caps. Speaking of caps, another nice feature in a $2k scope is the NX8 comes with NF branded Tenebraex caps, a very nice accessory to be included.

20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0002.jpg

Turrets

Being my first Nightforce scope I did not know what to expect but based on rave reviews from other owners online I had the expectation that NF scopes excel optically and mechanically. My first experience with the turrets was a bit underwhelming to be honest. Compared to Minox ZP5, Kahles, Schmidt, Leupold Mark 5 and others, the NX8 turrets don’t have the snap I was expecting. Where other turrets have a distinct click or clunk between each .1 mil mark, the NX8 has a more muted sound and oddly enough, the windage turret has that more distinct click that I wish the elevation turret had. With most other scopes it’s the other way around, usually the elevation turret feels the best and the windage is lacking. But, “man does not live on clicks alone”, and while muted the NX8 turrets are precise with very little play and easy to dial elevation, in the end I do not think I would have a problem accurately dialing and the spacing of the 10 mil per rev turret is nicer compared to the tight spacing of the 15 mil per turn and greater variety found in other scopes. The windage is capped which is a very nice feature for those who don’t tend to dial wind and don’t want that turret getting bumped while moving around in the field.

20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0007.jpg

20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0013.jpg

Reticle and Illumination

For the longest time Nightforce was stuck in the SFP market but had great BDC style reticles, it took them a while to get into FFP and then it took even longer for them to get a decent .2 mil hash reticle with the Mil-C and then finally last year with the Mil-XT Christmas tree version. The scope I purchased has the Mil-C reticle and I have to say, I like it better than the SKMR with regard to thickness, the SKMR is pretty thin and sometimes difficult to pick out in shadows or high contrast backgrounds, but the Mil-C seems to be a tad thicker and easier to discern in those conditions. What I don’t like with the Mil-C is the size of the .2 hash marks, they are quite tall and even though they alternate (.2 and .8 on bottom while .4 and .6 are on top) I still find them a bit distracting (again, personal preference). I knew the NX8 had Digillum illumination, but not owning a NF previously I spent quite some time trying to figure out how on earth do you turn on and set illumination until by accident I pressed the middle of the parallax/side focus and realized there is a button that depresses – that is a slick feature; however, unlike a dial control, it is somewhat of a pain to switch between different brightness levels as you have to click in each time to adjust and it only goes to the next brightest setting until you get to max or minimum and it flashes several times and then it starts to get brighter (or dimmer) in which each successive click, but hold the button for about 5 seconds and it switches from red to green illumination. I’m not sure which I like better, the red still seems brighter and more pronounced but I’d want a lot more time with it in different light levels to make a determination, what I do like is the fact that you have the option. I did compare daylight bright to my Kahles K318i which has the brightest illumination I’ve seen to date, and the NF kept right up with it, very usable daylight illumination.

Image Quality (IQ)

I’m going to break down IQ into four categories – Contrast, Resolution, Color and CA

Contrast
    The NX8 shows really good contrast when your eye is in center. The NX8 appears to be on par with the K318i within its sweet spot.​

Resolution
    Without spending extended time with my resolution charts it would be difficult to discern just how well the NF Nx8 2.5-20x50 performs compared to the alpha class optics; however, initial impressions are very high and in some situations seems to be on par if not slightly better than the K318i. However, while the resolution was impressive the NX8 shows pretty significant image distortion if your eye is not perfectly centered. This is compounded at close ranges under 100 yards and seems to be more forgiving the further out you go; in this regard, the K318i definitely excels as very little distortion is noticeable and edge to edge sharpness is maintained throughout the majority of the zoom range.​
    EDIT 03/30/2022: I have now had the opportunity to review another NX8 2.5-20x50 scope and this "new" version does not exhibit any of the edge distortion that was prevalent in my original copy, in fact, the differences are so great I almost feel like NF changed their optical formula, it felt like two different scopes. This was either a QC issue that my early model had, or this is representative of some pretty significant sample variance. This would also explain why some NX8 2.5-20 users have declared their scopes to be similar to my original copy (significant edge distortion) while others have not had this issue.​
    Color
    Color fidelity seems to be managed very well, colors looked true to life. There was not an overly warm or overly cool cast to the image. I prefer an image that is neutral to warm and the NX8 seems to deliver for what my eyes like to see. Compared to the Kahles the color seemed very comparable.​
    CA
    This is one area where I thought the NX8 was really going to struggle, but it was very difficult for me to induce any strong CA even in my test target with white on black, the NX8 handled CA exceedingly well. Compared to the Kahles, CA controlled appeared to be on par if not slightly better in some situations which is very impressive indeed as the K318i controls CA very well and only bested by the ZCO ZC420 in the ultra short category.​
    DISCLAIMER: DO NOT USE THE BELOW IMAGE TO JUDGE IQ, THE NX8 PERFORMED MUCH BETTER THAN THROUGH THE SCOPE IMAGES CAN CAPTURE.​
    20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0008.jpg
    EDIT 03/30/2022: The above image is representative of the original copy I had of this scope, I have since reviewed another copy of the scope which did not exhibit the edge distortion displayed above.

