• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Optical Quality

jwp475

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2005
USA
What is the general feeling about the Optical quality of the NXS scopes? On another forum a posters is claiming that less costly scopes are better opticaly than Nightforce. I can't see it that way, I find that the NXS scopes that I own are preety dam good to my eyes.

What do you guys think?

Re: Nightforce Optical Quality

I think they are pretty good. I haven't owned one in a while, but I liked the ones I used to have.

I've seen this on other forums as well. My two NXS scopes have better glass than Leupold Mark IV or Nikon Tactical, although the Nikon Tactical is close.

I'm sure that there are scopes with better glass out there, but I feel the quality of the optics on the Nightforce are good enough for any tactical situation. The important thing about the Nightforce is the precision adjustments and robust construction. Optic quality is important to a point, but ability to make adjustments that translate to the POI and a scope that does not need to be "babied" are more important in my opinion.

Note that if you go to the bench rest forums, a lot of competitors use Nightforce optics and are winning plenty of competitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm sure that there are scopes with better glass out there, but I feel the quality of the optics on the Nightforce are good enough for any tactical situation. The important thing about the Nightforce is the precision adjustments and robust construction. Optic quality is important to a point, but ability to make adjustments that translate to the POI and a scope that does not need to be "babied" are more important in my opinion.

</div></div>

BINGO! Nightforce glass is very good but it is the internals and adjustments working under hard conditions which is more important. You can have the hubble telescope on your rifle but if you can't get on target then it is no good.

I sold my Mark4 to get one and couldn't be happier, and my Mark4 was nice as well. Oh, this thing is built like a tank, I don't baby it and I don't have to worry about it, which was also a selling point. I wouldn't hesitate to make the move again. My only regret is that I didn't make the move sooner.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadJamesR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

BINGO! Nightforce glass is very good but it is the internals and adjustments working under hard conditions which is more important. You can have the hubble telescope on your rifle but if you can't get on target then it is no good. </div></div>

+1

An example of what is claimed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topic is "optical clarity". For a cost of ~$800, I believe the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm will equal the optical clarity in the $1400 and higher-cost comparable model Nightforce glass. This is the clearest example I have to share at this time. </div></div>

That may very well be.... Sightron has very good glass, but Sightron isnt in the same ballpark when precision repeatbility, durability, reticle choices, and adjustment types are the players.

7mmRM, have you ran any of the higher end Sightron's? No flame intended, I've never ran one so I don't have an opinion either way....The only sightron I've ever seen (in person) was their lowest end model.

I have a S1 on a 22LR at this time. Ive had a couple of the S2s 4-16s. They were good varmint rifle scopes. The 1/8MOA adjustments were the deal killer.

A good bud had a S3 6-24x50 SF, 30mm, bla bla bla for a while. It too was a pretty nice scope. IMO, it is an excellent paper punching & varminting scope. Actually I liked it better than the VX3 LR 8.5-25x50 Fine Duplex, I had at the time.

After using his, would I buy one? Maybe. For a dedicated square range paper puncher/varmint rifle- Yes. For a rifle Im gonna beat the fuck out of- No.

Thanks for the post. Like I said, the only ones I've seen were S1's.

When it comes to reticle and knob choices, the Sightron SIII are indeed limited. I do not agree that the precision or repeatability are not up to par with the NXS, there is no data to support that assertion. NXS are well proven, but the SIII LR models have been revised to a point I would stack them up to about anything.

Optically, the SIII LR doesn't equal the optical performance of the NXS. it exceeds it, easily. It's the best non-European optics I've looked through since I've been doing this. Such is my opinion. Spend time behind both together and see for yourself.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optically, the SIII LR doesn't equal the optical performance of the NXS. it exceeds it, easily. It's the best non-European optics I've looked through since I've been doing this. Such is my opinion. Spend time behind both together and see for yourself.</div></div>

I totally agree. The Sightron SIII scopes has excellent precision repeatability. I have never heard of anyone who owns one say any different. They are know for it. The reviews done on them have shown it.

With a more aggressive game plan to expand their SIII line to feature more reticle choices they could seriously compete with the NXS scopes for hundreds less.

NightForce has done a very good job with reticle choices, listing to the tactical and bench rest shooters and marketing their scopes. The government contracts have sealed the deal in most shooters minds.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I guess we can agree to disagree.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

7mmRM, we've both been here about 5 years and you're a sport
grin.gif

Well handled, thank you.

Comparing a 3.5X15 NXS to a 4X16 S&B side by side, my eyes could see little difference between the two. That leaves a small window for the S111 to fit into or is it better than the S&B also?

The NSX's that I have would fit between the quality of the Mark 4 on the low end and S&B on the high end. I have had no problems with either of mine. Glass is clear, the illumination works well, and they track very well. You get what you pay for and these scopes are worth the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Comparing a 3.5X15 NXS to a 4X16 S&B side by side, my eyes could see little difference between the two. That leaves a small window for the S111 to fit into or is it better than the S&B also?</div></div>

Many scopes are very clear up to 16x. The proof is in the pudding when get over 20x.

