• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1

PistonPete

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2009
Somewhere in the desert S.W.
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1
Created at the request of the U.S. military, who needed a scope that is extremely fast, applicable to a wide range of targets at various distances, and offering a choice of elevation/windage click values, reticles, ballistic turrets and Nightforce's patented ZeroStop technology. The reticle is located in the first focal plane, meaning its size remains in the same ratio to the target across the entire magnfication range. This has distinct advantages in high-stress situations, and when the user can expect to encounter targets from close-in to hundreds of yards away.

anyone here got one of these ? looking for opinions, reviews and comments.., BUT ! keep it civil my dear friends, i am considering adding this one to the stable of fine optics i already own.

your dear friend Piston Pete

Re: Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1

Pete i have and so do alot of other people on this board. Its a great scope, glass is good, but the shear durability and reliability are what makes the NF what it is. The F1 is the best bang for your buck scope out there. You would be well suited with one

deadly0311 says,<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have and so do alot of other people on this board</div></div>

thank you sir for your reply, but i wish that several of the 128 "lookie lous" would have chimed in with their experiences with range, ease of focusing/zooming, sharpness of clicks with the turrets, choice of reticle, likes or dislikes.., ya knoe, stuff like that.

Do a search. Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone.

That scope has been much discussed on this system. Learn to use the search function.

A Google advanced search input screen is shown below. That search turned up more than 3900 links to posts with mil, moa, and hunting in them. Some of them are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> related to hunting, but many are.

The Google advanced search, restricted to snipershide.com as shown in the input screen, is by far the best way to search this site. Feel free to click on "Date, Usage Rights,..." to further restrict the search.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

hidesearch.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">deadly0311 says,<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have and so do alot of other people on this board</div></div>

thank you sir for your reply, but i wish that several of the 128 "lookie lous" would have chimed in with their experiences with range, ease of focusing/zooming, sharpness of clicks with the turrets, choice of reticle, likes or dislikes.., ya knoe, stuff like that. </div></div>

What can I say? It's a Nightforce NSX:

Magnification changes are done by rotating the entire ocular. Some people like it because it's easier to grab than just a little ring, others wish it wouldn't rotate their BC cap. It's up to you.

The ocular isn't a fast focus type, if your vision is markedly abnormal you'll probably have to twirl the ocular adjustment quite a bit when you first get it. BUT, it will lock in place so you should only have to do it once and the fine thread means you can really tweak it perfect if you want. Whether or not you prefer it is up to you.

I've got an MLR reticle. Not my favorite but nothing wrong with it. It's thinner than a Gen II. If you like it or not is up to you.

Turrets are the same zero-stop as the non-FFP version. I really like the large space between clicks and the solid but not hard resistance they give. Clicks feel, IMHO, closer to that of an EREK than a PR or S&B. But you pay the price for the distance between clicks with only 5 mil per rev. Alternatively you can get an S&B or PR and have them REAL close together and a single-turn turret. If you like that or not is up to you.

I find that with eye-relief it is much more a "you're either on it or your not" situation. Either I've got a good clear picture edge-to-edge or it's completely shadowed out and I can't see anything, there is very little gray area. This is opposed to, say, my PR where the shadowing was much more subtle but I found it difficult to determine when my eye was centered and getting a nice crisp edge-to-edge picture. Personally I like knowing immediately that my head is out of place rather than having to wonder if I'm so far off I'm gonna throw the shot or not. What you prefer is up to you.

Illumination is controlled by pulling on the parallax knob. Easy on , easy off. No muss, no fuss. But you can't adjust brightness without disassembling the parallax knob and taking a tiny screwdriver to it. I like the simplicity of operation since I rarely need any illumination at all. Others prefer more control. What you want is up to you.

I wish there was a 2" USO-style ARD available for it instead of the included 4" sunshade. Oh well, I'll live.

So far, I like mine better than my Heritage. When they release the 5.5-22 I'll probably get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish there was a 2" USO-style ARD available for it instead of the included 4" sunshade.</div></div>

Duct-tape a piece of panty hose over the end of the sunshade. It works pretty well.

Buy your own panty hose rather than cutting a piece out of your lady's.
laugh.gif

Side story: a friend of mine worked on a diving barge summers while in college. They ran out of air filters for the compressor, so they sent him in to a grocery store to buy their entire supply of Kotex Maxi-Pads, which worked well as a substitute air filter. He was afraid the store clerks would think he was a runner for a house of ill-repute...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish there was a 2" USO-style ARD available for it instead of the included 4" sunshade.</div></div>

Duct-tape a piece of panty hose over the end of the sunshade. It works pretty well.

Buy your own panty hose rather than cutting a piece out of your lady's.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I want it for the glare-abatement rather than OPSec reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search. Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone. </div></div>

i have tried, where exactly is the, "Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone.", on S.H. or some other site ? please consider i am no "puter whiz kid".

Paint the inside of the sunshade with flat-black paint. The inside of the shade on my F1 is ribbed, which helps, but flat-black paint helps more. The ARD only helps on off-axis glare anyway, but the paint helps, too.

Pete here is what i think about the NF F1
- Its stupid reliable, tracks flawlessly
- Rotating ocular doesnt bother me, i dont have the most precise fine motor skills anyway
- Clicks are well spaced and i like that, the 5 mils per turn doesnt bother me
- The glass is good, but is something i dont get to wound up in scopes about
- Its very durable and has a proven track record
- I like the MLR reticle, just wish the .5 mil marks were a little longer

the only thing that i dont like about the scope is there isnt different illumination settings, its either on or off. And the NF rings that come with it arent my favorite either.

Hope this helps, thats what "deadly0311 says"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search. Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone. </div></div>

i have tried, where exactly is the, "Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone.", on S.H. or some other site ? please consider i am no "puter whiz kid".</div></div>

Funny. I put in F1 in the subject and my name in the SH search and came up with 108 posts. Not rocket science.

Deadly and Rat summed it up well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paint the inside of the sunshade with flat-black paint. The inside of the shade on my F1 is ribbed, which helps, but flat-black paint helps more. The ARD only helps on off-axis glare anyway, but the paint helps, too.

</div></div>

Off-axis is the real problem for me. During the winter months the sun crosses the sky right across the top of the berm at my local range. Really cuts into the available shooting time as a scope without any sort of sunshade will begin to white-out starting @ 3:00. I've always liked the USO ARD as it extends my shooting time by an hour or more. Sunshade works too, but it's twice as long so I don't tend to just leave it installed the way I do the ARD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the only thing that i dont like about the scope is there isnt different illumination settings, its either on or off. And the NF rings that come with it arent my favorite either.
</div></div>

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I wish the scope didn't come with rings and instead was $100-$150 cheaper as I'm just going to use Seekins instead anyway. I don't like being forced to buy options.

Pete, if you decide on a NF scope you will most likely NOT be unhappy and it will probably outlast you, me, and most people we know.I have 3, and will probably buy more over time.They are hell for strong,solid,and turret tracking is about perfect.Glass is amazingly clear in pretty much any kind of light ( haze, fog, bright sun, dusk, etc.)Clicks just "feel" right, eye position is not overly fussy, and although reticle lighting is "on or off" it's easily adjustable by unscrewing the cap on the focus turret and turning the tiny screw in there ( battery also hides under there).Is it the "best" scope? Probably not, but for most people price considered it's tough to beat.For me only way I can explain it is that it doesn't seem to do anything "wrong".....and good luck in your scope hunt!

Pete,

I have the F1. Love the clicks, the feel, and distance between the clicks on elevation or windage (although I hold off for windage). Has good eye relief 3.7" or something like that.

The power adjustment ring is a little snug, but easy enough to turn. My take on this is to make it less likely to move during bumps, drops, rubs etc. Feels bomb proof, although I know at some point something could break, I don't worry about it.

I have the MLR reticle and I like it. It's thin enough not to obstruct small targets at distance. However, if you can get behind one with the Mil-dot vs. MLR I'd recommend that as everyones prefs are different. If hunting I can see where someone might have issues with the reticle being lost in shaded trees etc, just pop the illum knob and problem solved for me.

I loved my F1. Ended up letting it go for two reasons:

Didn't like the whole ocular moving when adjusting power.
Didn't like way the illumination worked. It was on or off. It is adjustable via a TINY rheostat underneath the battery. BUT, it is VERY sensitive and a little bit went a long ways. So much in fact, that I couldn't get it where I liked it.

The are GREAT scopes. Really reliable. Glass is good. I liked the open mildot reticle.

Well worth the money. There are very few who will argue otherwise.

Does anyone know when the new F1 models from the 2010 SHOT Show with the 10 mil elevation turrets will be available ?

Hank440,

I thought the new scopes already had the 10 mil turns on them. I spoke to NF about my scope to have it retro fitted and they said I would need to wait till May. It might be the same if they arent available yet.

i want to thank all of you who contributed useful info, the NF will be on my list to buy, next is the Schmidt & Bender
opplanet-schmidt-bender-3-12x50-pm-2-wide-fov-parallax-adjustment-police-maksman-riflescopes.png

what do you knowledgeable folks think, i just checked my scope budget and this one is in my price range, after these two scopes what do you all recommend for my third scope within $2500.00 range ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Piston Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search. Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone. </div></div>

i have tried, where exactly is the, "Lots of info on the F1 under my name alone.", on S.H. or some other site ? please consider i am no "puter whiz kid". </div></div>
It's nice to see you post without the huge screaming letters Pete. Hope you like your new scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved my F1. Ended up letting it go for two reasons:

<span style="color: #FF0000">Didn't like the whole ocular moving when adjusting power</span>.
Didn't like way the illumination worked. It was on or off. It is adjustable via a TINY rheostat underneath the battery. BUT, it is VERY sensitive and a little bit went a long ways. So much in fact, that I couldn't get it where I liked it.

The are GREAT scopes. Really reliable. Glass is good. I liked the open mildot reticle.

Well worth the money. There are very few who will argue otherwise. </div></div>

brand692.....does the ocular move so far it is out of focus?

The reticle focus and power are in the same area but work independently of each other. Once the reticle is focused you lock the ring so when changing power it doesn't effect the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reticle focus and power are in the same area but work independently of each other. Once the reticle is focused you lock the ring so when changing power it doesn't effect the reticle. </div></div>

so the ocular moving when you adjust power sounds like a non issue....or am I missing something?

It's a total non issue and is designed for a variety of reasons.

What happens is, people use butler creek caps instead of the bikini covers from NF and then, don't take 3 minutes to mount them in the middle correctly so when they do turn the power rings, usually not for any shooting reason, they end up having the butler creek cap hit the rifle so they don't like them.

But it's a total non-issue in terms of the reticle focus and it's just a personal thing for some.