• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes nightforce question,50 or 56?

bt4lsu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I will be ordering a 3.5x15 NXS MLR with zero stop in the next few weeks and needed some input on which objective to get.It will go on a m700 5r to be used for hunting and paper. Also, would the 56 have enough clearance with seekins 20 moa base and medium rings? Thanks.

Re: nightforce question,50 or 56?

Go with the 50, I have a 56 and honestly can't tell the difference between the two. That said the 50 will be easier to mount.

50mm with the 3.5-15 but if you were going 5.5-22 I would say 56mm.

I have both and found that the only difference is that the 56mm is better in the at dawn and dusk.

If you want to extend your hunting time, the 56 would be the one to go with.

The 56 lets a little bit more light in, but the difference between them is pretty small.

If you have the room why not go with the 56. I have a 5.5x22x56 myself and I am very happy with it to say the least.

You can use most mfr's low rings with the 56 also. 3 mm is only 0.118".

So the 56 will work with the medium seekins?
Every dime I have is going on the scope and I
Already have the rings, that's the reason for the question.
I am starting to like the idea of the 56 if there are no negatives.

I have 56 mm on my 5.5-22, and 3.5-15. No questions I love it. Mounting was not too difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can use most mfr's low rings with the 56 also. 3 mm is only 0.118". </div></div>

Good to know. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bt4lsu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the 56 will work with the medium seekins?
Every dime I have is going on the scope and I
Already have the rings, that's the reason for the question.
I am starting to like the idea of the 56 if there are no negatives. </div></div>

Medium 30mm Seekins rings are 0.87" from rail to center. Medium Badgers are 0.885". With medium Badgers and a 50mm NXS objective, I clear the barrel by ~ 1/4" So even with a 56, I still have about 1/8" of clearance. This of course can vary depending on the height of your rail. Something worth mentioning, I use the same med rings on a Rem 700 with a 56mm NXS and get almost the same 1/4" clearance. If you are still unsure, use this equation: [rail height + ring height to center] - [objective bell x 0.5]. A value greater than zero will clear the barrel.

bt4lsu,

That Seekins base you are talking about; is it 0.29" high? I referenced it from their website, and if it is, then we are looking at the following calculation (I converted inches to mm).

[7.36mm + 22mm] - [65mm x 0.5] = -3.14mm

So with that base, you are coming up short by about 3mm with a 56. You might need to go the next height. Sorry about the confusion, but I didn't realize their rail was so low profile. Like I originally said, the limiting factor is the base.

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably just go with the 50. I really don't want to have to go to high rings.

Just keep in mind that even with the 50, you are cutting it really close with that base. Confirm with Seekins before you order their base and rings. I don't have anything Seekins, but their stuff seems to run on the low side. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of an issue.

I have a VXIII 50, that I robbed off of another gun,on it now and it is perfect. That is why I was so confused on earlier post. Looking at it, I did not think the 56 would fit. If my dumb a$$ would have just went and measured it the problem would have been solved. Again, thanks for the help and for putting up with a new guy trying to Make the right choices.

no problem. Just always make sure to know the height of your base. Rings usually need not be so high. Low rings will work for my bases but not for the seekins.

You can't go wrong with either. I have a NF x50 with Seekings med rings and it fits great. I chose a 50 so I could stay as low as possible.

I chose the 50 because they don't make any smaller in the mag range I wanted. Personally I prefer no larger than 42-44mm if available.

5.5-22 x 56mm on my 5R here with NF low (.886) rings on a badger 20 moa mount. Couldn't be happier. Plenty of clearance between bbl and scope obj.

Semper Fi
Ryan

Here's my 5.5-22x56mm on my Colt with a NightForce UniMount Extra High 1.375 rings to help visualize the clearance.

Click twice to see Full Size