• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Questions

TH3 BULLET

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Oregon
I am currently in the market to buy a Nightforce scope and I am leaning towards a NXS 5.5-22x50. I have a couple quick questions though that I have searched for but I wasn't able to find an answer. Here they are:

1. Its my understanding that Nightforce scopes do not have distances market on the parallax knob. Why is that? And is there a way to have them custom make a dial with distances on it?

2. Does Nightforce make custom drop turrents? If so, any idea on cost?

I have emailed Nightforce but they haven't gotten back to me now for a couple days so I thought I would give the Hide a try. This scope is going to go on my long range hunting rig so being able to dial to distance for parallax and drop is greatly desired. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Josh

Re: Nightforce Questions

1. Not really necessary, usually before a shot you can adjust the parallax. A number will get you close, but not true.

2. I have seen custom engraved turret caps, but not custom turrets.

Hope that answers your question.

It is my experience with scopes that use numbers for parallax adjustment are not correct anyways, at least not for my perfect vision eyes.

As far as the BDC dials, I think it is a waste of time, and Nightforce probably will also. If your getting into long range hunting, at least from an ethical stand point, you will already know your bullet drop in most if not all conditions, and you will have a ballistics calculator and kestrel in your hands if you don't know your data to the absolute. It is not like you can buy the baddest rifle made, and go killing things at 1200 yards, or even 700 for that matter. Experience is the one thing that frustrates the hell out of people, because it is not in stock anywhere.

There are too many variable to make BDC caps exact.

Nightforce clicks are exact, that and experience are all you need.

1. Its my understanding that Nightforce scopes do not have distances market on the parallax knob. Why is that? And is there a way to have them custom make a dial with distances on it?
<span style="color: #000099"> I have never seen the need for yardage markings on the ten NF scopes I have. The parallax knob is easy to set quickly and precisely. </span>

<span style="color: #000099"> A little studying and you will be able to range with the reticle and make quick adjustments with the elevation turret. This is especially true when equipped with the high speed turrets. Also, the zero stop is a huge asset, IMHO, because you will always be able to find zero quickly and accurately in any conditions</span>

You may also consider looking at their new Velocity Reticle if you want a BDC type hunting reticle.
One thing I am for sure of. NF scopes are tough as nails and work exactly as they are supposed to.

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate the knowledge because I have never actually had a Nightforce scope in my hands. I am a fan of Leupold and have a couple of their 3 to 9 powers in the safe and have had my hands on many Mark 4s. It just seems like making a parallax cap with distances mark would be the fastest way to set parallax but I could be wrong.

And I was talking about the custom turrents that the manufacturer can make for your own ballistics. I believe Leupold offers custom turrents but I want to go with Nightforce due to their reputation of being a rock solid scope.

Anybody have a quick and accurate technique to set parallax on a Nightforce in the field? I prefer it to be as quick as possible because where I hunt there is narrow shooting lanes.

Thanks for your time,
Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate the knowledge because I have never actually had a Nightforce scope in my hands. I am a fan of Leupold and have a couple of their 3 to 9 powers in the safe and have had my hands on many Mark 4s. It just seems like making a parallax cap with distances mark would be the fastest way to set parallax but I could be wrong.

And I was talking about the custom turrents that the manufacturer can make for your own ballistics. I believe Leupold offers custom turrents but I want to go with Nightforce due to their reputation of being a rock solid scope.

Anybody have a quick and accurate technique to set parallax on a Nightforce in the field? I prefer it to be as quick as possible because where I hunt there is narrow shooting lanes.

Thanks for your time,
Josh</div></div>

In the process of using your rifle with the Nightforce mounted, siting in, collecting data etc your going to get it figured out pretty quick. Usually for hunting just adjusting to the clearest site picture and going with it is going to be close enough. If you have always been going off yardage marked parallax you will be closer to perfect parallax using the nightforce by just going with a clear picture.

TH3, tell me to go to hell, BUT, why buy a Jap scope when there's USOptics and others, for example? Not badgering you, just doing a personal consumers study of sorts. I'm concerned those rice eaters are laughing at how stupid we are buying their products while our economy is in the sewer.
p.s. Avoid politics. Just talkn' gun owner economics.

I have only heard good things about the durability and construction of Nightforce scopes. And to tell you the truth, I really havent looked into the USOptics line. What would you suggest for a rough hunter that is out in the woods 2 days out of the week and needs a scope that can take a lifetime of abuse and keep its zero?

