• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nightforce scope upgrade - Worth it???

ArsPoetica

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I'm currently shooting a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM as my main long range rifle. It's pretty well kitted out, but I want to upgrade my scope. Currently it sports a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm mil-dot scope. It's a passable scope, but I bought it several years ago when I was much less knowledgeable about scope features (this one has mil dots but is MOA adjustable). I've got some bonus money coming soon and I want to upgrade to something a little sharper, stronger and with mil-mil adjustment. After taking several long range shooting courses, I'm sure I want the milliradian adjustments, preferably 0.1mrad/click.

I'm looking at the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 (30mm tube) with the Mil-XT reticle. It's running about $2,150 everywhere I check. Is this scope worth the cost? Or is there something better suited to my rifle and/or long range shooting in general? I'd like to keep it at that price point or cheaper... I'd have a tougher time explaining $7,000+ for a Hensoldt ;)

For what it's worth, I'm spotting with a Bushnell 8-40x60 LMSS2 with the H322 reticle. Is the Mil-XT reticle compatible with the Horus grid? Do the function similarly? Or should I find a scope specifically with the Horus grid?

Thanks!

I would pick up a used Vortex Razor AMG for around $1800 from the PX instead. Better scope than the NX8 IMO.

Could also save some cash and go with an Athlon Cronus, Tract Toric, Delta Stryker etc. Roughly same designs with different reticles and features.

I'm currently shooting a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM as my main long range rifle. It's pretty well kitted out, but I want to upgrade my scope. Currently it sports a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm mil-dot scope. It's a passable scope, but I bought it several years ago when I was much less knowledgeable about scope features (this one has mil dots but is MOA adjustable). I've got some bonus money coming soon and I want to upgrade to something a little sharper, stronger and with mil-mil adjustment. After taking several long range shooting courses, I'm sure I want the milliradian adjustments, preferably 0.1mrad/click.

I'm looking at the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 (30mm tube) with the Mil-XT reticle. It's running about $2,150 everywhere I check. Is this scope worth the cost? Or is there something better suited to my rifle and/or long range shooting in general? I'd like to keep it at that price point or cheaper... I'd have a tougher time explaining $7,000+ for a Hensoldt ;)

For what it's worth, I'm spotting with a Bushnell 8-40x60 LMSS2 with the H322 reticle. Is the Mil-XT reticle compatible with the Horus grid? Do the function similarly? Or should I find a scope specifically with the Horus grid?

Thanks!
I was looking at doin the same thing you are thinking right now. After some research on here, I went with a vortex razor 4.5x27. Lots of them for sale on here in the $1600-$1800 range. Just got mine the other day and the glass is awesome.

I was looking at doin the same thing you are thinking right now. After some research on here, I went with a vortex razor 4.5x27. Lots of them for sale on here in the $1600-$1800 range. Just got mine the other day and the glass is awesome.
I had looked at that one. I may reconsider. I thought maybe the slightly extra range on the Nightforce might be worth it...

I would pick up a used Vortex Razor AMG for around $1800 from the PX instead. Better scope than the NX8 IMO.

Could also save some cash and go with an Athlon Cronus, Tract Toric, Delta Stryker etc. Roughly same designs with different reticles and features.
I'll check those out. Thanks!

Mil xt is a classy reticle, but a NF optic really shines more at ATACR level.

Nx8 4x32 is a good option if weight needs consideration. Hunter class,etc.

For standard PRS, where heavier os better, vortex g2 razor has alot of fans. weight is ~3 lbs....

Not a crossover type optic.

Reactions: ArsPoetica
From what you mentioned I agree with the recommendation to fish around for a used 4.5x27. There's so much more to consider than magnification range. I bet you'll be in optics heaven and have more $$$ in the bank. Be sure to tell the wife how much money you saved!

Mil xt is a classy reticle, but a NF optic really shines more at ATACR level.

Nx8 4x32 is a good option if weight needs consideration. Hunter class,etc.

For standard PRS, where heavier os better, vortex g2 razor has alot of fans. weight is ~3 lbs....

Not a crossover type optic.
Will definitely consider. I think I had that in my wishlist at Optics Planet earlier... was around $2k I think.

For a RPR the bigger 34mm scopes Mike make more sense than paying for the lower weight in the NX8 another great 34mm option besides athlon&vortex are the burris xtr3 line

For a RPR the bigger 34mm scopes Mike make more sense than paying for the lower weight in the NX8 another great 34mm option besides athlon&vortex are the burris xtr3 line
The 34mm tube is what made my mind up over the NX8

Vortex Razor HD or Gen ll.
They are rock solid.
I have both, and they work well.
I have the HD on my Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor , and it's done well.
The Gen II is on my .338, and that is primo.