Glass

Outside of the above issues with the edges, the glass is superb, Nightforce offers very little information on the optical design or glass used in the NX8; however, this article from Guns & Ammo - https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/nx8-nightforce-scopes-review/364247 indicates that NF is using ED glass in the NX8 and uses additional glass elements in the 2.5-20 design to help correct for aberrations in the ultra short design.
    EDIT 03/30/2022: Based on the latest copy of the NX8, I can say if you get a "good" copy of this lens, the glass is very impressive for the price and competitive with other scopes like the Leupold Mark 5HD and Burris XTR III.

Eyebox

As expected, the eyebox on the NX8 is very finicky, you have to have your eye placed just right for a clear sight picture, the Kahles K318i, ZCO ZC420 and Schmidt Ultra Short 3-20 are much more forgiving in this regard (but they are all quite a bit more expensive). Proper scope mounting techniques and proper cheekweld is going to eliminate much of this effect, but it is still there and may pose an issue for some especially if they find themselves shooting from odd positions where it’s difficult to get your eye perfectly centered.

Depth/DOF

The March scopes I had struggled with Depth Of Field (DOF) and this was one area where I thought the NX8 might struggle as well, and I was right. You do not get the same level of depth forgiveness with the NX8 as you do with other scopes at this price point and higher. The NX8 is not horrible, but you will find yourself having to tweak the side focus a bit more in order get objects near and far in proper focus. Compared to the Kahles, I was having to make more adjustments to focus whereas the K318i/ZCO/Schmidt was much more forgiving with almost a “near, middle and far” behavior.

Parallax

Similar to DOF, parallax seems to follow the same protocol. The NX8 was much more finicky with parallax and has to be set just right with minute adjustments to get the reticle to be parallax free with the image. The NX8 can focus from 11 yds to infinity and therefore has a very long focus adjustment range which further compounds getting the parallax just right. Initially I thought I could not get a parallax free image at magnifications below 16x as I saw the reticle moving all over the place with slight eye displacement; however, after fiddling with the diopter a bit more and fine tuning of the side focus/parallax I was able to tame it down some, but still noticed movement until I realized the whole image was moving, so the scope was parallax free but because of the distortion and finicky eyebox, anything but dead center eye placement caused the image to warp around like a fun house curved mirror at a carnival. All scopes show some of this distortion especially at lower magnifications; however, the NX8 shows a significant amount of this and is probably the most unforgiving aspect of this scope. In contrast, the Kahles image seemed rock solid along with the reticle with little to no discernable distortion until you get into very low magnification ranges.

20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0005.jpg

Conclusion

Putting an 8x erector into a short body has its limitations and NF engineers were not able to overcome those limitations (at least for the price point they are selling at). The narrow depth of field and heavy edge distortion of the image especially at lower magnifications along with the finicky parallax has me still wanting for more from the NX8. While I like the Mil-C reticle mag range and illumination, there are just too many other drawbacks for me with the NX8 personally. It’s too bad because I really wanted this scope to exceed my expectations and while it has in some areas, it has not in others. I am sure there will be plenty of shooters who are not bothered by these shortcomings and will be quite pleased with this scope.
    EDIT 03/30/2022: The latest version I've had for review has given me a completely different experience with the NX8 2.5-20, this latest version is something I can get excited about and recommend to others, the question is, which version is the exception rather than the rule?

