• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 - So Far Dissapointed

Arrowhedz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2020
I recently purchased a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and was so excited to throw it on my 16" Daniel Defense as a MK12/Recce inspired build. I sold my Vortex Razor 1-6 to help fund it because I wanted more magnification and a more precise reticle.

When I got it, the field of view was crazy limited to what I was used to with the Razor, but I kept telling myself that they are two very different optics. The glass looked super clear and the build quality looked and felt awesome.

Before I bought it I did tons of internet review searches and it appeared to be highly recommended. I followed the manual's instructions on how to mount it, along with videos by Ryan Cleckner. I followed everything exactly but when it came to setting the diopter I hit a major wall. I ended up giving myself a headache trying to get that thing sighted in to my eyes. No matter what setting it all looked the same to me. I made sure I did not stare at the reticle too long and that I was looking at a white sheet of paper.

I finally thought I got it set up right, then I went to the range to sight it in at 100 yards. When I magnified the optic to 10x, everything but the reticle got super blurry. I was confused until I remembered to adjust the parallax. I read on what to look for and thought I got the parallax figured out. It seems like the only setting that everything was clear on was almost at the infinity mark. To me it still looked like there was parallax.

I shot some groups and thought I had it sighted in. I then reconfirmed it on the same target but on different 2 MOA circles. The groups went from good to worse, to good, to worse, to super bad at the end. I only fired maybe 30 rounds if that. I was all over the place and super disappointed. I understand my DD is not a super precision rifle but I expected the groups to be all similar.

I understand that many factors come in to play such as ammo and stuff. But everything was consistent during my 45 minute session. I started searching for answers online and determined it was most likely the parallax. What is frustrating is a lot of the forums I read, including on here, many people struggled to get the parallax set right, a clear picture, and clear reticle with this particular optic. I might have went a different route if I would have read this sooner.

I am super disappointed in the optic and have still struggled to get it all focused right. I am in the process of trying to return it/sell it so I am not screwed out of my money. Maybe I am being rash but I thought for what I paid it would not this difficult to get everything focused to my eye.

Edited****Sorry if this is a bad post. I am newer to this forum and especially to this relm of optics and magnification. I am venting for sure, but also seeking help on the best way to set this dang thing up. Thanks all for listening to me rant and offering advice. I wanted to be thorough as to what I have been doing in order to be detailed and receive the best advice specific to my issues.

Last edited:
So are you looking for help or just complaining about a scope you don’t know how to set up / use correctly?

Haha both I suppose. I am definitely venting. I want it work out but can't seem to figure it out. I have followed the advice offered by forum members on here and on other posts and still can not seem to figure it out. Some say the image will be slightly blurry when there is no parallax but I do not understand why the image has to be blurry? You would think you would want to see everything clearly and not just the reticle.

What other scopes have you had experience with?

This will be my first 2.5-10. Otherwise, Razor 1-6x, Reddots/Eotech, and a little bit of time with some cheaper 3-9 optics. This is my first Nightforce.

Either/or/and hour diopter is setup incorrectly, you are not removing parallax correctly, your mount torque is insufficient, some part of your optic mounting setup is wrong.

Chances it’s the scope probably somewhere on the realm of .000001%

When you set the diopter did you have the scope set to max magnification & parallax? Instead of a piece of paper try using the sky as your background. If the reticle was just as clear and crisp at either end of the diopter range you need to rest your eye more between QUICK GLANCES. Crisp up the edges of the reticle rather than the center.

The parallax adjustment on this scope is a bit finicky and will take some practice. Can you successfully eliminate parallax on other scopes? It sounds like this might have been your first time. It also sounds like it’s your first time shooting a gas gun? If so that opens up a whole other can of worms. 30 rounds of what? Was your rifle previously shooting sub moa?

Eye box.... Coming from the razor 1-6 I can see how you might be disappointed but if you truly did your research you should have known more or less what you’re getting with the 2.5-10.

Either/or/and hour diopter is setup incorrectly, you are not removing parallax correctly, your mount torque is insufficient, some part of your optic mounting setup is wrong.

Chances it’s the scope probably somewhere on the realm of .000001%

I am assuming it is the Diopter and the Parallax. The mount I am using is a Scalarworks mount and I made sure to torque it correctly and it feels solid in the mount. I would not think it is the optic at all and I agree with your percentage haha.

Love the performance of Nightforce optics but if your not comfortable behind the scope it maybe a good idea to sell. At least NF have good resale value.

When you set the diopter did you have the scope set to max magnification & parallax? Instead of a piece of paper try using the sky as your background. If the reticle was just as clear and crisp at either end of the diopter range you need to rest your eye more between QUICK GLANCES. Crisp up the edges of the reticle rather than the center.