And I have learned my lesson, buy once and cry once.. I am tired of re-buying scopes every couple of years, but I am looking to spend under $2000.

Thanks for your time,
Josh

You won't get a USO in that price range.
NF scopes are great scopes. If they weren't, there wouldn't be so many rifles wearing them. My ten span a pretty long period of years. I think the first was from 2002. I have seen nothing to tell me the last one was not as good as the first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am currently in the market to buy a Nightforce scope and I am leaning towards a NXS 5.5-22x50. I have a couple quick questions though that I have searched for but I wasn't able to find an answer. Here they are:

I have emailed Nightforce but they haven't gotten back to me now for a couple days so I thought I would give the Hide a try. This scope is going to go on my long range hunting rig so being able to dial to distance for parallax and drop is greatly desired. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Josh </div></div>

Josh,
your headed in the right direction, nightforce makes a heck of a scope for the $. call me if you have any specific questions you can't find the answers to, i'm always happy to help. to answer your questions

for the parallax, they just don't make them, never have, probably because it can somewhat inaccurate with a numbered parallax

you can get a custom turret made by kenton, that is the route i and a lot of my customers have taken for custom turrets. all you need to do is shoot your rifle and scope, work up your load and order your turret

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you suggest for a rough hunter that is out in the woods 2 days out of the week and needs a scope that can take a lifetime of abuse and keep its zero?
</div></div>

The 2.5-10x32 with a velocity reticle to match your caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hopps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Usually for hunting just adjusting to the clearest site picture and going with it is going to be close enough. If you have always been going off yardage marked parallax you will be closer to perfect parallax using the nightforce by just going with a clear picture.
</div></div>

I cut a strip of adhesive address label, stuck it on the knob, and marked the 100, 200, and 300 yards parallax adjustments.
It works well for getting the clearest sight picture in the field in a hurry.
Numbers on the knob would be nice for quick adjustments, but for a true parallax adjustment they'd just give you a place to start.

007-4.jpg

I have been using and abusing my NF NXS 3.5-15x50 for a year now, and I will tell you that the parallax is the EASIEST to adjust on my NF than ANY OTHER SCOPE I OWN (NF being the top of my personal line of optics). I adjust for clear picture, use range finder for yardage, dial my knobs, trigger control and sound marksmanship allow me to drill targets to 600ish yards (shooting 6" plates 100% of the time for first round hits).

I bought my NF because of quality and budget. IF I could have afforded a bit more in my optics budget, I would have gone 100% American. My understanding is that the scopes are assembled in Rathdrum, ID. That is about as close to being all American as I can afford right now.

I talked Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge about optics. He is more knowledgeable than most people I know about shooting, I know him to be an honest man that has been there and done that, and that I can take his word without hesitation. He runs Nightforce, he sells Nightforce, he abuses Nightforce, and he told me that Nightforce was the scope mfg I needed to buy (based on my uses: Hunting, budget, takes abuse, holds zero, tough as nails, best customer service anywhere should I need it). I listened, and glad I did.

That all said, next scope I am going to buy is from US Optics (board sponsor, *wink, wink*). Likely it will be the SN-17, unless I can find a screaming deal on a used. I typically shoot at 16-18x on my rifle, so this *should* not hinder me. It is a precision rifle, but may be used for varmint hunting at distance.

You will NOT be disappointed with a NF purchase. Best optic for the money. (IMHO, dont shoot me USO owners!)

USO's start at $1000

Shoot4fun: Quality of neither product was disparaged. They are both superior products. One is made on foreign land, the other on native soil. My only issue is funding of domestic versus foreign markets.

Jay, of course he's headed in the right direction. You sell Nightforce!

Look guys. Here's the pink elephant in the room. We shooters are way, way patriotic. We are MIL/LE, etc. We have suffered and died for this country. Simply a matter of our culture as it should be. Why do we support foreign markets while our own suffers and while American unemployment rates are high. Aren't we selling ourselves to Asian markets?

I did not ride the short bus, but maybe I should have if someone can explain to me a good reason we do this that is reasonably understandable.

Oops! We need to take this to The Bear Pit or PM before the principal gets here.

Last time I checked the US military and other government agencies uses Schmidt & Bender and Nightforce scopes along with many other imported products.