Other $2k class scopes I have used would be the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 which had much better turrets and DOF/Parallax; however, my copy did not do that great in overall IQ and the sweet spot of the NF NX8 was quite a bit better than the Leupold. I've had the Steiner T5Xi's and their CA was so bad they were immediately returned. The Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 and Tract Toric 4-20x50 are lower priced but suffer from heavy CA; however, the do have impressive IQ for the price. At a little higher price point the Vortex AMG 6-24x50 is a better all around scope (overall IQ, turrets). But none of these scopes offer an 8x erector inside a short body, so in reality Nightforce has no competition from any scope at this price point.

I realize there are many who will not “see” the same issues that I see and will claim their version has no edge distortion or is not finicky with DOF or parallax, etc., I am simply pointing out issues that I see based on my experience with lesser and better optics. There are compromises with most every optic and we all have personal preferences when it comes to some of these features. I think for many, the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 will be a favorite, it certainly fills a niche we have not seen before at this price, kudos to NF for being bold enough to bring something like this to market.

EDIT: I wanted to give the Nightforce NX8 a "second chance" and decided to spend a lot more time with it. While the edge distortion is there, it is not nearly as prominent when you get a proper cheekweld, the eyebox is still very tight but as long as you can be in good alignment, you may not notice much distortion when transitioning to different targets. I think dynamic shooters (like PRS and NRL style) and those who find themselves in awkward shooting positions will still struggle with this scope, those who do not find themselves in these situations often may not have as much an issue. The finicky parallax is still there but again, it is tamed with proper scope mounting and consistent cheekweld.

20190808_Nightforce_NX8_2.5-20x50_Review_0001.jpg

Last edited:
    Good review.
    Looking forward to hearing reports from actual field use and seeing whether the limitations of the scope are easily over come or if they manifest themselves with match and hunting use.

Often I've found limitations like eyebox, DOF etc to be not so bad with range use, but when used in the field become become a deal breaker.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Very well written review!

Thank you for taking the time to document your findings, I personally appreciate it as I am contemplating getting the NX for my gas gun.

Reactions: MPrimo
    Good review.

Often I've found limitations like eyebox, DOF etc to be not so bad with range use, but when used in the field become become a deal breaker.

I agree Beet, if we're doing simple range stuff its usually pretty easy to ensure everything is just right, but in the field we don't always get to setup with ideal alignment, that's when some of the scopes that are a bit more finicky start to show some of their limitations.

Awesome right up, would love to see how the 4-32 would do in your comparison.
    The 4-32 doesn't really appeal to me, I try not to get too drawn into high magnification that I don't necessarily need, and most scopes over 20x I'm usually looking at 56mm objective size as the high mag/smaller objective scopes tend to struggle a bit more especially in low light.

Good review.
    Looking forward to hearing reports from actual field use and seeing whether the limitations of the scope are easily over come or if they manifest themselves with match and hunting use.

I agree.

This scope has a pretty good FOV. But I could really see the shallow depth of field, and especially the glass edge distortion (that you can clearly see in the photo) driving me nuts while transitioning through a target array or searching for a target.

The 4-32 doesn't really appeal to me, I try not to get too drawn into high magnification that I don't necessarily need, and most scopes over 20x I'm usually looking at 56mm objective size as the high mag/smaller objective scopes tend to struggle a bit more especially in low light.
    Agreed. But i think they are internally different and just wonder if the 4-32 suffers from any of the same shortcomings. Im in Florida so definitely never get to use much over 20 anyway.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Thanks for posting up a well-explained review.

Being that my shooting background is mostly hunting, too much edge distortion is an IQ problem that can be a deal-killer. To a degree, it has the effect of constricting the FOV especially if you need to square-up your target quickly. The area of a circle is such that the 60% diameter of sharp resolution you illustrated actually works out to be only about 36% of the total area of the FOV. Not a big problem when casually shooting at paper or steel, but not so good when you're shooting in a more dynamic situation and trying to locate and identify a target that's not so easily distinguished from its surroundings. Coupled with the eyebox, DOF and parallax characteristics that you noted, I doubt I could be entirely happy with this scope.