The parallax adjustment on this scope is a bit finicky and will take some practice. Can you successfully eliminate parallax on other scopes? It sounds like this might have been your first time. It also sounds like it’s your first time shooting a gas gun? If so that opens up a whole other can of worms. 30 rounds of what? Was your rifle previously shooting sub moa?

Eye box.... Coming from the razor 1-6 I can see how you might be disappointed but if you truly did your research you should have known more or less what you’re getting with the 2.5-10.

The magnification was set to max but the parallax I believe was set to the minimum. So no to the max parallax. I also was looking at the center of the reticle, not the edges so I will focus on those when I get home and try it again. I swore I was taking long enough breaks but maybe not because I laid there for like 45 minutes trying to get this figured out.

I have never tried adjusting the parallax before as the optics I have experience with were fixed. So yes first time.

As far as first time shooting a gas gun. No. I have two ARs I use frequently, this being one of them. The Razor I mentioned was mounted to this rifle and I was getting 1.75is to 2 MOA groups at 100 yds. I was struggling seeing the 8x11 target I was shooting so 200 was as far as I got that gun/optic.

The day I was shooting with this NF I was using 55g Re-manufactured Freedom Munitions rounds. One group I shot was 1 MOA and then another was bloody 3 to 4 MOA.

I was expecting a big reduction in eye box and field of view but it was worse than I expected and maybe that is me being new to the optic. I wonder how Leupold compares. I live in a town where higher end optics do not exist so I always have to watch videos, look at pictures and hope for the best. Cameras make the field of view bigger than my eye does it seems. Also my eyesight sucks so bad so I thought that did not help haha.

Love the performance of Nightforce optics but if your not comfortable behind the scope it maybe a good idea to sell. At least NF have good resale value.

I have only taken it out once so I am more unsure than uncomfortable at this point? Initial impressions I guess is what I am going off of haha.

Take the scoped rifle and point at a wall approx 5' away(unloaded obviously). Focus the eye piece (the part of the scope you see through that rotates) tell the reticle is crisp and clear.

From there on your eye piece is set and don't fuck with it. Only adjust parallax from here on. To confirm your parallax is set at the correct setting at the correct distance you will have to be stable in a rest and rotate your eye around the scope and see if the image moves. If your set correctly it will not move.

Target in focus should be good enough but only way to make sure is following instructions above. Also try to always have the same sight picture.
Good luck.

Reman 55 fmjs. Just the ticket for accuracy.

It has the MOAR reticle. Also I have seen them sell on here for more than 1k good sir haha!

Hey now, 55 re-manufactured are what the SOF are using these days lol just kidding. I knew it was not going to produce the best groups, I was wanting to see consistency in the groups. These groups went all over the place. Some touching, others major flyers. My last attempt I tried putting 5 rounds in a 2 MOA cirlce. I took my time and everything and not one went in the damn circle. Even though before that I grouped three together touching. I was so confused.

If you're cranked to the infinite paralax to get the picture to clear at 100yds your diopter focus is way wrong. Also improper eye relief can make your eyebox seem artificially small if you're right on the edge.

Take the scoped rifle and point at a wall approx 5' away(unloaded obviously). Focus the eye piece (the part of the scope you see through that rotates) tell the reticle is crisp and clear.

From there on your eye piece is set and don't fuck with it. Only adjust parallax from here on. To confirm your parallax is set at the correct setting at the correct distance you will have to be stable in a rest and rotate your eye around the scope and see if the image moves. If your set correctly it will not move.

Target in focus should be good enough but only way to make sure is following instructions above. Also try to always have the same sight picture.
Good luck.

I will give it another shot and see if I can not get it. I spent quite awhile attempting that the other day with confusing results. I will mess with the parallax a lot more and see if I can not see a better difference for when it is present and not. Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated!

If you're cranked to the infinite paralax to get the picture to clear at 100yds your diopter focus is way wrong. Also improper eye relief can make your eyebox seem artificially small if you're right on the edge.

That makes sense because I thought there was no way it needed to be set at infinite to get a decent sight picture. The eye relief might be an issue too because I suck at trying to get the scope and my stock in the right position. I swear it works one second and then is all off the next.

More magnification does not always equate to smaller group size. Make a target that fits the magnification and reticule type .

Using what is best case 2 MOA but more likely 4 or 5 MOA ammo and expecting match ammo performance is setting yourself up for failure .

There is a sticky at the beginning of this sub section with very good instructions as how to set up the diopter on scopes with an adjustable eye piece .

