• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS MOA settings

dudz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
New Zealand
Hi
I Bought a used but very new NF NXS 12-42x56NP-R2 from Ebay and a 20MOA rail (from Thirdeye)
Up until last week I had a SWFA 10X42M scope with LOADS of Adjustment.
I knew the Nightforce had less, but I figured a 20Moa rail would fix that....Wrong ! . I used my standard 0MOA rail and found that I need at least 30Moa rail to get 1000 yards (with still a few clicks left over) with my 7/08 custom rifle. I had over 20Moa left at 1000 Yards with the SWFA using the same standard rail and rings. Bizzare ?
The other issue is the windage adjustment. I have Zerod the scope at 150 Yards with both elevation and windage. I have only 9Moa in one direction left to play with. I hope this is a problem with the standard rail, not the scope ! .
I will be fitting the 20MOA rail when I recieve the LaRue Tactical Picatinny Riser QD LT101 (lever mount) to raise the scope up some more to be able to get the scope caps on over the barrel hand guard . Hopefully the windage problem will then dissapear.

Last edited:
Just a quick question for you and not to insult you, but have you tried taking the scope off and mechanically zeroing it? Then remount and re-zero? If the problem is still there, then it's probably the mount.

Dont quite follow you hewlett. How can I zero the scope when it is Not on the rifle ? because whatever I zero it at...when I mount it to the rifle, the zero is going to be in a different possition anyway.

Since my initial post, I took a closer look at the setup. I found that on the 0MOA mount, that the scope was elevated towards the front of the rifle around 3mms ! . On the old scope, this would'nt of been an issue as there was huge amounts of adjustment spare.
So I am guessing the mount is the problem.

The 12-42 nxs scopes have very little travel. If you have enough adjustment to reach 1000 you are very fortunat and have already got it set up about as well as it is going to get. When I had mine I believe 30 moa cant was the base I settled on. 7 moa does not sound like a whole lot of windage, but than again they do not have much to begin with and if your base is even slightly off to one side this is what I would expect.

How much windage do you have the other way?

How much elevation below zero do you have ( I bet around 5-7)?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/44949363" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

this might help

I know this is uso , but should give you a good idea

Last edited:
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/44949363" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

this might help

I know this is uso , but should give you a good idea

An easier method that does not require taking the scope out of the rings is to take a compact mirror and place it in front of the objective. If you see two sets of crosshairs then your erector isn't centered. While looking through the scope into the mirror, adjust the turrets till the crosshair becomes one image.

Last edited:
thats a very simple but good idea. I have a laser bore sighter (the bullet shaped type). This item in the video would be equaly as usefull, thanks. When I recieve the Larue mount, I will mount it to my new 20Moa rail. I'm sure the results will be better.

Thanks

A Mechanical zero is just what the video shows and there are about ten different ways to do it. The way I do it is pull the scope off the gun and one turret at a time go all the way one way, then back all the way keeping track of revs and clicks. When you have that number, cut it in half and that turret now has the erector in the middle of its adjustment range. Sorry I didn't clarify what I meant sooner.

I have several 12-42x56s on 20 MOA mounts that I use out to 1000 yd (.308). It takes me ~32.5-33.5 MOA to get there, depending on the load. I still have in the neighborhood of 8.0 MOA elevation adjustment left, so I'm guessing it must be an issue with your mount as your 7/08 ought to require much less elevation to reach 1000 yd than my .308s. With a flat mount (0 MOA), you should have in the neighborhood of 20 MOA upward elevation adjustment left after a 100 yd zero (out of 22.5 total at factory optical zero). If not, something is wrong and it may be the mount as you mentioned. Good luck with it.