Thanks for posting up a well-explained review.

Being that my shooting background is mostly hunting, too much edge distortion is an IQ problem that can be a deal-killer. To a degree, it has the effect of constricting the FOV especially if you need to square-up your target quickly. The area of a circle is such that the 60% diameter of sharp resolution you illustrated actually works out to be only about 36% of the total area of the FOV. Not a big problem when casually shooting at paper or steel, but not so good when you're shooting in a more dynamic situation and trying to locate and identify a target that's not so easily distinguished from its surroundings. Coupled with the eyebox, DOF and parallax characteristics that you noted, I doubt I could be entirely happy with this scope.
    Keep in mind that the distortion eases up the further you move out, it is definitely more prominent under 100 yards, but once you get past 100 yards the effect is minimized the further out you go, the effect is also minimized with higher magnifications, this was just an example to explain what I am seeing through the scope since it is sometimes hard to put in words. Because the NX8 does have fairly wide FOV it may not be as restrictive as some other scopes. I'll see if I can get a good image at distance in the near future as I don't want to mislead potential buyers who might find the level of distortion perfectly acceptable for their needs.

Reactions: Wyzrd and rhsc
    Keep in mind that the distortion eases up the further you move out, it is definitely more prominent under 100 yards, but once you get past 100 yards the effect is minimized the further out you go, the effect is also minimized with higher magnifications, this was just an example to explain what I am seeing through the scope since it is sometimes hard to put in words. Because the NX8 does have fairly wide FOV it may not be as restrictive as some other scopes. I'll see if I can get a good image at distance in the near future as I don't want to mislead potential buyers who might find the level of distortion perfectly acceptable for their needs.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    I was considering putting this scope on a Vudoo 22. I have an ATACR 7-35 that I could use instead (which is supposedly the best 22lr scope) but I would prefer to keep that on a centerfire. Do you think the 20x NX8 would be a good fit on a 22 trainer?

I was considering putting this scope on a Vudoo 22. I have an ATACR 7-35 that I could use instead (which is supposedly the best 22lr scope) but I would prefer to keep that on a centerfire. Do you think the 20x NX8 would be a good fit on a 22 trainer?
    Keep in mind this is just my opinion. But for doing short range work with a 22 I would be bothered by the edge distortion which is increased at short range, if you're just paper punching it may not be an issue, but if you have to transition from one target to another, you'll notice something doesn't seem quite right at the edge of the sight picture.

Edit: It's too bad as well, because one of the reasons I picked up the NX8 was for rimfire work due to the 11y parallax.

Great review.

Production XTR3 supposed to arrive today. Looking forward to meeting up with you to do some comparisons.

Regards,
    DT

Looking forward to seeing that. I've been hoping someone local would buy an NX8 so I could put it side by side next to the XTR3.

I have a 5-25 MK5 HD and a 4.5-27 Gen II Razor lined up for XTR3 comparisons this weekend.

Thanks for this review, really helps in my decision for my next scope purchase for my AR10. Really looking forward for a production run XTR3 review!

I dont want to hijack this thread. This is a great review on the NX8 and no one wants to muddy the water.

For info on the XTR3 Dorgan is posting updates on that thread.

Thanks for putting in all the work. I run almost all NF scopes and these had me wondering. Ill stick with the ATACR's at this point, however this scope could be real nice on a hunting gun. I run a NXS 3-15 F1 Navy on my hunter now, which I like a lot for such uses.

PB

Nice write up! Thanks for taking the time. Much of your assessment parallels my own. DOF is shallow and setting parallax boarders on tedious. The NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 is light, compact, and quite handy. I too struggled getting the diopter set after failing to read the blip in it’s included documentation about it coming factory set and warning against adjustment. I still don’t quite understand the warning, but love the locking feature!

Regarding similarities to March, I’ve actually wondered if Deon had something to do with these scopes.

