• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes nightforce or schmidt and bender

mjc2564

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Out of the nightforce or the schmidt and bender rifle scope. Which is better for low light and long range accuracy. Anybody have an idea?

Re: nightforce or schmidt and bender

Depends on the features you want. Both work for "low-light" conditions and long range accuracy is dependent more on other equipment than a scope.

thats like comparing a Aston Martin to a Nissan Z370. Sure the Z370 is fast, but its no Aston!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats like comparing a Aston Martin to a Nissan Z370. Sure the Z370 is fast, but its no Aston! </div></div>

WORD!

Why are you only comparing these two brands. If you are looking at the S&B tactical scopes, you could buy 2 NFs for the cost of one S&B. Take a look at the Premier Reticles. About $1k less than the S&B and just a few hundred more than a NF. Plus made in the good-ole US of A. Also, their customer service seems to be top notch.
My only gripe with the PR scopes is that they are a bit heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats like comparing a Aston Martin to a Nissan Z370. Sure the Z370 is fast, but its no Aston! </div></div>

The Nissan is probably a bit more reliable too.

Haven't broken a NF yet. Can't say the same about my S&B.

I know that alot of NF scopes have been used in long range competitions

Perhaps buy the NF scope, you really cant go wrong, plus you get to save some extra $$$ over the S&B

You could put that money towards other things such as reloading gear (if you dont already have this) which will allow you to get those handloads going, which when it comes to long range accuracy, is what you want to be shooting.

S&B hands down better for low light. But if you are not hunting with it do you really need low light.

I want to mount it on my Lazzeroni .308 Warbird for long range hunting applications. I have a Ziess conquest 4.5-14x44. I feel that the upper range of magnification isnt worthy of a long distance rifle already shooting 1/2" group or less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are you only comparing these two brands. If you are looking at the S&B tactical scopes, you could buy 2 NFs for the cost of one S&B. </div></div>

If you make an apples to apples comparison, the S&B 4-16 PM2 is only about 30% more than a Nightforce 3-15 F1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus made in the good-ole US of A. Also, their customer service seems to be top notch.
</div></div>

Same with the Nightforce F1 and the entire compact line and all are assembled in the USA. NF CS is top notch as well.

I have used multiple scopes from both of these scope companies and find both to be excellent. I went from a Aston to a Nissan and don't feel slighted in any way. The NF F1 is the direct comparison with the S&B as both are FFP. The F1 has great glass but the S&B is a little better but as it's been said before when you're looking at high end glass the differences are slight. Both scopes have great internals and track perfectly in my models which is more important to me than slight differences in glass.

You need to figure out if you want FFP or SFP and also your power range and then go from there but you can't go wrong with either of the companies you are looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Plus made in the good-ole US of A.
</div></div>Not unless we have added some states along the way!

For lowlight considerations I really like the S&B variable power of the lighted reticle vs. the Nightforce which is adjusted and then "pre-set" so to speak. That way as your shooting light changes you can just dial it brighter or less if needed. On the other hand you have quite a bit more elevation adjustment with the NF so depending on rifle, barrel, cartridge, BC, etc. it could be more versitile relative to your "long distance" consideration. Just a couple of differences if it helps.

My NF is the only illuminated scope I have ever owned, I have the illumination set pretty low and it has never been a problem, and I like the whole reticle being lit not just the crosshair, I'm a major fan of of NF scopes, I think they represent a great value, but I'm in the market for FFP scope for my new build, and I'm looking at getting a S&B 5-25 or dare I say after my recent bashing a PR-H 5-25, I want more power than 15, my diabetic eyes demand it.

Any thoughts on the NF NXS 2.5-10 30 for a DMR type rifle and for a REPR and OSR? On my 5.56 rifle I was going to use it for variable distance steel 100-400 (500 if I can get it to reach that far)

From my research it appears to be a good value in the market place. The NF quality also appears to be very good. Am I on the wrong track?

