• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce question for competitive shooters

stilts75

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Fremont, CA
Good afternoon,
I'm looking at a couple Nightforce scope options and Im seeking input from you "competitive shooters" out there. I would like to upgrade the glass on my 260 and my goal is to get my skills to the point that I can soon compete. I currently have a 5.5-24 VXiii w/ target turrets on the rifle now. I'm pretty sure I want a NF scope. The question is what is better suited? The FFP F1 or the SFP with 22 power on the high end. I would love the FFP but I'm not sure a 15 power is adequate. Realistically, 1000-1200m will be my limit. Also what reticle the best balance for ranging and target acquisition? Budget is 2K-ish Thanks in advance.

What are you shooting at? Most paper targets used in matches have aiming blacks large enough that lower-powered scopes can work. I use the NXS 5.5-22 for midrange (600 yard) F-class here in GA, where on some days I can't use the full 22x due to mirage. If you're shooting paper my guess is the 15x would be fine - you may even shoot better with it than higher magnification. All else being equal, I'd spend money on better glass than more magnification.

Thanks gents,
The range has and I'll shoot both paper and steel. Is there a preferred or more popular reticle used for ranging at these distances? My VXiii is fine cross hair so this is also foreign to me.

No, anything calibrated will work. Some will tell you mil due to there being true MOA and shooters MOA. Whatever you have, just use it to measure a ruler or yard stick at a known range and see what you get. There is a formula for either and if you get mil or MOA a mildot master will come in handy. I shoot both mil and MOA and both work fine. I find myself using mil lately but its really no big deal if you just use them correctly.

The higher mag will help you on your ranging though. If you would be ranging a lot of targets with your reticle then I think I would lean towards the 5.5-22. You will find that ranging with your reticle will not be easy to get perfect ranges. Might get you close but usually not perfect. And I mean perfect by getting close enough to get good hits. All depends on your target size. I did a few stages on some UKD ranges that were all ranged with reticle and I hit everyone of them from several different positions. Most were within 500 yds in one place and the others were 500-800 but the target size was pretty large which gives you wiggle room. A tall target will help as your range can be off more and you will still get a hit. But going back to the distance, 15X will be plenty for shooting out to 1200 yds in most situations.

Seems like someone has a NF ATACR for sale on here, asking a little under 2200, it would be 5-25 in SFP, (you would range at 25X with it).

Wait, just realized that I'm pushing you towards more scope........but the ATACR (in my opinion) is a better scope than the NXS 5.5-22, and I think it is worth the additional $$.

But budgets must be maintained, and either of the scopes you mentioned could serve you well.

Last edited:
If you want to shoot Tactical matches such as the PRS matches I would suggest the following.

FFP is pretty much a MUST your just handicapping yourself if you go SFP.

Pick a scope in Mils, 99.99% of the people shoot in Mils and all the suggested wind calls passed around are Mil based.

More than 15x is HIGHLY advantegous for longer shots on small targets from stable / prone positions. Think 6" targets at 800 and 1000 yards. Now these are rare but do happen. IMO it is better to have the magnification and just don't dial it if you don't need it than need and not have.

I HATE the fact that the NXS F1 does not have yardages marked on the parallex knob. Those white lines don't mean dick to me. That is a MAJOR factor why I sold mine.

In your price range the Bushnell Elite or Vortex Razor would be the way I would suggest.