• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce NXS vs. Leupold Mark 4 LR/T

nations1017

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
MS
Need some help here...I'm having a hard time deciding between the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 and the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T. Will mainly be using for long range hunting. Other than reticle options, what are the major pros/cons between the 2 scopes? I'd like to hear from both sides...

Re: Nightforce NXS vs. Leupold Mark 4 LR/T

I would actually love a FFP scope but I am on somewhat of a budget so I will have to settle for 2FP at the moment. I know the FFP scopes are quite a bit higher in price. Correct me if I'm wrong but hey also take all the guess work and calculations out and make the MOA/MILS proportionate to my target since the reticle matches the magnification correct?

I love Leupold, but I would take the Nightforce as well in that power range. One thing the Leupold has over the Nightforce is that it is a lot lighter for hunting. But to me the matching adjusments of the Nightforce trumps all of that.

I owed a 5.5-22 nightforce and now own a loopy mk4m5 6.5-20. I prefer my Leupold. I think that a lot of what you pay for in nightforce is the name and its reputation for ruggedness. I was not impressed with the glass of my nightforce for the price. It was better than, say, vortex, but not as good as my Leupold.
Since you're just hunting and not in a field of battle I'd say go Leupold for the glass. Only downfall is the only way to get matching turrets is to go m5, and that means ffp only, which I'm fine with, but it adds $300 to the price tag. I'd also highly recommend the TMR over mildot.

Flip a coin. Before you could get matching reticle/adjustments on the Mark 4, the NF would be the obvious choice. Currently, I consider them evenly matched. The Mark 4 is lighter, but the 56mm objective will give you a little more stand time, if you can stand the taller scope setup.

They both have comparable glass, IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would actually love a FFP scope but I am on somewhat of a budget so I will have to settle for 2FP at the moment. I know the FFP scopes are quite a bit higher in price. Correct me if I'm wrong but hey also take all the guess work and calculations out and make the MOA/MILS proportionate to my target since the reticle matches the magnification correct? </div></div>
That is correct, but useless unless you also have turrets that match the reticle. The advantage goes to Leopold here as well, as their 6.5-20 mk4 is available with matching m5 turrets and is ffp. I believe it is the same price or less than you'll pay for a sfp nightforce (around $1600)

just sold my leupold mark 4 ert 8.5-25x50.....bought a nxs 8-32x56...why? the reticle.... MOAR ... 30 MOA built in the reticle.... that much less knob turning....

also for how rugged the nighforce is

Thanks for all of the input. I guess based on the opinions here, it comes down to personal preference. Doesn't sound like I can really go wrong with either scope.

I have always been a Leupold fan but just hearing all the rave about the NF got me curious...especially the reticle options. What I like about the NF is the fact that they offer a reticle that matches turrets.

Comparing the ER/T and the NXS in the same mag range I would take the ER/T hands down.

didn't read the rest of the posts..... mark4 is very good glass given that you are you aren't shooting in low light conditions...like hunting. I had the 4.5x14x50 mark4 and I loved it for shooting during the daytime, but at the same time I hunt with my rifle scopes. Sold my Mark4 and now have a vortex and 3 night force scopes as they will do what ever I need to as far as hunting or lr shooting

Of the two choices given, NF all the way. Owning a SFP NF, however, I might also suggest looking at the Bushnell 3.5-21x50 FFP (either the HDMR or the newer version if you can find it). I would also suggest the SWFA SS 5-20 (which I also have and like), but SWFA is not on my good list as I one of the legion waiting on the 1-6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always been a Leupold fan but just hearing all the rave about the NF got me curious...especially the reticle options. What I like about the NF is the fact that they offer a reticle that matches turrets. </div></div>
Leupold offers matching turrets in the m5 series. M5+TMR reticle = badass

Yes, but isn't the M5 in mils? I'm an MOA guy...

I'll swear up and down for NXS and I know a swat sniper who would swear by Leupold. Pick one and you won't regret it. Best I can say is get behind both of them if possible. If not, like said above, flip a coin.