For what it’s worth, NF made too many compromises with the price point they were trying to hit and the 8x erector in the NX8 series. I only have experience with the 2.5-20 but I hear the 4-32 performs better and many shooters are happy with them although there are some complaints about IQ falloff above 25x where the image begins to darken rapidly. If the scope checks off a lot of boxes then give it a try, they have excellent resale value especially if you find a good used one already discounted in the buy and sell forum.

You haven’t really given enough information to give better feedback, check out the scope question sticky and that’ll give you a good list to let us know what type of shooting you intend to do.

Go look through one, I like mine.
Brother rolled in Easter weekend with some fancy rifles, we had the complete Nightforce line in attendance. Beast's, ATACR's, NX8's. Zeroing crank them to max power then turn down to 18-20x to run a drill or stage. Just grabbing a rifle and shooting they all looked pretty much the same, very nice.
Shit house optic critics talk "tight eye box, tunneling (when looking through a tunnel?) I shot NRA small bore, High-power and Long Range for years. Iron sights=very tight eye box, but set up properly you can run hard. Set your optic up the right way and avoid most of the online bullshit. Go shoot!

Last edited:

Thanks!
Not sure about your budget but 2100 isn’t that far away from a 5-25 or 7-35 Atacr if NF is what you’re after. Otherwise you’re on the playing field of a lot of nice scopes. I’d personally look at other options.

The H322 is in Mil(radian)s so it’ll be “compatible” with a Mil based reticle.

There's a few NF 7-35's showing up on here now and then for $2800-$3000. Grab one, i have it and the NX8 in 4-32. I like both, but the 7-35 is my favorite. Recently received the new Zeiss LR5 5-25. It still takes a back door to the NF 7-35. It's amazing the number of ZCO's being listed on here the last 6 months that the owners one trade would be if not cash, would be for a NF 7-35.

You might be able to find an ATACR 4-16 around $2k without illumination if you want to go that route. That’s what I have currently. Another option around the 2k mark is the leupold mk5. I have both and prefer then to the NX8 personally. Razor gen 2 is also a good option.

You might want to look through our website. We only buy and sell used optics, and we have a 30 day guarantee, if you don't like what you receive. Here's a like-new Nightforce NX8 8-32 for $1,520.00.
https://www.rkbarmory.com/product/nightforce-nxs-8-32x56-c437-2/

*Correction: The above scope is an NXS, not an NX8. The below poster noticed my mistake.

Last edited:
1641482818532.jpeg

Found this one. First time I have seen this site.

Reactions: RKBArmory
The $2000-$2100 range is enough to move to a 4-16 or 5-25 atacr. I have the 4-16 which I paid $1700 for here a couple years ago. Also have a 7-35 but that’s not getting sold here for $2000 unless it’s a scam

You obviously want more magnification based on your post. Personally I’d recommend getting that. You can always back off the magnification if you don’t want it.

The 5-25 atacr is the bastard child of the 3 atacr. Running between the compact size, great turret setup etc of the 4-16 and the better optics and 35X range of the 7-35. The 5-25 leaves a bit to be desired on the high end in comparison to the 7-35

If you don’t need illuminated reticle the Burris XTRIII 5.5-30 would be a decent choice around $1800.

I own an Athlon Cronus BTR and those are another decent options.

The NX8 I’m sure is just fine. But 30mm tubes are so 2018 😁 and honestly for the money I think you’d prefer the Athlon or Burris better

I’ve had to many failures to recommend vortex. But If I was going to get one the Razor would be my only one I looked at.

Keep an eye in the px here. Athlon, Burris, Vortex, NF and many brands/models around and above your price point show up every day. Just beware of scammers. Especially if you post a “want to buy” ad

Keep in mind when shopping for atacr that some are 2nd focal plane. I say that because those will be listed cheaper than the FFP counter parts and look more appealing upfront on the $$$ tag

If you don’t need illuminated reticle the Burris XTRIII 5.5-30 would be a decent choice around $1800.
I would second this option, I own one on my rimfire and it is an excellent scope for the price (especially used), bought mine used here in the classifieds for $1250, if you're patient you can find some good deals. And if the new XTR Pro comes out as has been rumored (in the XTR III thread) then I'm guessing a lot of guys might be selling their XTR III's soon.

In case there aren't enough negatives on the NX8 4-32... I returned mine because it couldn't hold a candle to the XTR3, Trijicon Tenmile, or MK5. It was better than an Athlon Midas BTR Gen1, but even an older Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 in 30mm had better glass. The shortcomings became apparent to me @ around 350 yds and beyond, or also anytime above 27 or so power. Buy for an airgun or rimfire for <$1K or stay away imho.

The nx8 4-32 is pretty awesome. I have used it a bit. Yes very slight dimming near max power depending on your eye pupil, but for sure it isn’t lacking at 32.

Some of these guys that know lots more can comment to this but I don’t think you need a Horus or Christmas tree reticle if you plan dial turrets.
If you plan to dial for elevation then isn’t the tree part mostly unnecessary?

