Nightforce NX8 Vs Leupold MK5 3.6-18 Vs Bushnell HDMR II

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Belligerents
May 19, 2013
Southern Idaho
Hello All,

I'm looking to pick up a New Optic for Large Frame AR. I have experience with the Bushnell HDMR And to be honest was very impressed with it's robustness and ultra reliable tracking, The glass wasn't the best and I'm hoping the improvements on the HDMR II would mitigate those shortcomings. (Yes I'm aware the HDMR II has a little CA) The Bushnell is attractive because of its sub $1000 price range and it just has everything you need and nothing you don't.

I haven't had a chance to get behind a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 or a Leupold MK5 3.6-18 yet, but what attracts me to both of the above is their compact size and sub 30 oz weight and price is within $100 of each other.

So I'm looking for opinions on how all three scopes stack up against each other, and I'm not interested in any others. So if you actually have hands-on experience I would appreciate your feedback.....Thanks

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
As a owner of the NX8’s and no experience with the MK5 I can only speak of the NX8 w/ milxt.

Most complain about the eyebox but as long as your cheekweld height is dialed in the issue with the small eyebox is a non issue imo. The ret is generally usable for precise shots at about 6-7x using the center dot for my eyes.

Reactions: bigjake83

367CSM

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2019
I’m looking at the Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18 with a Tremor 3 reticle. After a great deal of research and talking to two people with them, this is a great way to go.

USACS

Sergeant
Belligerents
I have experience with both, but at different times. I have not been able to compare them side-by-side. Quite honestly the Mk5 and NX8 to me seem pretty similar. I think for me the edge goes to the NX8 because of the wider FOV and having experience with both companies and NF being a company that doesn’t piss me off like Leupold does. Plus, the wider magnification range, not that it makes a massive difference.

WeisGuy

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2019
Bismarck. ND
Mk5 gets my nod. The nx8 is nice but the eye box is pretty tight and the mk5 was significantly brighter when compared in the field. Locking turrets are also a huge plus to me

sparky702

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
I can not comment on the night force nx8 But I have had an opportunity to get behind a mk5 3.6x18 and I own an HD DMR 2 . The mk5 defiantly has better glass and I really liked the compact size and weight . I wanted one very bad , But I got a killer deal on my HD DMR2 plus it was a package deal with a kestrel sportsman 5700 and a havlone hunting knife . I have run the Bushnell in 2 prs gas gun matches and it get's the job done for me the glass is clear ( not as bright as the mk5 but still very good , the turrets work great , it appears to track well , I have the g3 reticle and it is a bit dated but still works for my needs . I hope this helps a little bit . I would still like to have a mk5 3.6x18 I am just going to have to wait a while to get one , A new garage door has took a bit of change out of my budget .

Reactions: bigjake83