Last edited:
    Nice write up! Thanks for taking the time. Much of your assessment parallels my own. DOF is shallow and setting parallax boarders on tedious. The NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 is light, compact, and quite handy. I too struggled getting the diopter set after failing to read the blip in it’s included documentation about it coming factory set and warning against adjustment. I still don’t quite understand the warning, but love the locking feature!

Regarding similarities to March, I’ve actually wondered if Deon had something to do with these scopes.
    Thank you, appreciate that.

So when NF says they have set the diopter at the factory, the question that pops right up is "but to who's eye?" The whole point of having an adjustable diopter is because all our eyes are different, and if they somehow figured out how to make a "one size fits all" diopter, then why have it be adjustable? Maybe ILya can chime in and enlighten us a little more on why NF might be doing this with the NX8. My personal opinion is they are saying that because they know how finicky the diopter might be and instead of dealing with a bunch of customers sending them back, they are adjusting at the factory hoping the majority of customers will be satisfied with where it is set; not sure, will have to think about this one a bit more.

While Deon has been the frontrunner for 8x erector designs, the design of this scope looks like a LOW design and since NF has used LOW before I wouldn't be surprised. If Deon had a hand in it, everyone is keeping it quiet. Either way, the NX8 is a surprising little scope from Nightforce that I think many will love even with some of the limitations.

Reactions: Wyzrd and kingston
    Interesting, thanks for the review. After seeing March ( particularly the 3-24FFP) get criticised
    for short depth of field, finicky focus and small ‘eyebox’, NF release an optic 6 years later with
    the same issues..... Progress ?

I wouldn’t use it, can’t see much value having that low of magnification. I’m using a Razor Gen2 4.5-27 on my V22, can get down to 30y. I’d put a 7-35 ATACR or 5-25 S&B on it, but I’d just end up building another centerfire for that scope and have to go back to the Razor anyways.

Also, as it stands, I’m usually looking to shoot 200-300y with the V22, at 30-50 yards you can cut down weeds.

Reactions: PewPewKC
    Interesting, thanks for the review. After seeing March ( particularly the 3-24FFP) get criticised
    for short depth of field, finicky focus and small ‘eyebox’, NF release an optic 6 years later with
    the same issues..... Progress ?

In all fairness, if your characterization is accurate and I’m not saying it is, a major upside would be that NF did it for almost half the price. Grin!

In all fairness, if your characterization is accurate and I’m not saying it is, a major upside would be that NF did it for almost half the price. Grin!
    ^^^ This - there are certain limitations to ultra short designs that cannot be overcome without making the scope very expensive (think Schmidt Ultra Short)

I have edited my original post to include some more information as I've spent more time with the scope. Properly mounting the scope (which took a while due to the tight eyebox) and getting a proper cheekweld did tame down some of the issues as I thought it might. The DOF/Parallax is still more finicky than other scopes, but the more time I spend with the NX8 I can see the appeal for what it offers. With the edge distortion (mostly apparent when eye position is not stable) tamed down a bit, I think this scope has a place but still trying to figure out where that might be. I'm going to try to take it out on my 10/22 and see how it does as a short range rimfire scope soon.

Reactions: BootyLord
    Great write up! A scope I’ve been eyeing myself.

Thanks as always. :)

It’s not a bad buy and there’s really nothing else in it’s class.

It’s not a bad buy and there’s really nothing else in it’s class.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "in its class". There are certainly not many short 8x erector scopes on the market.

But if by its class you mean a short, lightweight, quality optic at the 2k price point, that does open up a can of worms..

I can’t think of anything else in the lightweight (28.3oz), compact, ultra robust (assuming the NX8 is on par with the NXS and ATACR series in terms of sheer mechanical reliability), in the vicinity of this mag range, at any price point that compares. This doesn’t even factor in the quality of the NX8’s illumination function or the appeal of the Mil-C.

The only thing close, but with a much narrower mag range and archaic reticle options is the TT315M. I’ve been down that road at nearly twice the price.

I can’t think of anything else in the lightweight (28.3oz), compact, ultra robust (assuming the NX8 is on par with the NXS and ATACR series in terms of sheer mechanical reliability), in the vicinity of this mag range, at any price point that compares. This doesn’t even factor in the quality of the NX8’s illumination function or the appeal of the Mil-C.