The SIII 6-24x50 is just as clear and bright on 24x as 10x.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Comparing a 3.5X15 NXS to a 4X16 S&B side by side, my eyes could see little difference between the two. That leaves a small window for the S111 to fit into or is it better than the S&B also?</div></div>

Many scopes are very clear up to 16x. The proof is in the pudding when get over 20x.

The SIII 6-24x50 is just as clear and bright on 24x as 10x.

GC
</div></div>

I just sold a 5.5X22 NXS that I owned for serveral years and it compared favorable to my 5X25 S&B, so IME the Nightforce has excellent optics above 20 power as well.

Two points - glass and durability.

Glass - it is easier than ever to get good quality glass, in fact, my $200 Konus spotting scope has optics that on 20x rival many $1000 units. The Nightforces I have seen have as good or better glass than the S&B's and USO's I have seen. Leupold's glass is nearly as good in most high-end models. In my mind, optical quality is not the largest issue anymore. I have no doubt that there are plenty of $500 scopes out there that have glass that is 90% as "good" as Nightforce on mid power settings.

Durability - This is a claim that is much more difficult to live up to. Look at what survives and start from there. Truly the best part about the NXS line is how they are built. Leupold's only comparable scope in this category is the fixed-power Mark 4 in 10x or 16x. Period. I don't think there is a scope out there that is less expensive and just as durable.

So, combine best-in-class durability with top-rated optical quality, and that explains the amount of sales that Nightforce gets even though they are just starting to implement true "tactical" features into their scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When it comes to reticle and knob choices, the Sightron SIII are indeed limited. I do not agree that the precision or repeatability are not up to par with the NXS, there is no data to support that assertion. NXS are well proven, but the SIII LR models have been revised to a point I would stack them up to about anything.

Optically, the SIII LR doesn't equal the optical performance of the NXS. it exceeds it, easily. It's the best non-European optics I've looked through since I've been doing this. Such is my opinion. Spend time behind both together and see for yourself. </div></div>

That's really quite a statement from someone who can actually sit around and spend a lot of time comparing not only on the range but putting multiple examples side by side.

More and more folks are jumping on the Sightron bandwagon, too.

Maybe someone should put a 7.62x39 round through the side of a Sightron and see if it keeps working
wink.gif

For those that haven't seen it:

Bullethole-scope.gif

"The hole you see in the well-used Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS scope at right was made by an enemy 7.62x39 round fired at a U.S. soldier. The bullet completely penetrated the erector tube - the heart of the scope's optical system. We’re happy to report that the
soldier was not injured, and the only casualty is the scope's magnification ring, frozen on 15x. Its focus, tracking, and all other functions work just fine. It holds point of aim like new. The soldier wrapped the scope in duct tape to keep out sand and dirt, and used it without a problem for the next
three days, completing his mission. We receive many stories like this. Because Nightforce riflescopes are used in active theatres by most of the elite special forces worldwide, they are subjected to - and survive - the most brutal conditions imaginable. We won't say they're bulletproof. There is at least one soldier, however, who would argue otherwise."

I went out today with my new Nightforce F1 to check out the elevation and reticle subtension. Reticle subtended perfectly. The elevation was dead on also. Nightforce put together a great package in the F1. Can't wait to run it at the Cup.

Is that covered under warranty?

The bullet hit in just the right place. I am sure there have been many NF scopes Casualties of War. Those you don't hear about. There is no doubt NF scopes are well made but so are other scopes that cost more & less.

What the troops are using is not something I consider when buying optics or firearms. Like I said government contracts seals the deal for many.

GC

owning both a mk4 and nxs, it's hands down the nxs, thinking of selling the mk4 to fund another nxs

NF makes VERY good scopes. Like stated by others, optical quality is not what sets them apart. There are alot of scopes out there with better glass that I wouldn't put on a rifle I owned. Repeatability/durability should far outwiegh glass quality in one's decision making.

Now, to the folks that say NF has superior glass to the Mark 4s, I just can't see it. I may be nuts, but I think Leupy has 'em beat - glass wise. Reticle choices (w/matching knobs) and a wider power range is where NF has the big advantage, IMHO.

I own/use both Mark 4s and NF scopes. I have sold several NF scopes over the years, but I have yet to get rid of a Mark 4. Crazy isn't it?

While I agree that Sightrons are not built as robustly as NXS line. The SIII's are non the less an excellent optic. Mine has shown to hold up better the my Mk4. Put simply Nightforce offers an excellent scope that will take damn near anything you can throw at it. While Sightron offers a scope with excellent glass and solid internals however it is not built to handle the abuse a NXS is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe someone should put a 7.62x39 round through the side of a Sightron and see if it keeps working
wink.gif

For those that haven't seen it:

Bullethole-scope.gif

"The hole you see in the well-used Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS scope at right was made by an enemy 7.62x39 round fired at a U.S. soldier. The bullet completely penetrated the erector tube - the heart of the scope's optical system. We’re happy to report that the
soldier was not injured, and the only casualty is the scope's magnification ring, frozen on 15x. Its focus, tracking, and all other functions work just fine. It holds point of aim like new. The soldier wrapped the scope in duct tape to keep out sand and dirt, and used it without a problem for the next
three days, completing his mission. We receive many stories like this. Because Nightforce riflescopes are used in active theatres by most of the elite special forces worldwide, they are subjected to - and survive - the most brutal conditions imaginable. We won't say they're bulletproof. There is at least one soldier, however, who would argue otherwise."

