• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Questions

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
Looking for a little help from folks who have experience with Nightforce scopes.

I am getting into Benchrest shooting and have been shooting in 600 yd matches and plan on continuing at this distance and shooting at further distances. I would also like to shoot in some F/TR matches. I have a lot of experience with Leupold scopes (work, hunting, distance shooting) and trust them but I want a higher power adjustable scope than what they have to offer. I plan on getting a Nightforce BR 12-42 with a NP-2DD riticule.

Two questions
- Will I regret not stepping up to the NXS model? I understand the price difference and am a firm believer of paying once and crying once.

- The NP-2DD reticule appears to be a great reticule for benchrest shooting. Will it cause me issues in F/TR shoots? Again, primary purpose is benchrest. F/TR will be secondary.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hog

Re: Nightforce Questions

For BR shooting and some field tactical you wont notice too much of a difference from the BR to NXS model. The NXS 12-42 only has 5 moa more internal adjustment, which for 1000 BR, you dont need to worry about, but it MIGHT help in FT. Eye relief is a littl emore generous in the NXS, but thats about it. Personal call if you prefer the AO, on the BR model, or the side focus, on teh NXS models, though. I tend to prefer SF so I can adjust on the fly while keeping my eye behind the glass....personal preference though.

As for reticles, the NP-2DD is great for BR, but not so much for FT. If mostly 1000 BR shooting it is a great choice and recommended. I like the NP-R2, great for everything and you can certainly use it in BR, but it isnt the most preferred.

Trevor B.