If your looking for better glass than your conquest get the S&B. Night Force (to my eye) is not quite up to the conquest, speaking purely low light. That being said, I also think the Zeiss victory has better glass than my S&B, again speaking about low light ability. If your looking for a long range hunting scope with low light capabilities you might look pretty hard at
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-6-24x56-Victory-Diavari-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P7751.aspx
Might just fit your bill better than the NF and S&B. Also, before anyone bitch's, this is just my opinion and yes I own NF S&B and Hensoldt, witch I think has the same glass as the Victory.

Turk-
I am pretty sure that the Premier scopes are made in the US. At least that is what they claim.

427 Cobra-
Why were you bashing the PR-H? What types of problems did you have with it?

I owned a NF 3-15. I had a problem losing the reticle. I messed with the diopter and the focus and couldn't rectify the problem. My brother noticed the same thing. The reticle seemed too fine. I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue though.

dtac I got in trouble, so I gots to keep my month shut

Dtac, the FFP 3.5-15x50 F1 model has a reticle that you won't lose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turk-
I am pretty sure that the Premier scopes are made in the US. At least that is what they claim.
</div></div>
I believe they no longer claim that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turk-
</div></div>
I believe they no longer claim that! </div></div>
I believe that you are full of shit. Hate to be rude, but your constant trolling of any Premier related thread and spreading of misinformation is more than just rude. You obviously have no clue whatsoever what "made in" means, or manufacturing at all for that matter, let alone the making of Premier scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe that you are full of shit. Hate to be rude, but your constant trolling of any Premier related thread and spreading of misinformation is more than just rude. You obviously have no clue whatsoever what "made in" means, or manufacturing at all for that matter, let alone the making of Premier scopes. </div></div>

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Isn't this a NF or Schmidt Bender thread?

I would go with the Nightforce, it has good reputation in the field of harsh use.

David, maybe it's pure coincidence that his last name also starts w/ a "S", but the more you run your mouth on several occasions w/ out any proof to back your vague statements; the more you sound like this guy!
xnvkh1.jpg
Since you were an intern at Premier you should have first hand knowledge of what is made where; so why don't you make it public and let the American Public decide what is really made in the USA? Btw this is what the FTC thinks: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.pdf

If you want to keep running your mouth, take it to pm's; where I have something for you!

I use a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 with no problems. I should say I use it as a tool, I don't baby the thing. It's seen a few good bumps and nasty weather and still works like it should.

I have an S&B 4-16x50 PMII that I will keep forever. If anyone can say the same thing about NF then there are at least two scope brands that meet this standard.

This is a Nightforce and S&B thread, find somewhere else people to fight about Premier!!! This is a good thread about Nightforce vs S&B, let's keep it that way please.

Seriously, it getting pretty ridiculous.

I agree that we shouldn't be fighting about Premier, but when someone is considering S&B and NF, they should also be looking at Hensoldt and Premier.

Lets look at "street" pricing:

Schmidt & Bender 4–16 x 50 PM II- <span style="text-decoration: line-through">$3010</span> $2500ish
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1- $2,290
Premier 3-15- $2000
Hensoldt 4-16x56 Front Focal - $3460

All of these are excellent scopes and are in the same league, so to speak. They are all worth considering. It is my <span style="font-weight: bold">opinion</span> that the Premier offers the best value.

EDIT- It seems like S&B just jumped up in value dept with the post below!

Just an FYI for you guys, we have both MOA and MIL 4-16x50 PMII LP's w/P4F reticles in stock NIB for really good pricing so if anyone is looking for one of these let me know and I will get you squared away!

MOA $2480 shipped
MIL $2530 shipped

100_4045.jpg

We also do have Nightforce in stock as well, just wanted to post up the S&B's as they are at a really good price!

Cheers,

Adam

Oops- I forgot to add US Optics to my little list. I don't think of them because of my juvenile need for instant gratification. I mean, I can hardly wait the three effen days it takes for ups to get to me!

