• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce on a hunting rifle?

Old Coach

Minuteman
Jul 5, 2007
WNC
I have a NXS 3.5x15 on my GAP 308 for target work and am very pleased.
I need a scope for my GAP 300WM hunting rifle.
I am thinking of using the NXS 5.5x22x56. The rifle wouldn't have to be carried very far so weight is not a problem. Rifle weighs 11# without the scope.
I need feedback on the 50 vs 56.
I use the scope to ck the antlers on the big bucks. Bios used to glass fields, but need higher mag. to study the rack.
Rifle is rested on sand bags ft. and rear in elevated box stand
What is the advantage of the 56 if any?
Is the 56 worth the extra $$?
Will it have to be mounted too high to cause a problem?
Thanks
Coach

Re: Nightforce on a hunting rifle?

I've killed several deer with my 5.5x22x50 NF. Its alright playing around. It is miles away from a deer rifle scope in my opinion. But from your style of hunting would probly be great. Never regreted buying my 50mm intead of a 56mm, but that is ones individual choice. krw

I have a Swaro 6X on my Beanland 6.5x47 for my climbing stand rifle, works well out to 400. Also a Leup. 4.5x14 on a 223AI for coyotes.
This will be dedicated box stand rifle for shots 500-800yds.
I think it is called a Beanfield Rifle in the Low Country of SC.

I used to use a 6.5x284 done by APA for hunting in a tower blind late evening. It had a 5.5-22x56 NF on it and it was great. That rig went about 15 pounds but I didn't have to carry it far. What a killer!

Used to hunt around Monroeville,Al. Some long shots across those cotton fields. We had one box stand on a cotton field where you could shoot 600+ left or right.
That late Jan. rut in LA make for some good cool weather hunting.

Coach

Yea. The rut is usually gets going good around Christmas where I hunt near Auburn. you're right about Monroeville. There are a lot of big flat fields around there.

Running a 5.5-22x50 on my 300 RUM Sendero. Appears to be a rather nice fit in my opinion, but then again, this ain't my <200 yard gun either.

Have a NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1 ZS on my GAP .308. Very pleased with dusk performance in counting tines and judging size on those late afternoon bucks across the food plot and down the power line. Just got my new 300 WM build back from GAP. Planning on buying the same scope for it as well.

I have 2 NF scopes on hunting rifles. 5.5-22x56 and an 8-32x56.

Both are very good scopes. I do think the Swarovski's gather light and are better at dusk. I have a couple of them as well.

I have a NXS F1 on my OBR and I use it for hunting.I miss the pop of my Hensoldt but I sure like the LV-5 reticle.Its very quick and easy to use.Just took a little time to get use to the eye piece.

Killed this 160+ incher with a Sako TRG22 and a Nightforce 5-22X50.
16kuys5.jpg

This 150+ incher with the same rifle and scope as above.
29m5bb5.jpg

I think a Nightforce will do just fine.