• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes nightforce or uso?

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
Quick question fellas....I need a no b.s. assesment without ruffling any feathers.
I have finally saved up enough money for some great optics.My question is which between the two i have mentioned(nxs,sn3)has the best turrets iknow i can get the sn3 just about any way i want it.But nxs has some rugged quality going for it also.ok,ok.i will stop beating around the bush which between the two has better audible and tactile clicks..Like i said i dont want to ruffle any feathers so if you dont want to awnser on the open forum pm me............thanks 467

Re: nightforce or uso?

If you're prone to having a continuous nagging thought "I should have....."

Go with the USO. But it is all personal.

In the end, just pick one and let it roll. They both are quality optics, but my NXS may go for sale for a USO. (NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R1 moa/moa)

if that helps.

Best advice - hit the next Norcal or CA shooting event. Great group of shooters who will let you give em a try.

Both scopes are quality. I own both, which is better is subjective to what you expect out of the scope for YOU.

I prefer USO, YMMV.

Pop Corn- check
Beer Check
Boxing gloves check

I love Night Force. IMO they are the best out there. Most easyest to use, best CS there is.

Unless you're talking F1-NXS, its all a matter of SFP v FFP.
Try to get your peepers on oboth and drop your money where you like. They're both reliable products.

I don't believe there is a best out there. It all comes down to an individuals needs and expectations. When comparing top of the line optics "best" becomes very subjective. One may have slightly better glass and yet another may have more positive clicks. Unless you were to build the exact same rifle 5 different times and install the top 5 scopes and be able to shoot all 5 in every situation you may encounter to actually compare them side by side you are really asking someone to make a decision for you. They all have their pros and cons but ask yourself what you need out of a scope and are you buying for that need or buying because someone said its the best?

I have had a bad experience with NF, I found their CS average and had trouble focusing the reticle and target at the same time. Hundreds have been sold since and are still being used everyday. I just chose to look elsewhere.

Schmidt&Bender has excellent glass, is a bit pricey and has an outstanding reputation to back it up.

I finally settled on a couple of USO's and have not been disappointed in the least. Again, it was the scope that had everything I was looking for in an optic. Their CS is nothing short of amazing and they have endless build options to go with it. I would say I am happier with clicks on their turrets than I was with NF's.

There is also Premier and Hensoldt, neither of which I have handled or know enough about to comment on.

You can lose your mind trying to figure this shit out, especially after reading post after post on this site alone. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one, they are all very capable scopes.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go for USO cause you can get exactly what you want...... </div></div>

Roger that..Next week iam going to get the chance to finger a uso(no pun intended). I have played with a nf a few times and like it quite a bit.i just dont want to make a rash decision with at least waying my options between the two.
We all know how hard it is to save money now days.Hell i have been saving for quality optics for a solid year now.In hindsight all the money i have spent on the next best thing,cheap ass scope one after another.I could of bought both of them allready.
The old addage goes buy once cry once.
Anyway fellas thanks for the informative input.

I own both a USO and a Nightforce... I wish I had not bought the Nightforce, But USO did not offer a light reticale in the size and magnification for my AR

USO all the way, The customer service and product is the best I have ever experienced.

BUY USO and be happy

I had a NF... I sold it and bought a USO. Now I'm happy.

The NF I had was a 3.5-15x50, with the NPR1 reticle & zero stop. I thought the optics were great, and the reputation of extreme durability was comforting. The turrets (tactile-wise) were awesome, but I wanted more adjustment per turn. Things I did not like:

-Entire ocular turning for magnification adjustment. I like using BC caps, I don't want to have to take them completely off when I use my scope. So, that was a big -1 for me.
-The reticle was, IMO, too thin for field use. It was great for punching paper, but I found myself wishing for something a little thicker for the field.
-Non-field adjustable illumination. To be honest, I don't know that I've ever really *needed* to even use the damn illum, but I just prefer having the option to choose the intensity should I want to.
-Limited adjustment per turn turrets. Even with the zero stop I just don't like having to crank 3+ revolutions to get to 1000.

That's it. If not for those minor nitpicks I would have been thrilled with the scope.

