• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce scope for hunting

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I am a fan of NF scopes for their durability, tracking, and glass quality. FFP scopes are not the greatest for low power quick shots in hunting situations it is hard to find the reticle. Their SFP scopes that I have looked through don;t seem to have very heavy reticles either and they are difficult to see to me in hunting situations. Their scopes are also heavy. Are their any particular NF models that are well suited for hunting? I would say shots from 10-500 yards and something I am hiking around with so I don't want it to weigh 3 lbs.

Reactions: Enigmo and 338dude
Having the illumination on helps with low power and FFP, I have a nx8 2.5-20 on a coyote rig that I really like (mil-xt reticle). For what you described, this could be a decent option.

Reactions: 338dude
Having the illumination on helps with low power and FFP, I have a nx8 2.5-20 on a coyote rig that I really like (mil-xt reticle). For what you described, this could be a decent option.

This would be my first choice, or look at the SHV for lower cost, which is very popular with hunters.

I am a fan of NF scopes for their durability, tracking, and glass quality. FFP scopes are not the greatest for low power quick shots in hunting situations it is hard to find the reticle. Their SFP scopes that I have looked through don;t seem to have very heavy reticles either and they are difficult to see to me in hunting situations. Their scopes are also heavy. Are their any particular NF models that are well suited for hunting? I would say shots from 10-500 yards and something I am hiking around with so I don't want it to weigh 3 lbs.
SHV

I just bought the SHV 3-10X42 and it sounds like it matches what you're looking for. The turrets are capped but still have good and usable dials underneath. It does lack a few features from the NXS but it also costs $615 less. It is 2 ounces heavier than the NXS and doesn't have the zero stop and the reticle only illuminates red as opposed to red and green. It also doesn't have a throw lever.

I'm partial to SFP for exactly the reason you mention. On a scope with a high end magnification of 10 power, the benefits of FFP seem a bit overrated anyway. The only time you'd use the ranging feature at ranges beyond 300 yards. If you're beyond 300, can you think of a time where you'd chose 6X over 10X anyway? Might as well just crank to 10X for any ranging chores.

Anyway... I like the scope so far. It is compact and clear and has features I like. It is a great all-around scope. I think I figured out a way to do a DIY zero stop which I'll post if it works.

Reactions: BamaSE
Still like C461 SFP for hunting, as 10x works just fine if going for holdovers instead of dialing And I don’t need more than 10x for hunting. Easy to read 5 mil turret, which reaches out well into most any hunting distance.

I just put a 2.5-10x32 NF scope on my 6.5 Grendel. NF are built tough, you won't damage it with normal use. I have 3 of them now, and they are built to last. I have 2 3.5-15 scopes. 1 50mm, one 56mm.
They are worth the extra money.

I like the NXS 2.5-10x and NX8 2.5-20x but both are difficult to mount on a long action, if you need to, and the NX8 2.5-20x is about the same size and weight as the ATACR 4-16x which is a better optic. The NX8 4-32x is what I currently use on my long range hunting gun. The NXS 2.5-10x is perfect on a SA where you are weight conscious.

Reactions: Bakwa
Just picked up an NXS 2.5-10x42 Mil-R SFP and mounted it on my 308. I already shoot the Mil-R SFP reticle in an ATACR on another rifle so the reticle familiarity is there. I like how the Mil-R “boxes” your aiming point. Yes, it’s finer than a typical hunting duplex, but it’s highly effective.

Also have an NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C FFP on my 6.5 CM. Toying with the idea of upgrading that to an ATACR 4-16x42 Mil-C FFP for the more forgiving optical design. Other than shallow depth of field, I find the 4-32x50 to be just fine when used as basically a 4-24x scope.

What I really want is an NX6…

Reactions: Bakwa
I have quite a few hunting rifles with NXS on them, -10x, 15x and 22x with Mil reticles.

The sheer reliability far outweighs its portly shortcomings, IMO.

That said, my piss poor eyes can't tell enough of a difference from the NXS to jump up to the ATACR.

Thank you. I am going to research the models listed. I actually own a NXS 2.5-10 and while I like it, I find the reticle hard to see even when illuminated.

Interesting reading for me as I am thinking about a NF scope for hunting, On the 42 mm scopes, are any of you shooting with glasses on? I have shot with glasses for years but always on 50 mm objective,, just curious.. Thanks, Charlie112

I have a NP2DD on my older (2008) NF SFP and it's the cat's meow for my hunting rifle. If it's too dark to see the dot, just turn on the light. I have to dial for longer ranges, but I'm ok with that.

SHV 3-10 or NXS 2.5-10 if it has to be a NF. Razor LHT if you want to broaden your horizons and get a better optic for the application.

I have an shv 3-10 on my 284 and hunted with it some this year. It’s worked on a mule deer in Colorado and some wild pigs in Texas. Also have an nxs 2.5-10 but have only sighted it in, still waiting on the suppressor to go hunting. I like both so far.

I am resurrecting this thread - wondering if anybody weighed their 2.5-20 and 4-16 ATACR?

Is the 2.5-20 hard to mount on a long action? Would be going on a 280AI with hawkins 1 piece rings. Could swap out for rail, but would prefer not to.

I have a 3-18 tenmile that is the only MIL scope I own and am going to kick it down the road for something in moa.

I’ve done a lot of hunting with the nightforce shv 3-10 scopes. I have a few of them. One older one with parallax adjustment and one with the illumination. I don’t shoot at animals much past 400 and I try for closer so more like 300. No issues with these scopes. They have taken a beating and held their zero.

I am resurrecting this thread - wondering if anybody weighed their 2.5-20 and 4-16 ATACR?

Is the 2.5-20 hard to mount on a long action? Would be going on a 280AI with hawkins 1 piece rings. Could swap out for rail, but would prefer not to.

I have a 3-18 tenmile that is the only MIL scope I own and am going to kick it down the road for something in moa.
ATACRs weight their listed weights, provided you take off the flip caps.

Reactions: predatorslayer
Big fan of NF scopes. I currently have 2- 3-15 F1, 2- 2.5-10x42, 1- 5.5-22x50, and one shv. I think the 2.5-10x42 would be a great choice. I have the MIL-R reticle in those scopes.

Reactions: Bakwa and Cutout
Love the NXS 2.5-10x42 for hunting. Got some good use this past weekend. Gets pulled around a swamp in a drag boat up and over trees and brush and has never complained.

1EE0F550-CBD5-415F-9DCE-E52EE647D1CA.jpeg
4251B162-0176-4D0F-AC29-5D9BDA165B76.jpeg

What can is that? Also, I love my CA Ridgeline in .280 AI. 👍🏼

Its a Wyoming Arms Ti Squared. 4" and 4 oz. By no means hearing safe, but it does cut down on noise, recoil reduction is equivalent to the radial brake I was using, and muzzle blast is all but eliminated.

Reactions: FuhQ
No sir, that is actually a Cooper M92 280AI. It barely fits in Talleys.
I have a ridgeline FFT with Hawkins rings. Any idea what the mounting distance is on your set up? Also, how is your eye relief since you weren’t able to adjust the scope much?

Here is a pic of what I have to work with.
D3C7A7CE-4D23-4597-995D-7E01EE58FF7D.jpeg

I have a ridgeline FFT with Hawkins rings. Any idea what the mounting distance is on your set up? Also, how is your eye relief since you weren’t able to adjust the scope much?

Here is a pic of what I have to work with.
View attachment 8065753

I'll measure when I get home, but NF lists mounting length at 5.1". You may be able to get away with it with some extended talley's, they pick up about 3/8".

Reactions: predatorslayer