Last edited:
More magnification does not always equate to smaller group size. Make a target that fits the magnification and reticule type .

Using what is best case 2 MOA but more likely 4 or 5 MOA ammo and expecting match ammo performance is setting yourself up for failure .

There is a sticky at the beginning of this sub section with very good instructions as how to set up the filter on scopes with an adjustable eye piece .

I was assuming more magnification meant I could see better and therefore make more accurate shots? It sounds like I am very very wrong haha.

Yeahhh I should have probably got better ammo to sight this thing in at. I will attempt it again with better ammo. I just do not want to waste expensive rounds when I can't seem to get the optic set up right. After I do though, I definitely will try better ammo.

I will check that out now, I appreciate it!

I recently purchased a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and was so excited to throw it on my 16" Daniel Defense as a MK12/Recce inspired build. I sold my Vortex Razor 1-6 to help fund it because I wanted more magnification and a more precise reticle.

When I got it, the field of view was crazy limited to what I was used to with the Razor, but I kept telling myself that they are two very different optics. The glass looked super clear and the build quality looked and felt awesome.

Before I bought it I did tons of internet review searches and it appeared to be highly recommended. I followed the manual's instructions on how to mount it, along with videos by Ryan Cleckner. I followed everything exactly but when it came to setting the diopter I hit a major wall. I ended up giving myself a headache trying to get that thing sighted in to my eyes. No matter what setting it all looked the same to me. I made sure I did not stare at the reticle too long and that I was looking at a white sheet of paper.

I finally thought I got it set up right, then I went to the range to sight it in at 100 yards. When I magnified the optic to 10x, everything but the reticle got super blurry. I was confused until I remembered to adjust the parallax. I read on what to look for and thought I got the parallax figured out. It seems like the only setting that everything was clear on was almost at the infinity mark. To me it still looked like there was parallax.

I shot some groups and thought I had it sighted in. I then reconfirmed it on the same target but on different 2 MOA circles. The groups went from good to worse, to good, to worse, to super bad at the end. I only fired maybe 30 rounds if that. I was all over the place and super disappointed. I understand my DD is not a super precision rifle but I expected the groups to be all similar.

I understand that many factors come in to play such as ammo and stuff. But everything was consistent during my 45 minute session. I started searching for answers online and determined it was most likely the parallax. What is frustrating is a lot of the forums I read, including on here, many people struggled to get the parallax set right, a clear picture, and clear reticle with this particular optic. I might have went a different route if I would have read this sooner.

I am super disappointed in the optic and have still struggled to get it all focused right. I am in the process of trying to return it/sell it so I am not screwed out of my money. Maybe I am being rash but I thought for what I paid it would not this difficult to get everything focused to my eye.

Edited****Sorry if this is a bad post. I am newer to this forum and especially to this relm of optics and magnification. I am venting for sure, but also seeking help on the best way to set this dang thing up. Thanks all for listening to me rant and offering advice. I wanted to be thorough as to what I have been doing in order to be detailed and receive the best advice specific to my issues.

Here are three threads you should read. The NF scopes are difficult to adjust due to their long diopter

Parallax Questions

Image Focus

Target blurry

Did you even RTFM?

I did read the manual. Multiple times in fact. I do, do my research and make sure I am following the instructions when it comes to things. Especially optics and firearms. The manual does not state to turn the parallax setting to infinity before setting the diopter, only the magnification to max. So when I was told/read that, it was news to me. But again yes I read the manual.

The manual does not state to turn the parallax setting to infinity before setting the diopter,

Just to clarify the only reason I recommended setting the parallax to max was for adjusting the diopter while looking into the sky. If your going to use a wall 5 feet away I would set it to minimum parallax. It might not even matter but it makes sense to me so that’s what I’ve always done. Good luck

I’m sure I’m the outlier on this website. With that being said I had the 2.5-10x42 with Mil-r reticle. I had read all kinds of good things on it and when I got it I was not impressed. I sold it and went back to my Bushnell 3-12 LRTS. My Daniel Defense V7 from 2012 always grouped sub MOA with lake city 55 gn FMJ and SWFA 10x. Which was better than my Larue OBR 5.56. So try a better known quality ammo if you can. I have had bad luck with freedom munitions personally.

Back to the optic, Maybe we both had scopes on the outer edge of QC but there’s a lot of nice scopes out now, and in my mind there’s no reason to keep messing with one that doesn’t agree with you. It says Nightforce on it and a lot of people swear by Nightforce for mechanical reliability, which is very important but NF isn’t the end all. Try the recommendations listed above, if it doesn’t work for you.. Try something else, everyone’s eyes are different. Good luck.