The USO I got is a 3.2-17x44 Tpal, with EREK. I am absolutely in love with the EREK knob. It's everything the NF was tactile-wise and you get tons of adjustment per turn to boot. The optics are great, and I got to choose my own reticle (MDMOA illum), which I really like. There is honestly nothing about the scope that I don't like to this point. I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. The biggest potential "negative" for the USO is the wait time. Mine ended up being almost double what was quoted when it was all said and done.

Optics wise I never had the two side by side (the NF was out the door before the USO was delivered). My impression was that the USO has a slight edge (from memory), but not a large jump. If the minor nitpicks I had with the NF don't bug you, then it's probably the better bang for the buck. It also *seems* like there are less people who have issues with their NFs than USOs. Although if you do have an issue with your USO, you know it will get taken care of.

This is all assuming you are talking about a SFP NF. If you're looking at the FFP F1, then I would just spend the little extra and get a USO.

If the riflescopes are anything like their spotter, I will stick with a NF. I have yet to see a person who was happy with that thing and after looking through it I know why. Good reticle choices but the absolute worse eye relief I have seen on a scope. The hype was there but the dissapointment outweighed the hype. I have yet to see a USO on a work gun either, I am sure they are out there, have seen lots of Leupolds, NF and S&B.

I am very happy with my NXS, it has very tactile clicks. That being said, I have never used a USO so I can't say which one is better. I do doubt that it is is worth the big price difference.

Go read the Houston scope comparison thread.

I have had and used both. My recommendation would be a NF F1. They are what my match rifles wear now.

I had 4 USO's... there is a keyword there...

Now all my go to rifles run Night Force...

I drank the Kool-aid, then I got tired of the constant "issues"

I've yet to brake a NF scope.

not to thread jack but why is it that everyone is selling their USOs? Just curious

it is a trend, keep watching.... it will come full circle.

I have had them all but the Hensoldt. I'm now going back to USO. Eventually people will figure it out.

Throw a NF down a hill.
Have a horse roll on it then step on it. It ain't pretty.
They all break, my money is on USO to last longer.

YMMV

well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else, i was just wondering why?

I have a NF 5.5 - 22 x 50 and I like it a lot, my USO 5-25 should be here any day now. I'll have both at the same time so I can give a comparison then. I like my NF a lot but it got bumped to my .204 and the USO will go on my 6mm. I managed to take advantage of the year end sale they offered and saved a chunk so we'll see when it gets here.

Remember that either way you're always more like to hear from unhappy customers than happy ones. The happy ones are out shooting, the unhappy ones are here bitching, that's just the way it goes..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else, i was just wondering why? </div></div>

My guess... stepping down in cost and pocketing the difference. Figuring they can settle for the NF.

I'm not saying NF is bad. I liked the 4 I had. But as I grow older and tend to stumble fall and make mistakes. The USO is gonna take it better...
Not to mention that thing called Customer Service. This is the nail that sealed the coffin for me. USO is only a call away to talk to a real person that knows wtf is going on and a week turn around, should there be an issue. I havn't had an issue with the 3 USO's I have had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else, i was just wondering why? </div></div>

My guess... stepping down in cost and pocketing the difference. Figuring they can settle for the NF.

I'm not saying NF is bad. I liked the 4 I had. But as I grow older and tend to stumble fall and make mistakes. The USO is gonna take it better...
Not to mention that thing called Customer Service. This is the nail that sealed the coffin for me. USO is only a call away to talk to a real person that knows wtf is going on and a week turn around, should there be an issue. I havn't had an issue with the 3 USO's I have had. </div></div>

Your first comment couldn't be further from the truth. In this game the cost for great gear really doesn't come into play for a lot of people. I stepped UP to a NF after my $3800 USO, had paralax issues, wandering zero issues, and elevation knob issues.... there were always issues.
I don't have these "issues" with NightForce. I make a call to Idaho and a person is there, ready and willing to rectify the situation.

Bad guess. Atleast for my reason.

Last match i was at, 2 guys, both members here had "issues" with the USO's that topped the rifles they were shooting.

BUT, your right. They have no problem fixing the problems. Once you send the scope back a time or 2, they work pretty well. I don't like being the testing department for a company....

