• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce SHV MOAR

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
Just ordered one of these. Looking forward to getting it mounted. Some have misgivings about the capped turrets, moa adjustments and such, but I am a square range kinda guy so no worries here. Do wish it had a 50mm objective, but i can get over that.

Anyone been running this optic long enough to have an opinion?

I will be of little use with a review of my own as the biggest word I know concerning optics is "parallax."

Did you get the illuminated reticle? I am hoping for some hide members to give some opinions on this scope. I've been on the fence about picking one up without handling one in person.

Did you get the illuminated reticle? I am hoping for some hide members to give some opinions on this scope. I've been on the fence about picking one up without handling one in person.
Yes. Never had an illuminated reticle, so i thought I would give it a try.

The reticle has center only illumination, which is nice for most low light hunting. Th external illumination adjustment on the SHV is nice, as you can adjust it without removing the cap and it has an off setting between each setting.

I would like to know how the glass compares to NXS. Does the overall durability feel as well built? What I'm getting at, is it really a stripped down NXS.

I would like to know how the glass compares to NXS. Does the overall durability feel as well built? What I'm getting at, is it really a stripped down NXS.

Nightforce has said some things about how it's not 'overbuilt' like their NXS lineup. But scopes either work or they don't. I think you could buy one with confidence that it will work as described.

Nightforce has said some things about how it's not 'overbuilt' like their NXS lineup. But scopes either work or they don't. I think you could buy one with confidence that it will work as described.
That is definitely not true about it either works or not. Maybe for a range gun it is. I may be putting it on a mountain hunting rifle that is going to have the shit beaten out of it. They claim it is a NXS without the tactical features. If it's not built as solidly I would rather go with a NXS series.

That is definitely not true about it either works or not. Maybe for a range gun it is. I may be putting it on a mountain hunting rifle that is going to have the shit beaten out of it. They claim it is a NXS without the tactical features. If it's not built as solidly I would rather go with a NXS series.

From what I've heard from NF, you would prefer the NXS. I haven't seen anything specific about it being X% less durable, but I have never seen it described as being on the same level as the others in terms of durability.

For a hunting scope I feel the capped turrets will work great and the turrets are solid enough you could keep them off and use them as target turrets.

For dawn and dusk shots the 56mm will be nice to have for most shooters 50mm would have been nice to have.

I'm really like the SHV scopes and have been trying to keep myself from getting one but I have a feeling this will be my next hunting scope.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

The wonderful and talented mail lady delivered my scope today. I was getting in the truck to head to Fedex to send an action and Krieger barrel to GAP and the scope was in the front seat. Been a GREAT DAY so far!

Just opened the package and looked through the scope and was wowed by the clarity. Bear in mind, I have been a Leupold guy for over 30 years, so my idea of clarity may not be yours. Will head to the range tomorrow morning and do some side-by-side comparisons. The NF has a solid feel and heft to it. May not mean much, but it's an observation.

Will post range results in new thread tomorrow.