• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce scope problem

Anthrax

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Tikka T3 .300 WM with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 scope. The first mistake I made was going cheap on the rings, which I have now fixed. I originally purchased Warne rings, not lapped and had all kinds of problems with the scope slipping. Yesterday I went and upgraded my rings to a Nightforce set. Anyway, recently my groups have gone from 1" @100yds to 3". I had thought it was just the rings allowing the scope to move about, however that wasn't the case. I have put roughly 200 rounds through the rifle since I've had it, the crown and barrel look fine. I have also noticed, when I zoom in, I become less and less accurate. At 22X magnification, the groups will blow out to 5". This may well be user error as I'm yet to bench rest it. I have been shooting from a sturdy bi-pod tho.

My question is, is there a way of testing this scope, besides sending it into Nightforce or using a different scope. Both of those options are difficult because I live a long way from the shop I purchased this gear at. Unfortunately this is my only scope, and none of my mates will lend me there's!

Thanks in advance!

-Brad

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunate to hear about the Warne rings, I have used them on my Tikka and not had any issues, as a matter of fact Nightforce recommends them as alternatives (in their owners manual). Just have to cinch up the base screws to 25 ft lbs first, align the reticle and then the top screws to the same setting. Either way, sounds like the NF rings will do you fine.

Now on the Tikka, most Tikka's will keep 1 moa to 1-5 moa at 100Y even when working up loads. Not sure if you are using the original stock or not, but if so hopefully you did not remove the stock splays. The two small plastic bedding protrusions about 3/4 of the way down the bbl. They are there for a reason, removing them or tightening the stock to more than 45 ft lbs on the action screws can damage them. The Sako engineers put them there for a reason, my guess is it works in conjunction with the floating recoil lug or dampening the free floating section of bbl. I got the 45 ft lbs from Nathan Foster's book out of NZ, and didnt just make it up. He mentions the Tikka quite extensively in his book "Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles"

Now to the NF, your issue sounds alot like a classic parallax problem. It is possible to have a somewhat clear image and still have parallax, especially at higher magnification. At the highest setting, find your image in the scope and move your head a bit left and right and up and down, the target image should not move, if so you need to adjust the parallax correctly. There have been some threads on this board with similar complaints of the NF, some stating they have blurriness at higher mag and others with parallax issues, most owners did not set the focus/prallax correctly. You can try a search, but since the hide went to the new board it is a bit difficult to navigate. If you look at the owners manual it has you set eye focus and parallax on the highest setting first. Maybe try it again. http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/NFO-OwnersManual-NXS-ATACR.pdf

If not give NF a call or shoot them an email, NF customer service is top notch.

Last edited:
Ditto, on the "paralax problem". I was having a really bad range day, when it finally dawned on me, that I hadn't readjusted my paralax. Problem solved, in 3 seconds. Hope that's it.

IIRC, I've read where the magnums and resulting recoil energy in the T3's wear out the recoil lug recces in the factory stocks or maybe it was the recoil lugs that got bent ??? Might want to check into that.

. . . Just have to cinch up the base screws to 25 ft lbs first, align the reticle and then the top screws to the same setting. Either way, sounds like the NF rings will do you fine.

roggom, I trust you meant 25 lb/in, not 25 lb/ft. Do use a torque wrench to properly tighten fasteners.

Regarding the accuracy issue, agree with possible parallax setting. Start optic setup from beginning by properly adjusting reticle focus, which will never change unless your eyes do (after 50 sux), then adjust parallax for range.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunate to hear about the Warne rings, I have used them on my Tikka and not had any issues, as a matter of fact Nightforce recommends them as alternatives (in their owners manual). Just have to cinch up the base screws to 25 ft lbs first, align the reticle and then the top screws to the same setting. Either way, sounds like the NF rings will do you fine.

Now on the Tikka, most Tikka's will keep 1 moa to 1-5 moa at 100Y even when working up loads. Not sure if you are using the original stock or not, but if so hopefully you did not remove the stock splays. The two small plastic bedding protrusions about 3/4 of the way down the bbl. They are there for a reason, removing them or tightening the stock to more than 45 ft lbs on the action screws can damage them. The Sako engineers put them there for a reason, my guess is it works in conjunction with the floating recoil lug or dampening the free floating section of bbl. I got the 45 ft lbs from Nathan Foster's book out of NZ, and didnt just make it up. He mentions the Tikka quite extensively in his book "Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles"

Now to the NF, your issue sounds alot like a classic parallax problem. It is possible to have a somewhat clear image and still have parallax, especially at higher magnification. At the highest setting, find your image in the scope and move your head a bit left and right and up and down, the target image should not move, if so you need to adjust the parallax correctly. There have been some threads on this board with similar complaints of the NF, some stating they have blurriness at higher mag and others with parallax issues, most owners did not set the focus/prallax correctly. You can try a search, but since the hide went to the new board it is a bit difficult to navigate. If you look at the owners manual it has you set eye focus and parallax on the highest setting first. Maybe try it again. http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/NFO-OwnersManual-NXS-ATACR.pdf

If not give NF a call or shoot them an email, NF customer service is top notch.

Thanks alot for your in depth response Roggom, very much appreciated!

I had a read up about it and it sounds just like my problem. I remember reading it in the manual now, of course, I skimmed over it looking for any (if you don't do this your warranty is VOID!!)

I don't want to go creating a new thread in this one, but what solvent do you use for your Tikka? Very interested, some people have said crazy stuff regarding Tikka's.
Also, what are Splays?

Very new to all this and I appreciate your help, thank you.

my bad i usually double check my stuff, yes in/lbs is what i meant. Warne sells a fixed torque wrench for their rings and bases.

+1 on improper parallax. If that doesn't work see about having your rifle professionally put together by a smith who can lap your rings and torque everything properly.

SD

Last edited:
I would double check that you're adjusting your parallax. The higher in magnification you go, the more sensitive proper parallax becomes.

Other than that, give Customer Service a call at 208-476-9814 ext 201.

Evil, Evil guy. He's a "newbie" Progress gently. OR you're trying to buy his scope! Scratches happen to the best. Won't affect zero.Unless the "scratch" came from a 5 foot drop onto concrete.
is the nightforce scratched perhaps? if it's scratched a nightforce will do 5 moa all day long