The only thing close, but with a much narrower mag range and archaic reticle options is the TT315M. I’ve been down that road at nearly twice the price.

I think the MK5 HD 18X and the XTR3 18X are quite close in terms of size, weight, and magnification range of the NX8. And also cost. The Burris coming in a little less than, the Leupy a little closer.

I'm not sure if I would use the words ultra robust, because at this point, it's an assumption. Nightforce makes robust scopes, as is the XTRII line up and the MK5. The MK5 is really the only known entity at this point. Although I'm sure it's happened, I havent heard of anyone in the PRS circles breaking a Leupold. And I know several of their team shooters as well as some of the Nightforce guys. They are all a pretty durable scope.

The Leupold offers a bunch of reticle options, from the Tremor 3, H59, and their own designs, just as Nightforce. The Burris has the SCR2 only, but a decent reticle none the less. The Leupy offers illumination, the Burris has illuminated models coming that will still keep this scope priced below the other two.

So there's a couple decent competitors there. I dont think the NF has filled a niche no other brand can match. I'm sure it's going to be a great scope for them. Nightforce fans will love the price tag. As will the people who dont shell out the coin for a top of the line optic, but can get the NF logo on the side for less.

I'm going to keep my eyes out here locally for someone who has bought one. I have a couple matches this month, maybe someone will bring one. I want to see what it looks like next to the XTR3.

Crimson Trace with their 3-18x50 is going after the same general market. They are new, but they seem to be decent scopes.

Meopta's Optika6 has a good chance of really pushing these scopes at a much lower price, but we'll how it stacks up. The first one arrived, but I am out of town, so I will get my hands on it next week.

With the NX8, I will likely have a brief look toward the second half of September and I hope to round up March 3-24x52 for a side-by-side.

ILya

Nice review, thank you. I'm enjoying my 2.5-20 NX8 very much.

You nailed it with this comment: : I wanted to give the Nightforce NX8 a "second chance" and decided to spend a lot more time with it. While the edge distortion is there, it is not nearly as prominent when you get a proper cheekweld, the eyebox is still very tight but as long as you can be in good alignment, you may not notice much distortion when transitioning to different targets. I think dynamic shooters (like PRS and NRL style) and those who find themselves in awkward shooting positions will still struggle with this scope, those who do not find themselves in these situations often may not have as much an issue. The finicky parallax is still there but again, it is tamed with proper scope mounting and consistent cheekweld.

My experiences:
    I'm using it on my LMT MWS 308 and got the LMT DMR stock and at first I was not careful about adjusting the stock as perfectly as I could for my particular LOP and so forth. I had problems with the eyebox, but then on my second outing I spent a good amount of time getting the stock set up perfectly and I've not had any problems. A consistently repeated cheekweld has eliminated the issues you describe, but it is true the NX8 is less forgiving than other scopes I have used. I've been using it so far at 100 yards and find the parallax and diopter adjustments to be spot on and the image is razor sharp and crisp. Good color, etc. I suppose if I had a line of scopes I'd notice differences, but for $1700, which is what I spent on it, I'm very pleased. I like the fact that it is a bit shorter and lighter and it makes for a great combination on my LMT MWS, here is my rifle with the NX8 on it, I have a 20" LMT SS barrel and the full size fat bastard brake on it. Next to it is my Colt M4A1 SOCOM.

LMT and M4.jpg

Both the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 and the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 are going to be direct competition to the NX8 with regard to weight, size and price. The XTR III is an unknown at this time but early reports are promising so I'll just focus on the NX8 and the Mark 5HD as I had the Mark 5 last year and am familiar with it. Here is a bullet point list I made previously that might be helpful here:

• Tube size: NX8 = 30mm | Mark 5 = 35mm: Advantage NX8 (more common)
    • Illumination: NX8 includes red/green illumination | Mark 5 charges premium for illumination: Advantage NX8
    • Turrets: NX8 has "soft" turrets | Mark 5 has distinct clicks with clever locking mechanism: Advantage Mark 5
    • Reticle: NX8 has Mil-C and Mil-XT | Mark 5 has old style TMR or Horus style: Advantage NX8 (personal preference)
    • Ergonomics: NX8 has narrow mount options | Mark 5 is shorter but limited mount options with 35mm tube: Tie
    • CA control: NX8 has minimal CA throughout mag range | Mark 5 has heavy CA: Advantage NX8
    • IQ: NX8 has edge distortion | Mark 5 struggles to deliver resolution *: Tie
    • DOF/Parallax: NX8 has narrow DOF and finicky parallax | Mark 5 has more forgiving DOF and parallax: Advantage Mark 5
    • Close Focus: NX8 can focus to 11 yards | Mark 5 can focus to about 50 yards: Advantage NX8
    • Low Light: NX8 has 50mm objective | Mark 5 has 44mm objective: Advantage NX8 (however, Mark 5 has excellent low light performance)
    • Magnification: NX8 is 2.5-20x50 | Mark 5 is 3.6-18x44: Advantage NX8
    • Warranty and CS: Nightforce has Lifetime with good CS | Leupold has Lifetime with questionable (of late) CS: Advantage Nightforce
    * My copy had issues with resolution; however, other reports have shown excellent resolution, this may be due to sample variance.
    Obviously the NX8 has more "advantages" above, but we all have our personal preferences and each shooter needs to decide for themselves what matters most and make your decisions accordingly. If you're more a turret guy then the Mark 5 has a definite advantage, but if you're more a reticle and illumination guy the NX8 is the way to go. Burris says around September for the 3.3-18x50 but only in non-illuminated version and I like illumination so will have to wait further, though glass should be the same in both, it will be interesting to see early reports. It is my desire to keep the NX8 around long enough to get the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50 and do a comparative review between both, I will also be able to compare against the March 3-24x52 which I've had but it's been a while so it will be beneficial to have them side by side.

Here's a quick comparison of specs between these scopes
    1567353626287.png

At 26oz. Leupold’s Mark 5 is also sort of in a class unto itself, but with an oddball 35mm main tube. The Mark 5’s non-Christmas tree reticle selection is limited to Leupold’s TMR, a reticle I really don’t get—at all. The TMR looks like a series of compromises made in a design workshop held outdoors that got rained out. That said, I kind of like the aperture at its center. Alternatively, Leupold offers the Mark 5 with the FFP CCH, H59, and Tremor 3 at $200, $300, and $800 upcharges, but I don’t do busy Christmas tree reticles.

Regarding the XTRIII, it doesn’t really exist yet and I haven’t seen one. I can only comment on the specs Burris published and reticle selection. First and foremost, it’s a 34mm tube design coming in under 30 oz., which is a plus for my interests, namely a robust, yet lighter weight crossover type scope for a moderate to lightweight hunting rifle. On the down side, the reticle selection won’t suit my preferences.

The CTL-5318 3-18x50mm has a pretty appealing reticle in the MR1-MIL, weighs in a just over 30 oz. and has a standard 34mm tube. Beyond that, I haven’t seen Crimson Trace’s stuff since SHOT in January. Unfortunately, I didn’t take very detailed notes at their booth and don’t remember if I handled this particular optic. It seems, if I had, I would have remembered it for its reticle and size/weight. I do remember getting a cool CT hat! I’d certainly like to look at this scope more closely.

Regarding the Optika6, I spent a bunch of time at Meopta’s booth, mostly looking at several of their military and tactical scopes, which are not typically seen in the US. I did look at and handle several of their Optika6 line and their new binocular line. Ultimately, the Optika6 line was discounted by my thinking due to reticle selection.

A direct comparison between the NX8 and the March 3-24x50mm would be of great interest.

Finally, I’m not a NF fanboy. The NX8 is actually my first. It wasn’t until the introduction of the MIL-C that NF got close to my reticle preferences. I’m a big fan of a tiny floating center dot. My current favorite is the MSR2, but no one offers it in a smaller, lighter, more compact scope.

Over the last couple years a ton of players have entered the tactical rifle telescope market. Hell, even Brownells is bringing two LOW built tactical scopes to market. Competition is great, but, particularly in the short term, this onslaught makes for a staggering set of choices.

Reactions: JakeM and TACC
    WJM it looks like we were typing at the same time. Thanks for the great synopsis!

Reactions: TACC