Just because a product may have origins in another country doesn't mean your money isn't supporting Americans or hasn't been assembled/serviced/worked on here. My Honda Accord is more American than most Chevrolets.

you do know just about every U.S. company outsources some type of product right? Nightforce gets their glass and parallax from Japan that is all. there isn't a major lens glass manufacture in the U.S. FYI, so lenses have to come from somewhere. all "made in the U.S. means now it you were able to use a % of U.S. made components. nightforce scopes are assembled in Idaho. i shoot nightforce personally, i have a lot of customers that shoot these scopes, and while they are not for everyone, they are one of the best buys on the market. in fact, there are some better scopes optically, but mechanically, they are as robust or even more so that anything else out there.

if you talk to people who deal with me, i'm into getting people into what they need. not about what i want to sell them,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
USO's start at $1000

Shoot4fun: Quality of neither product was disparaged. They are both superior products. One is made on foreign land, the other on native soil. My only issue is funding of domestic versus foreign markets.

Jay, of course he's headed in the right direction. You sell Nightforce!

Look guys. Here's the pink elephant in the room. We shooters are way, way patriotic. We are MIL/LE, etc. We have suffered and died for this country. Simply a matter of our culture as it should be. Why do we support foreign markets while our own suffers and while American unemployment rates are high. Aren't we selling ourselves to Asian markets?

I did not ride the short bus, but maybe I should have if someone can explain to me a good reason we do this that is reasonably understandable.

Oops! We need to take this to The Bear Pit or PM before the principal gets here.

</div></div>

Data that is new is information. Some of this is new. Roll on out with it. Teach me.

UGC; got it. That's not information. Mil is no example of patriotism. It's business as usual run by civilians (you know who).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nightforce gets their glass and parallax from Japan that is all.</span>
Jay, why would that warrant stamping the product "Made in Japan"?

50% of the parts in a product have to be made in the U.S. apparently for it to wear the stamp, made in the U.S.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus03-complying-made-usa-standard

I see your in Louisiana too, what part?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Data that is new is information. Some of this is new. Roll on out with it. Teach me.

UGC; got it. That's not information. Mil is no example of patriotism. It's business as usual run by civilians (you know who).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Nightforce gets their glass and parallax from Japan that is all.</span>
Jay, why would that warrant stamping the produce with "Made in Japan"? </div></div>

Broke-ass, dry-ass, hot-ass (what else) Shrevepatch.

Glass and parallax comprise @50% of a scope?

you need a move a little south, it's always wet here.

and yes that can compose that much of a scope. it's very strange the way it's calculated

The parallax wheel on the Nightforce is also a focusing wheel. The scope acts more like a binocular in that regard more than any other scope out there. Generally, if the scope is in focus, the parallax is correct. Ranging distance with parallax is not practical at all distances. It's probably not that accurate either.

Gunwerks makes custom BDC knobs for Nightforce that are pretty slick. They look like a factory part.

http://www.gunwerks.com/resources/contact-us.aspx

It always blows me away the amount of knowledge on this site!

And thank you all for your opinions and guidance for my first "expensive" rifle scope purchase. I really appreciate all the help and knowledge presented to me.

Twogun: Thanks for the link and I will definitely order one when I have my scope in hand.

Thanks again everyone for the info and i am sure know that I cant make a wrong with my choice,
Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.......And I have learned my lesson, buy once and cry once.. I am tired of re-buying scopes every couple of years, but I am looking to spend under $2000....</div></div>

Josh - if you have up to $2K for glass maybe look at Premier Recticles hunter or light tactical (http://www.cstactical.com/Premier-Reticl...-Non-Illum.html). This along with the NF 2.5-10x32.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It always blows me away the amount of knowledge on this site!

And thank you all for your opinions and guidance for my first "expensive" rifle scope purchase. I really appreciate all the help and knowledge presented to me.

Twogun: Thanks for the link and I will definitely order one when I have my scope in hand.

Thanks again everyone for the info and i am sure know that I cant make a wrong with my choice,
Josh </div></div>

No problem. Here's a quicker link to the turret. Calling them to get exactly what you want is probably a good idea though.

http://www.gseven.com/products/g7-custom-turret

Thanks for the direct link! I will definitely purchase one of these when I get my data all worked out.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and knowledge!
Josh
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoGun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TH3 BULLET</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It always blows me away the amount of knowledge on this site!

Josh </div></div>

No problem. Here's a quicker link to the turret. Calling them to get exactly what you want is probably a good idea though.

http://www.gseven.com/products/g7-custom-turret</div></div>