• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NightForce NX8 4-32x50 --or-- Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
A few years back, I had to sell my AI AT rifle and my NightForce ATACR.

I am now in a position to get a new AI AT, but I am unsure about the scope choice. I have narrowed it down to a NightForce NX8 4-32x50 and an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 -- Both in MOA.

I like the MOA reticles in these two scopes, since the sub tensions are a bit thicker -- Better for my old eyes. The thicker reticle is part of the reason why I am considering the NX8 over the ATACR.

I am hoping someone out there owns (or has used) both of these scopes and can give me some insight on how they compare. Such as: Glass quality / Repeatability / Eye box.

Durability will likely not be much of a concern for me, since it will likely just go from my safe to my car to the range and back again.

Any help / insight would me much appreciated.

Last edited:
A few years back, I had to sell my AI AT rifle and my NightForce ATACR.

I am now in a position to get a new AI AT, but I am unsure about the scope choice. I have narrowed it down to a NightForce NX8 4-32x50 and an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 -- Both in MOA.

I like the MOA reticles in these two scopes, since the sub tensions are a bit thicker -- Better for my old eyes. The thicker reticle is part of the reason why I am considering the NX8 over the ATACR.

I am hoping someone out there owns (or has used) both of these scopes and can give me some insight on how they compare. Such as: Glass quality / Repeatability / Eye box.

Durability will likely not be much of a concern for me, since it will likely just go from my safe to my car to the range and back again.

Any help / insight would me much appreciated.

I have a Cronus and think the glass is very clear along with the eyebox being rather forgiving. Wish it had better turrets and locking windage. I added a rubber gasket to tighten up the windage turret as I take it varmint hunting frequently. It’s been reliable.

Overall it is solid but it would be nice to hear someone compare it to the NX8.