You would probably be happy with it, and it would fit your current ring or mount setup. That said I do prefer the ATACR 5-25 a little bit, you will need a 34mm mount.
The tree can be helpful Depending on the caliber and your maximum range .with the load im shooting out of my 280ai I run out of turret elevation before I get to 2000 yds at that point I use the tree for the rest of the elevation. The xtr3 and athlon ares etr can dial 2000 on my setups. On my "lightweight" 6.5 cm build I love the nightforce mil c it allows me to dial to a mile which is the max I shoot the caliber. Also the more trim profile makes the gun handle much nicer.

Reactions: Makinchips208
The nx8 4-32 is pretty awesome. I have used it a bit. Yes very slight dimming near max power depending on your eye pupil, but for sure it isn’t lacking at 32.

Some of these guys that know lots more can comment to this but I don’t think you need a Horus or Christmas tree reticle if you plan dial turrets.
If you plan to dial for elevation then isn’t the tree part mostly unnecessary?

You would probably be happy with it, and it would fit your current ring or mount setup. That said I do prefer the ATACR 5-25 a little bit, you will need a 34mm mount.
I got into the tree reticles. Only to sway back to plane Jane reticles like the MOAR or Mil C. I didn’t use the tree reticle like I thought I would. I always find myself measuring with the reticle and making adjustments. But I don’t shoot PRS so not sure if it’s more useful there and I don’t have the room here to max out my setups on a daily basis. So for me I found I like less clutter in my sight picture

The only tree reticle I have is now is on my Bergara B14R .22. Athlon Cronus BTR optic. I think it will work out well on that as it will be easy to max out the yardage on that setup and since it’s .22 I’m more inclined to use hold offs when swapping quickly between targets at semi closer ranges where small yardage differences will still have an effect on the bullet drop

I still appreciate even the simplicity on my Sightron SIII with MOA2 reticle from time to time

For what it’s worth, NF made too many compromises with the price point they were trying to hit and the 8x erector in the NX8 series. I only have experience with the 2.5-20 but I hear the 4-32 performs better and many shooters are happy with them although there are some complaints about IQ falloff above 25x where the image begins to darken rapidly. If the scope checks off a lot of boxes then give it a try, they have excellent resale value especially if you find a good used one already discounted in the buy and sell forum.

You haven’t really given enough information to give better feedback, check out the scope question sticky and that’ll give you a good list to let us know what type of shooting you intend to do.
This will be almost exclusively for bench shooting. Mostly out to 1000yds because that's the limits at my range, but I'd like the ability to reach out to 1500yds to a mile if given the opportunity.

This will be almost exclusively for bench shooting. Mostly out to 1000yds because that's the limits at my range, but I'd like the ability to reach out to 1500yds to a mile if given the opportunity.
Maybe then also consider a used S&b 5-25 in low $2k range....

That optic has good top end and its flaws aren't really relevant to bench shooting.

Nf, zco, razor g3 are all now running 6-7-8x on the low end of their flagship scopes.😆🤣

Proving the reality that SB 7x FOV labeled as 5x was never a real field issue...

If you were doing hunting, then maybe a real 3-4x is legit concern, and also length, wt etc

For the price I don’t think the XTR III 5.5-30x56 can be beat, the XTR III has better turrets than the NX8 but NX8 has illumination, I think you’ll be very surprised at the IQ of the XTR III - it is a very well designed scope.

Reactions: ma smith
Very impressed with my NX8 4-32’s/Mil-xt. Side by side with my PM2 and it holds it own. Not in the same class but holds its own. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy another of the need arises.
I think someone else mentioned the AMG. IMO the glass is slight step up from the NX8 and just below the PM2. AMG is impressive. Having said that I don’t own an AMG but own 2 NX8’s. Like the 32x

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Yep, the NX8 is what I've always came back to with trying others. I bought a mk5 3-18 and it just wasn't as sharp as the NX8. I wanted to find something cheaper, but it's still top tier to me.

Is the Mil-XT reticle compatible with the Horus grid? Do the function similarly? Or should I find a scope specifically with the Horus grid?

Yes if it is a Mil based reticle it will be compatible.
H322, Tremor 3, Mil XT etc. and many other brands have comparable reticle that all are calibrated to Mil-radians.

Thanks!

How much magnification do you need at the high end?

The New Vortex Razor Gen III 6-36 x56 is a really nice scope that might fit your budget well if you call Scott at Liberty Optics, or some others.
For lower magnification, if you don't need a fancy reticle, a used S&B 5-25 x56 is a great scope for the money and they come up on the PX here regularly.
Now if you can push the Mid to upper $3k range then you are into what you might find a ZCO or TT for.

Another one here. Good price

No way I'd pay $2150 for a NX8.

MKM has the XTR3 3.3x18 for $1200, new. I've seen used 5.5x30's go for $1300-1400 in the px. The XTR3 would be a better comparison to the NF Atacr.

With the XTR pro fixing to drop, you might can find a new 5.5x30 for a good price.