Reactions: lash
Just to clarify the only reason I recommended setting the parallax to max was for adjusting the diopter while looking into the sky. If your going to use a wall 5 feet away I would set it to minimum parallax. It might not even matter but it makes sense to me so that’s what I’ve always done. Good luck

Ohh gotcha gotcha. When I was originally setting it I had it on minimum power when I was about 4 feet away from the wall. So I will try the sky one and see if that works better for my eyes. Thanks again!

The reason for using the wall 5' away is that the parallax will have no influence, as you can't focus that close. The eye piece will be set for your eye.

That's why the reticle will be sharp and continue to be sharp throughout the distance ranges when you get to using the parallax.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
I’m sure I’m the outlier on this website. With that being said I had the 2.5-10x42 with Mil-r reticle. I had read all kinds of good things on it and when I got it I was not impressed. I sold it and went back to my Bushnell 3-12 LRTS. My Daniel Defense V7 from 2012 always grouped sub MOA with lake city 55 gn FMJ and SWFA 10x. Which was better than my Larue OBR 5.56. So try a better known quality ammo if you can. I have had bad luck with freedom munitions personally.

Back to the optic, Maybe we both had scopes on the outer edge of QC but there’s a lot of nice scopes out now, and in my mind there’s no reason to keep messing with one that doesn’t agree with you. It says Nightforce on it and a lot of people swear by Nightforce for mechanical reliability, which is very important but NF isn’t the end all. Try the recommendations listed above, if it doesn’t work for you.. Try something else, everyone’s eyes are different. Good luck.

That is how I am feeling right now. I will definitely try better ammo and the tips I learned from this post along with others suggested and hopefully will have different results. I appreciate your post and information. I believe my DDM4V9 is from the 2012ish or 2013ish years.

I would hope mine is inline with QC but it would be my luck as of late to end up ordering a lemon. I will try fighting it again over my next two days off and see if I cannot figure it out. If not I can't foresee myself continuing to fight it on every day off I have. I definitely will and I appreciate the post and advice!

The reason for using the wall 5' away is that parallax with have no influence as you can't focus that close. The eye piece will be set for your eye.

That's why the eye piece will be sharp and continue to be sharp throughout the distance ranges when you get to using the parallax.

I will try the wall again as well and see what I come up with. Everyone has been suggesting to not glance at the cent of the reticle. That is where I was originally looking. I will look at the edges and see if that does not clean up the reticle. I am hoping the field of view and the reticle are sharper if I do this.

I will try the wall again as well and see what I come up with. Everyone has been suggesting to not glance at the cent of the reticle. That is where I was originally looking. I will look at the edges and see if that does not clean up the reticle. I am hoping the field of view and the reticle are sharper if I do this.

Buy a couple boxes of Black Hills 77g otm or Mk262 mod 1. Then have a known good shooter with you next time while both of you shoot the rifle, evaluating the scope as you go. If both shooters are having issues and you have sufficiently/satisfactorily ruled out other causes not related to the scope (such as bringing another scope with you and shooting it with the known good scope, getting materially different and better down range performance), I would contact NF customer service and go from there.

Ive has the 2.5-10x24 and 32 and they were great scopes that functioned as expected (never owned the ‘42).

Reactions: Arrowhedz

Think about it this way. Your eyes can only focus in sharp detail on only one distance at a time. When you look at something close, far objects appear blurry and vice versa.

When you stare through a scope. You are looking through a series of lenses. The same concepts apply about focusing.

You can think of the eye piece as a set of glasses that needs to be set to match your eyes. If it is set properly the reticle will never change when using parallax to focus at different distances. If it is not set correctly the reticle will change appearances with adjustment of the parallax as your eye will be fighting to gain an in-focus sight picture.

If looking towards budget ammo try Australian outback ammo. The fiochi loaded with varmint bullets isn’t terrible either

Buy a couple boxes of Black Hills 77g otm or Mk262 mod 1. Then have a known good shooter with you next time while both of you shoot the rifle, evaluating the scope as you go. If both shooters are having issues and you have sufficiently/satisfactorily ruled out other causes not related to the scope (such as bringing another scope with you and shooting it with the known good scope, getting materially different and better down range performance), I would contact NF customer service and go from there.

Ive has the 2.5-10x24 and 32 and they were great scopes that functioned as expected (never owned the ‘42).

I will definitely try that and I appreciate the post and advice. The only problem I face is finding someone to go with me that knows what the hell they are doing haha. I have a few good friends that shoot but are not the most knowledgeable in this realm. One of them might be but it is iffy haha. Also, I have super bad eyesight, and so would that effect the way they shot with my optic if it was set up to my crappy eyesight and they had good eyesight?

