• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce reticle question

lightman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2009
England, ar
Can someone explain the basics of ranging with the np-r2 reticle?I have ranged using mildots,both with basic math and with a mildot master,so I know the basics,just tell me enough to get me started. Thanks, Pete

Re: Nightforce reticle question

" What makes the Nightforce NP-R2 reticle truly unique. The vertical line of the NP-R2 reticle is divided into 2 M.O.A. increments (approx. 2 inches at 100 yards). These vertical increments are used for range estimation, multiple zero points and accurate bullet drop compensation. Any size target can be easily ranged using a simple formula: (target size in inches ÷ M.O.A. x 100 = range in yards). Once range is determined select an appropriate hold point based on the bullet drop of your cartridge. The vertical spacings can easily be split into 1 M.O.A. increments further enhancing long-range accuracy. The horizontal line is divided into equal 5 M.O.A. increments for windage compensation. "

This would of course only be true at max magnification on SFP models

Thanks guys,that will get me started.I'll save Lindy's article to my favorites,also those other links.He is a pretty sharp guy and I always read his replys with interest.Thanks again, Pete

Hey PETE go to SHOOTERREADY.com and look at this software. It was incredibly useful in helping me learn how to range. You can play with the free trial on the website or just order the software like I did.

When it comes to rangefinding (and/or downrange zeroing) with reticles and turrets, it's all based on the most basic form of the mil-ranging equation. This is the 1 i like to memorize as everything else can be derived from it, and it simplifies it all as all 5 variables are now in it, and it makes it easier to see when using multiple reticles. Here it is (" to yards)--

tgt. size (") x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yds.) / reticle subtension (") / "mil-reading" (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

looks complicated but super simple to apply. Hows about a 10" target that occupies 2.4-2 MOA lines. Here it is--

10 x 100 / 2.094 / 2.4 = 200 yds.

Downrange zeroing reference is the same really. This time tgt. size is total bullet drop. Suppose it's 38" at 533 yds., and u want to reference that drop with your 2 MOA reticle--

38 x 100 / 2.094 / x = 533

x= 3.4-2 MOA spacings

Hows about an inch turret system for elevation reference? Same formula--

3800/1.0/x=533

x=7.12 IPHY

The only thing the "mil-ranging formula" doesn't define is downrange zeroing and rangefinding with a ballistic reticle whose subtensions don't repeat. That requires 1 more calc., but the computation is still based on the "mil"-ranging formula.