I was just asking myself and good folks here the same question last month. I still Leupold, but went Nightforce and liked it so much, now have two 5.5-22's. Both seem solid scopes from great companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, but isn't the M5 in mils? I'm an MOA guy... </div></div>

Why? Our eyes don't have reticles. We can't "see" MOA or mRad. Basically your reticle is a ruler as your dope is on a chart. If you can use one, you can use the other. No reason to limit yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, but isn't the M5 in mils? I'm an MOA guy... </div></div>
So was i before my Leupold. Its the same math, just different numbers. Isn't this stuff a hobby and about learning different things? It would behoove you to learn mils. And should you ever go to sell an MOA scope, guaranteed the first post will be "man if it was in mils if buy it right now".

Yes, I agree but the math, for me, is easier in MOA. However, I plan on learning MILS. Thanks for the input.

ive had a bunch of leupolds in the past and had no issues with them... but most of the guys at my station said give NF a try... just ordered my first NXS 5.5-22x56, so im excited to try it!

How do you illuminate the reticle in the NF NXS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree but the math, for me, is easier in MOA. However, I plan on learning MILS. Thanks for the input. </div></div>

Math? What math? You simply read a ruler (the reticle) and read a dope card. No math to it
wink.gif

Read the stickies for "what's a mil dot?" Also the M5 FFP TMR will be the easiest means system to use in your budget---while NF makes great scopes, lack of FFP in the price range really hurts the value. Don't be stubborn, learn the system and you'll thank me later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you illuminate the reticle in the NF NXS? </div></div>

Magic Fairy Dust.... Come on Nate!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree but the math, for me, is easier in MOA. However, I plan on learning MILS. Thanks for the input. </div></div>

Math? What math? You simply read a ruler (the reticle) and read a dope card. No math to it
wink.gif

Read the stickies for "what's a mil dot?" Also the M5 FFP TMR will be the easiest means system to use in your budget---while NF makes great scopes, lack of FFP in the price range really hurts the value. Don't be stubborn, learn the system and you'll thank me later. </div></div>

Math as in 3.6" at 100 yards = 1 mil and 1 moa = 1.047" at 100. And 3.6x10=36" per mil at 1k. Gosh, get a clue.

I'm really just joking. The op is a good friend from since the 4th grade. Just busting his balls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree but the math, for me, is easier in MOA. However, I plan on learning MILS. Thanks for the input. </div></div>

wink.gif

Read the stickies for "what's a mil dot?" Also the M5 FFP TMR will be the easiest means system to use in your budget---while NF makes great scopes, lack of FFP in the price range really hurts the value. Don't be stubborn, learn the system and you'll thank me later. </div></div>

Math as in 3.6" at 100 yards = 1 mil and 1 moa = 1.047" at 100. And 3.6x10=36" per mil at 1k. Gosh, get a clue. </div></div>

You may be joking, but there are people that get hung up on this crap. I don't know why, but you try to teach them and they get all mad and offended like you're somehow lying to them or something. People think they need to somehow convert something from MOA or mRad in their scope to inches, then back to MOA or mRad for some reason. They can't figure out "the target measures 2.2 mRad, slide their mil-dot master or plug in the measurement in the mil realtion formula or whatever they think is easiest and crank their mRad knob to whatever their dope chart says. They get hung up on "math" when the reality is they don't need to do any. And you also see lots of guys that would rather "guess" how many inches they miss by so they can plug it into mRad or MOA so they can dial their scope when their reticle is a rule. They don't understand if it measures .5 mRad low or left, hold up .5 or dial .5 in. They get hung up on knowing how far they miss in inches when that is completely irrelevant.