FWIW, it is pretty rare that you ever hear a problem with a NF scope. But yet, there seems to be a weekly thread about USOs having some kind of odd problem. The dust in the scope body was a funny one. I am sorry, but if I am going to spend close to 3K on a scope, I do not want to hit it with a mallet/phone book or anything else to get the dust out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else, i was just wondering why? </div></div>

Not to mention that thing called Customer Service. This is the nail that sealed the coffin for me. USO is only a call away to talk to a real person that knows wtf is going on and a week turn around, should there be an issue. I havn't had an issue with the 3 USO's I have had. </div></div>

Your first comment couldn't be further from the truth. In this game the cost for great gear really doesn't come into play for a lot of people. I stepped UP to a NF after my $3800 USO, had paralax issues, wandering zero issues, and elevation knob issues.... there were always issues.
I don't have these "issues" with NightForce. I make a call to Idaho and a person is there, ready and willing to rectify the situation.
</div></div>

+100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my USO 5-25 should be here any day now. </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">WTF?!?! are you referring to a PR 5-25 or a USO that don't exist?</span>

does that count as going "full retard"?

My Nightforce has never given me any problems period. On the other hand though, I really want try a USO. I don't know if it's just a "fad" as someone said earlier. But it would be hard for me to let something go that has never given me any problems just to try something else and hope I like it. That being said, my vote goes to Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my USO 5-25 should be here any day now. </div></div>

WTF?!?! are you referring to a PR 5-25 or a USO that don't exist? </div></div>

We've got 5 - 25's.

Cheers,

Doc

On the discussion of Issues......

I have a F-1 that had a zero-stop that was DOA.

It is mechanical, therefore it will fail USO, NF, PH, SB etc (matters little).

Find what works for you......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else</div></div>

Not this one... Matter of fact, if someone is wanting to get rid of their POS USO 3.2-17 mil/mil scope for a NF, I'll trade it for a fairly new NF 5-22x mil turrets w/ MLR reticle!

why on earth would you want to do that? lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, it is pretty rare that you ever hear a problem with a NF scope. But yet, there seems to be a weekly thread about USOs having some kind of odd problem. The dust in the scope body was a funny one. I am sorry, but if I am going to spend close to 3K on a scope, I do not want to hit it with a mallet/phone book or anything else to get the dust out. </div></div>

Perhaps there are a lot more USO's out there, so more of a chance of hearing about one breaking.

My situation is similar to the OP, bought a few lower-end scopes and never worked out well. With my first LR bolt rifle, I saved up and dressed a NF on her. All I can say is that I'm very happy with my NF. I only drill paper, all I need is clear lense, rugged body, zerostop, and same reticle w/ turret. There are more features to be selected on USO, but I'd probably end up not using them in majority of times, even the FFP is a waste on me for now. So the NF suits me very well, and able to pocket the price delta for some accessories for the rifle.

I have looked through the USOs, and they are very nice (they have gotta be), when I have accumulated enough experiences to figure out exactly what I need and don't need on a scope, I will purchase a USO.

With that said, I think the best scope is what suits "YOU". Know what you need on a scope, don't spend money on something you "want" but only used ones a blue moon.

Just my two cents
smile.gif

Dyl..

send me all your "shitty" USO's I will take them all and dispose of them for you. I will send you a Barska Swat in return.

Had a uso 5-25, traded it for two 22x nightforces, traded them for one S&B 5-25. Going to try the Hensoldt next, but I'm keeping the S&B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well the general consensus in this thread is that people for the most part are getting rid of ther USOs and going to NF or something else</div></div>

Not this one... Matter of fact, if someone is wanting to get rid of their POS USO 3.2-17 mil/mil scope for a NF, I'll trade it for a fairly new NF 5-22x mil turrets w/ MLR reticle! </div></div>

Same here (only MOA/MOA)! I can't say enough good about USO and my SN3. The NF 5-22 is a great scope, but after you get used to FFP and the EREK, it's hard to like anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, it is pretty rare that you ever hear a problem with a NF scope. But yet, there seems to be a weekly thread about USOs having some kind of odd problem. The dust in the scope body was a funny one. I am sorry, but if I am going to spend close to 3K on a scope, I do not want to hit it with a mallet/phone book or anything else to get the dust out. </div></div>

Perhaps there are a lot more USO's out there, so more of a chance of hearing about one breaking. </div></div>

NF outsells USO with ease.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocksig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my USO 5-25 should be here any day now. </div></div>

WTF?!?! are you referring to a PR 5-25 or a USO that don't exist? </div></div>

We've got 5 - 25's.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Guess I never looked that far, my mistake! Damn economy!!!!