I asked the same question to are local gun shop. He recommended the bushnell elite 6500, 4.5-30x50. Any opinions?

Yes, do not listen to your local gun store if he is going to give you that advice. EVER!!!!

i own 2 s&b 5-25PM11 and would never change , they are an investment for life imho.they are also the glass of choice for our work rifles,anything that can take the abuse a soldier gives is good kit in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazzerhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked the same question to are local gun shop. He recommended the bushnell elite 6500, 4.5-30x50. Any opinions? </div></div>

If you are considering the Bushnell, may I ask if you feel the price of the S&B is a little out of your price range? If so, go with the Nightforce you won't be disappointed. I have had NF and currently have a USO on the way, could afford S&B, but I honestly would never feel like I'm lacking with the Nightforce. It has everything I would need. The others are a lot of extra money for things that are nice but not necessary. I went for the creature comforts of the uso but none of it is necessary. I did just fine with the NF for years.

I use my Nightforce and S&B equally... there are pluses and minuses to every scope out there, however in my opinion NF has the least number of negatives when it's all said and done.

And I don't mean negatives from strictly a scope standpoint, I look at the complete picture, from pricing, to value, Features, on to company support, movement within the scope industry, innovation, etc. Nightforce is the pound for pound champion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turk-
</div></div>
I believe they no longer claim that! </div></div>
I believe that you are full of shit. Hate to be rude, but your constant trolling of any Premier related thread and spreading of misinformation is more than just rude. You obviously have no clue whatsoever what "made in" means, or manufacturing at all for that matter, let alone the making of Premier scopes. </div></div>

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the litter box... Dude, it was already clarified, the PH scopes are made in "Nunya."

As far as Nightforce or S&B, my dollar goes to S&B, the glass is much better from my experience and with the pricetag of a F1 I might as well snag the better glass. The deals Adam has above has me thinking about breaking the bank again!

the price aint the issue at all. I am a performance junky. I like to have no limits to a quality hunting rifle.

Discounting money as a factor, I think that the clear consensus on the hide is that S&B is the better scope. There are of course a few dissenters, Lowlight being one of them.

If you can afford to buy one of these scopes, you can probably afford to by both of them with the intention of either returning or selling the one that doesn't give you wood.

Let us know the outcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazzerhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to mount it on my Lazzeroni .308 Warbird for long range hunting applications. I have a Ziess conquest 4.5-14x44. I feel that the upper range of magnification isnt worthy of a long distance rifle already shooting 1/2" group or less. </div></div>

Perhaps I'm slow, but I just don't get why your current scope is not an excellent choice. Sometimes, I think we get over-obsessed with gear and start making some very expensive decisions for very little benefit. 14x isn't worthy of long-range? What are you hunting, mice? How far do you plan on shooting?

Say a deer, at 900 pluss yards how big is this deer now at 14 power? How many people shooting at that distance have a 14 power or less scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazzerhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say a deer, at 900 pluss yards how big is this deer now at 14 power? How many people shooting at that distance have a 14 power or less scope? </div></div>

Just my opinion, and you're free to be offended, but there are a lot of things I think about someone shooting a deer at 900 plus yards -- none of them good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazzerhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say a deer, at 900 pluss yards how big is this deer now at 14 power? How many people shooting at that distance have a 14 power or less scope? </div></div>

Just my opinion, and you're free to be offended, but there are a lot of things I think about someone shooting a deer at 900 plus yards -- none of them good. </div></div>

I was going to say negligent, immoral and ignorant; but I like the way Cartman said it better.

I am glad to see this sentiment expressed here. When hunting, one should aim for the most humane kill possible, not the one that comes with the biggest bragging rights. I would venture to guess that most of the members of the hide can't hit a 20x20 target at 900 yrds cold bore, much less place the bullet in area the size of the quick kill zone on a deer.

Humaine kill is the goal to accomplish this range is irrealevant, skill and ability is the key

The gong is 12" in diameter

DSC00858.jpg