• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce reticle question

Slockem

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2018
Looking at buying a NF nxs 5.5-22x56 off a buddy, but when I looked threw I seen it was not the moar reticle I thought it was but a mildot. My question is does NF make a mildot reticle in moa? It has moa turrets but I don’t want to get into the mismatched turret/reticle thing. But it may also be my only chance at owning a nightforce since I’m getting a pretty good deal on it so if I decide to buy it, is it possible to buy mil turrets and slap them on and be good to go or is every adjustment always going to be a math equation? Thanks for the help

I never heard of a MOA sized MIL-DOT. Pretty sure it is a scope with MIL reticle and MOA turrets. If you compeat you probably should stear away from it, but if you are hunting/shooting on a range, then it will probably work out fine.

Most likely what you’re looking at is a MOA turrets and a mil reticle. Also add in that it’s a SFP, and I hope you’re getting a HECK of a deal. SO MANY folks get caught up in owning a “insert brand here”, that they will just buy whatever to get it.
While yes, it’s a NF, and I’m a huge NF fan, that particular scope has pass written all over it. Unless it’s a pure hunting scope, and you’re not looking at dialing much. You’ve got .25 come up reticles on a .36 Mil Dot, oh, and don’t forget that all at ONLY 22x or it’s all off.

No thanks.

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap
Most likely what you’re looking at is a MOA turrets and a mil reticle. Also add in that it’s a SFP, and I hope you’re getting a HECK of a deal. SO MANY folks get caught up in owning a “insert brand here”, that they will just buy whatever to get it.
While yes, it’s a NF, and I’m a huge NF fan, that particular scope has pass written all over it. Unless it’s a pure hunting scope, and you’re not looking at dialing much. You’ve got .25 come up turrets on a .36 Mil Dot reticle. Oh, and don’t forget that all is at ONLY 22x or it’s all off.

No thanks.

Ok thanks, I was pretty set on a leupold lrp 6.5-20 before this nf became an option. It seems every scope creates its own problems. For ex the lrp to get an moa reticle and turrets it has to be sfp, I want ffp so only way for that is to get all mils. My question is how difficult is it really starting out to relate to the mil system

NF did make a Mildot reticle with MOA turrets. In fact, that's the only way you could get it "back in the day". They didn't offer Mil/Mil for the longest time. Most "US" scope companies didn't offer Mil/Mil back then. OF course this was back when NightForce marketing material was LightForce Aus.

I've owned several and still have a couple. I sold a few and even sent one back to NF to switch turrets to mil to match the reticle. They called and told me the scope was so old, (serial number) that they had to check old paper records to confirm it wasn't counterfeit.

If it is for hunting or range shooting (not competing) it'll be just fine. If you plan to compete, I'd get a reticle/turret matching option.

If the deal is good enough, swapping reticle to moa or turrets to mils is always an option