I really feel it is user error and not the scope, but like you said, if myself and my buddy both can not seem to get this thing right then calling NF customer service will be the way I will go.

I really want it to work out because I have always loved the look of the 2.5-20x24 and the MK12 style rifles.

I have terrible eyes and have to crank the ocular way out to get a crisp reticle. Some of my buddies hate shooting my guns because of that. Some must have bad eyes too cause they don’t have issues

If looking towards budget ammo try Australian outback ammo. The fiochi loaded with varmint bullets isn’t terrible either
Thanks for the advice on the ammo, I will check it out. My local Cabelas and Sportsmans suck when it comes to buying ammo. That is why I normally buy it online haha. I want this thing figured out though so I will go tomorrow and see what offerings they have.

Think about it this way. Your eyes can only focus in sharp detail on only one distance at a time. When you look at something close, far objects appear blurry and vice versa.

When you stare through a scope. You are looking through a series of lenses. The same concepts apply about focusing.

You can think of the eye piece as a set of glasses that needs to be set to match your eyes. If it is set properly the reticle will never change when using parallax to focus at different distances. If it is not set correctly the reticle will change appearances with adjustment of the parallax as your eye will be fighting to gain an in-focus sight picture.

This makes sense and explains why my reticle would sometimes be blurry and then clear all of a sudden. I kept thinking I would get it and then it would do it randomly after a shot or two.

I have terrible eyes and have to crank the ocular way out to get a crisp reticle. Some of my buddies hate shooting my guns because of that. Some must have bad eyes too cause they don’t have issues
I have super bad eyesight too and the ocular lense on mine is maybe 5 turns (counter clockwise) out from being adjusted all the way in. It sounds like I need quite a few more turns out in order to get it closer to my bad eye sight haha.

I really liked the NXS, it’s great for an AR.
But ultimately I sold it because the only way to get completely rid of parallax, I had to accept a less than crisp target image.
Others at my local range found the same.

Also, I have super bad eyesight, and so would that effect the way they shot with my optic if it was set up to my crappy eyesight and they had good eyesight?

Well, I’d start there and shoot with your glasses or contacts in/on if you don't already do so.

Is this the only 10x magnification-or-greater scope you have had issues with?

edit: Have one or two of your friends get behind the scope and adjust it to their eyes. if the scope looks crisp/clear at higher magnification to them, you have successfully identified the source of the problem.

Last edited:
I really liked the NXS, it’s great for an AR.
But ultimately I sold it because the only way to get completely rid of parallax, I had to accept a less than crisp target image.
Others at my local range found the same.
That is what I am afraid of and do not want. I would think both images could both be clear since it is a higher end optic. There had been some posts on how to make the two clear and so I might try that and see.

Well, I’d start there and shoot with your glasses or contacts in/on if you don't already do so.

Is this the only 10x magnification-or-greater scope you have had issues with?

edit: Have one or two of your friends get behind the scope and adjust it to their eyes. if the scope looks crisp/clear at higher magnification to them, you have successfully identified the source of the problem.

I do shoot with my contacts in pretty much all of the time. Glasses once in awhile.

I have not had a 10x or greater optic before so this is all new for me.

I will have my buddy check it out and see what he comes up with. He has 20/20 vision (lucky guy) and so if we can get it set up with him then we will for sure know it was me being an idiot haha.

That is what I am afraid of and do not want. I would think both images could both be clear since it is a higher end optic. There had been some posts on how to make the two clear and so I might try that and see.

Reticle sharpness and parallax free are not the same. As discussed, follow the guidelines for setting the ocular, than leave it and forget it. Your reticle will be adjusted for your eyesight.

If you set it up for your buddy who has 20/20 vision, it will totally be setup wrong for you when you’re done. Just a reminder for you. ;)

Reticle sharpness and parallax free are not the same. As discussed, follow the guidelines for setting the ocular, than leave it and forget it. Your reticle will be adjusted for your eyesight.

Copy, I will do that.

I was referring to this method in a few links suggested above where they got the ocular lens set, then they looked at a target at 100 yds, then adjusted to no parallax, then focused the ocular lens until the sight picture was clear, then they went back and forth with this method in order to achieve both a sharp reticle and a clear sight picture. I was unsure if this method was a good one to follow and was considering trying it out.

If you set it up for your buddy who has 20/20 vision, it will totally be setup wrong for you when you’re done. Just a reminder for you. ;)
Yes! I will make sure I change it back to my poor eyesight before we leave haha!