• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NX8 compared to Ahtlon Cronus BTR

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
I honestly didn't run any tests between these 2 scopes. I just happened to be sighting in a Rock River 308 with an Athlon 4.5-29x56 in for a friend of mine. He also has a Browning Hells Canyon with a NF 4-32x50 on it. I installed both scopes for him and just wanted to get him dialed in. I also have an NX8 on my Vudoo which I have been very happy with. I gotta say for the price the Athlon is one awesome scope. I felt that the Athlon was noticeably brighter and sharper then the NX8. I can't remember what he paid for it but it was around $1300 while the NF is around 1k more. Pretty sure both scopes are made in the same factory in Japan. Its gotten to the point were NF is pricing themselves out of the market. I'd love to get an Atacr 7-35 but they are over 3k. It pretty wild that so many companies are making pretty solid units for under $1500. Competition is helping drive the market. Anyone else has a chance to run them side by side? Too bad Shot was canceled curious if anything new will be hitting the market from these two companies.

I honestly didn't run any tests between these 2 scopes. I just happened to be sighting in a Rock River 308 with an Athlon 4.5-29x56 in for a friend of mine. He also has a Browning Hells Canyon with a NF 4-32x50 on it. I installed both scopes for him and just wanted to get him dialed in. I also have an NX8 on my Vudoo which I have been very happy with. I gotta say for the price the Athlon is one awesome scope. I felt that the Athlon was noticeably brighter and sharper then the NX8. I can't remember what he paid for it but it was around $1300 while the NF is around 1k more. Pretty sure both scopes are made in the same factory in Japan. Its gotten to the point were NF is pricing themselves out of the market. I'd love to get an Atacr 7-35 but they are over 3k. It pretty wild that so many companies are making pretty solid units for under $1500. Competition is helping drive the market. Anyone else has a chance to run them side by side? Too bad Shot was canceled curious if anything new will be hitting the market from these two companies.

Ive had the Nx8 2.5-20x50 side by side with the Cronus btr, granted the Cronus was a higher power scope but I compaired them at both 4.5 power and 20 power and the athlon glass was slightly brighter at 4.5 power and res was about the same, but the cronus glass really out shined the nx8 when it was at x20 power, the eybox was better at 20x power on the Cronus aswell. I couldn't tell you how it compaires to the nx8 4-32x50.

I can Tell you that the Cronus glass it is pretty darn close to a nightforce atacr 5x25x56

One thing about Nightforce scopes though, they are tough. I've seen them take a beating and keep on working fine.

I have two Athlon cronus scopes, one is a Btr, they both feel very stout, and Im sure they could probably take a beating, but I'm not going to be the one to beat on my scopes, lol. another scope that can take a beating is the good Ol fixed power Swfa Super sniper scopes, the SS are also light.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhoges