• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS edge distortion

kindred_spirits

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
Jamison, PA
Hey guys,

I was shooting my 700 today, which has a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 mounted on it. At 100 yards, I noticed the edges were a little distorted and out of focus. Is this normal? The focus knob did not fix this. I had the sunshade on, and it was a little overcast.

If this is not the norm for Nightforce scopes, will they fix it under warranty?

Re: Nightforce NXS edge distortion

Does the edge distortion decrease when you dial the power down?

It's just because it doesn't have the blocking ring in there which a lot of scope makers use to hide the distortion.

I wouldn't sweat it.

kindered spirits, i get some edge distortion when i dial down below 5X on my F1 and it doesnt affect functioning or anything with the scope. Its fine

Edge distorsion is fairly common at the high end and low ends of the mangnification range.

It adds greatly to the cost of the glass to attempt to deal with it, so the majority of production scopes (even high end) have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just because it doesn't have the blocking ring in there which a lot of scope makers use to hide the distortion.

I wouldn't sweat it. </div></div>

How do you use it to help read the mirage? I noticed it on my NXS scopes but didn't give it much thought to how I can actually apply it for some kind of benefit.