• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce question

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I was set to get another NX8 2.5-20 for my 20" barreled 6.5cm. However I would like something a little more compact as long as it's solid.

I looked at Swarovski Z5 and Z6 but see some reports of being knocked out of zero. I enjoy shooting and packing this rifles and I currently have a Leupold VX5HD 2-10 and VX5HD 3-15 that I swap back and forth. I like the size and power of the 2-10, but the 3-15 has turrets and I regularly dial to 950yds. I had a problem with one of my other leupolds and lost faith in the Leupolds. So now I'm looking to change.

How has the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 stood the test of time? It's around 10 years old now I think. So I'm curious how the coatings and glass compare to today's offerings.

I would like to stay in the 3x range for my bottom end if you have anything else I should look at.

A Tt315H was a serious contender. But I would need two. So I can't see spending over $7k right now. I was hoping to upgrade the binoculars for hunting season as well, hence the sub-$2k budget.

Before I have to go be poor somewhere else. I just bought a AXSR 338 LM and 7-35 ATACR.

I still have my NXS and the glass is good, maybe not as crisp as an ATACR, but I’ve never felt I was missing out when using it.

Reactions: deersniper
The atacr is a larger scope, and half a pound heavier. I've had a couple 4-16 ATACR that I sold for various reasons.

I was wanting to stay more compact and smaller. The gen3 razor 1-10 was temping, but I would like exposed turrets.

Reactions: StrayDog
I've had every NF 2.5-10x variant and the 32mm and 42mm are both really good for mid range work. They aren't perfect, but they are good. I'm still torn between buying another NX8 4-32x (the better of the two) and a NXS 2.5-10x42mm for a gun.

Reactions: deersniper
After getting it mounted and playing around I can say the glass is pretty close to my Leupold VX5HD.

Overall it's slightly shorter then my 2-10 Leopold and significantly shorter then my 3-15 VX5HD.

For what I'm using it for it fits the rifle better then the nx8 I ran it on last fall. I do wish it had a capped windage turret, but time will tell if it's going to be a issue.

After getting it mounted and playing around I can say the glass is pretty close to my Leupold VX5HD.

Overall it's slightly shorter then my 2-10 Leopold and significantly shorter then my 3-15 VX5HD.

For what I'm using it for it fits the rifle better then the nx8 I ran it on last fall. I do wish it had a capped windage turret, but time will tell if it's going to be a issue.

Are you saying the glass in the VX5hd is better than the NXS?
I really wish Leupold did the Firedot TMR reticle in the 2-10 or 2-12, with the ZL turret.

I have a soft spot for the VX5/VX6 series scopes but see no reason to get a duplex reticle when a Mil/MOA one does the same thing but with added versatility.

I use the tally lightweight rings/bases so I brought it out with just the bottom half attached and swapped the VX5HD 2-10, VX5HD 3-15 and this nxs compact back and for a while looking at a hillside about 900yds away. Too my eyes the VX5HD had a very slight edge. Without them being side by side I wouldn't be able to tell, but the scope will not limit me at all. And hopefully being a Nightforce it'll hold up to dialing and banging around while hunting a little better then the Leupold.

I have a NF 2.5-10×42, it sits on top of my Rem 700 260 LW rifle. I killed my elk at 430 yards with no problem last year. Mine is in Talley rings also.it has been on there for several years and has given me no trouble.