I understand with todays technology, there is really no "math" involved. I'm just the kind of person who likes to learn about it and understand the science behind it. I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Nothing said will be overlooked. I take all advice and comments into consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300shorty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I agree but the math, for me, is easier in MOA. However, I plan on learning MILS. Thanks for the input. </div></div>

wink.gif

Read the stickies for "what's a mil dot?" Also the M5 FFP TMR will be the easiest means system to use in your budget---while NF makes great scopes, lack of FFP in the price range really hurts the value. Don't be stubborn, learn
the system and you'll thank me later. </div></div>

Math as in 3.6" at 100 yards = 1 mil and 1 moa = 1.047" at 100. And 3.6x10=36" per mil at 1k. Gosh, get a clue. </div></div>

You may be joking, but there are people that get hung up on this crap. I don't know why, but you try to teach them and they get all mad and offended like you're somehow lying to them or something. People think they need to
somehow convert something from MOA or mRad in their scope to inches, then back to MOA or mRad for some reason. They can't figure out "the target measures 2.2 mRad, slide their mil-dot master or plug in the measurement in the mil realtion formula or whatever they think is easiest and crank their mRad knob to whatever their dope chart says. They get hung up on "math" when the reality is they don't need to do any. And you also see lots of guys that would rather "guess" how many inches they miss by so they can plug it into mRad or MOA so they can dial their scope when their reticle is a rule. They don't understand if it measures .5 mRad low or left, hold up .5 or dial .5 in. They get hung up on knowing how far they miss in inches when that is completely
irrelevant. </div></div>

Agreed. A mil is a mil. That's why it is simple. For example I have a NF with mildot reticle but moa turrets. I use my mils as holdover when "quick shooting" hunting situations present themselves but use moa while shooting lr.

The op is a very smart guy. He is just getting into this stuff. Trust me, he'll figure it out.

I told him the key is a good rifle, scope, rings, base and chronograph. He'll have to pick his poison by trial and error as I know I did.

I have 1 Nightforce and several Leupold MK-4's. Love them all. I have heard people say that that Nightforces will take a real beating and still get the job done. I love that thought, however, the truth is for the cost of either of these scopes I am certainly not going to be beating them up. I have a MK-4 that has been on a .308 for thousands of rounds and it still tracks perfectly.

I would say the glass is about equal but if I had to make a call I would say the Leupold is just a tiny bit clearer.

But to me the thing I really love about the Leupold is the reticle. They leave a tiny (but not too tiny) blank opening where the crosshairs normally cross each other. For long range shots this is awesome becuase it doesn't cover the spot on the target you are trying to hit. For me, this really helps me to focus and concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting. I personally feel like this has helped me to become a better shooter.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company. They both make GREAT products. I would say that they both make great optics and mounts. You do get to save a little money when you buy a Leupold and that would allow you to get the M5 turrets. They are worth the money even if you have a save a little longer to get them.

Another added bonus for the Leupold for a hunting rig is the flip up covers. I am not in love with the NF rubber bikini for a hunting set up. It is just one more thing that I have to deal with in the tree stand. You could obviously add the flip up covers to any NF but it is just another $30 you have to add to the cost.

And - Leupold offers its rain kit that is very nice for hunting in poor weather. You can also easily get aluminum screw in caps for your Leupold. On a hunting rig I like this a lot because when I travel by plane to a hunting location I like to keep the optics as protected as possible. I often will remove the optics and put them in my carry-on bag. I just can’t stand the thought of some highly qualified airline worker tossing my optics around as he rushes to get everyone’s stuff on the plane. The quality quick detach mounts that companies are manufacturing today make it easy to dismount and remount your optics if you are willing to use a picitinny rail system on your hunting rifle. I always do because it lets me bed the rail to the rifle. This helps with accuracy and consistency. It is easy to do on any rainy Saturday afternoon.

I hope this is helpful for you. If you have any additional queistions feel free to send me a PM.

V/r
Rob

I had both and the NSX is clearer than the Leupold, I think. I also think the Nightforce has stronger lenses because sometimes when you look at the Leupold the coating starts the wear away. I also prefer the turrets of the Nightforce. I think it is a better grip and better clicks. The only thing I didn't like about the NSX is that when you use the magnification it spins the lens cover if you have Butler creek type covers. It is not a big deal on a bolt gun but mounting it on an AR type can be annoying. I ended just using the bikini covers provided.

Thanks again for all the input.