I went out today with my new Nightforce F1 to check out the elevation and reticle subtension. Reticle subtended perfectly. The elevation was dead on also. Nightforce put together a great package in the F1. Can't wait to run it at the Cup. </div></div>

Another view

NightforceAK-47.jpg

I actualy looked through this scope at the 06 shot show in Vegas

I am a Nightforce bigot, but think the glass is good, not great, for the price. the overall durability and repeatability of the turrets is more important to me than the best glass. I figure I get 95% of the best glass for half the price with all other features being equal. That is a good trade-off in my book. That said, I am very intrigued by the March scopes. Currently they have a 2.5-25 MOA/MOA tactical scope....I'm waiting for the mil/mil version that is supposed to be out later this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Optically, the SIII LR doesn't equal the optical performance of the NXS. it exceeds it, easily. It's the best non-European optics I've looked through since I've been doing this. Such is my opinion. Spend time behind both together and see for yourself.</div></div>

I totally agree. The Sightron SIII scopes has excellent precision repeatability. I have never heard of anyone who owns one say any different. They are know for it. The reviews done on them have shown it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">With a more aggressive game plan to expand their SIII line to feature more reticle choices they could seriously compete with the NXS scopes for hundreds less. </span>NightForce has done a very good job with reticle choices, listing to the tactical and bench rest shooters and marketing their scopes. The government contracts have sealed the deal in most shooters minds.

GC

</div></div>

Re the highlighted portion, an aggressive game plan with more reticle choices would also mean an increase in price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF makes VERY good scopes. Like stated by others, optical quality is not what sets them apart. There are alot of scopes out there with better glass that I wouldn't put on a rifle I owned. Repeatability/durability should far outwiegh glass quality in one's decision making.

Now, to the folks that say NF has superior glass to the Mark 4s, I just can't see it. I may be nuts, but I think Leupy has 'em beat - glass wise. Reticle choices (w/matching knobs) and a wider power range is where NF has the big advantage, IMHO.

I own/use both Mark 4s and NF scopes. I have sold several NF scopes over the years, but I have yet to get rid of a Mark 4. Crazy isn't it? </div></div>
matchking said:
t

I agree with matchking on this. I have two Leupld MK4s and a NF 5.5-22x. At lower magnification the differences are small. When comparing side by side at higher mag, the Leupold glass has better clarity and color while the NF gets hazy at 18-22x zoom. I was somewhat surprised about the dull haziness color since I have the 56mm objectice model.

One other thing I noticed was color fringing along the edges. The Leupold riglescope and pentax spotter both were sharper and cleaner than the NF.

Overall the NF is a good scope. However for my purposes since it will only be used on a bench. Much of the durability will not be needed in my case. For my next scope I will probably get another Leupold.

I have nothing but Nightforce scopes,but that photo of the Nightforce with the bullet hole in it doesnt prove anything,as any scope hit with a bullet right where the Nightforce was will keep working, as there is nothing for the bullet to destroy in that area,so the photo and print is misleading at best.

my nightforces often do double duty as a pry bar or hammer in extreme situations

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my nightforces often do double duty as a pry bar or hammer in extreme situations </div></div>

I was under the understanding that Nightforce used 6061-T6 aluminum and Leupold used 7075-T6 aluminum for housings.

So the two brands appear to have comparable material thickness- which would imply Leupold is twice as strong and harder than Nightforce.

I once had a 50 caliber ammo crate (250 rounds) break loose in a M113 APC traveling over rough terrain, and that came down on my SPR- the ARMS throwlevers were sheared off- the scope wasn't even dented. When the Arms throwlevers were replaced, the scope was re-attached with no loss of zero.

I've had my NF NXS 8-32x56 side by side with my Bender 5-25 a bunch of times, in various lighting and environmental conditions, and had a number of people look through both to try and decide which is better.

We did this at all magnifications the two scopes have in common (8-25).

Personally, I thought the bender was a *little* (I mean a LITTLE), clearer on the outboard edges of the sight picture, but I couldn't detect any difference in the center.

I honestly think the NF is a bit brighter than the Bender, but the bender might have a *tick* better contrast.

Now, I am the ONLY person that thought this. Everybody else always says the NF is sharper/brighter/clearer.

Perhaps I think the bender is better because I paid twice as much for it as the NF?

I find my 5.5-22x56mm also has a bit too much of a fishbowl effect at the lowest mag. Is this because of the higher magnification ratio?

My 4.5-14x50mm and 6.5-20x50mm Leupold Mark IV which have a lower magnification ratio don't have this same issue.