• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Nightforce told me to use 100in/lbs on ring clamps - it broke

hkmp5ks

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2020
Ohio
So I called Nightforce and was told to use 100ft/lbs (correction: 100in/lbs) on the clamps for my 6 screw rings. I dialed in my torque wrench and got started. It seemed a bit excessive and well before I started to get any major resistance, the nut broke, losing all its threads. Seems like the cross bolt is fine, however. Lost one top screw that was not yet tight and got launched into orbit.
Has anyone had this happen?

Last edited:
cross bolts are generally 60 in lbs.... INCH POUNDS...
cap screws normally run 15-20 in lbs depending on the manufacturer of the rings and optics. This is with split half rings.
Rings like the ARC M10 are a different beast and require different torque.

What rings are you using?
What optic?

So I called Nightforce and was told to use 100ft/lbs...

This is why the rings come with written instructions and why they internet exists

...just want to make sure nothing has changed in regards to cross bolt torque on the Night Force rings sets. I'm used to 65 inch pounds, think they always state 68, however, new set of the A268 states not to exceed 100 inch pounds. Is it necessary to go that high or is the time tested spec of 65 adequate? Since this is the 6 screw, wondering if that is unique to them vs. the 4 screw...

Reactions: DubfromGA
#8 wire, duct tape, and loctite.
Fixes most things. 😉
Just wondering why you would think foot/lbs would be applicable to such a small set up, as scope rings.
That screw that came off, must be in orbit by now. 🚀

Reactions: DIBBS
So you just used 1200 inch/lbs? lol

For reference, the Jesus nut on my Polaris is torqued at 140 ft/lb.
"Jesus Nut".. I haven't heard that term in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: GRM
Pics? so we can better diagnose the problem. I think a few people here have done that.

Shit I meant in/lbs... my torque wrench doesn't do ft/lbs it's not that big. Sorry, I can see how you're all confused. Seems like the nut was problematic because the other one didn't care and it got to 100in/lbs without a problem

OP also repairs fine watches.

His Tool Set

fclMrnvelJVOoYVL2jPMbw.jpg

Shit I meant in/lbs... my torque wrench doesn't do ft/lbs it's not that big. Sorry, I can see how you're all confused. Seems like the nut was problematic because the other one didn't care and it got to 100in/lbs without a problem

I had the same thing happen to me with NF rings. I still run ultralights on all my guns, 4 screw version though. The 6 screw version calls for 100in/lbs but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I went to 90 on the set I had. Snapped the nut clean. Called NF and told them what had happened, they sent me new rings at no charge and I just sent the others back. Great CS. I dont use the 6 screw versions anymore, and go to 62in/lbs on the cross bolt with the 4 screw version.

EDIT**** Found my post from 2018 lol
Screenshot_20201125-185807_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: hkmp5ks
Theres no way in hell they told you 100 pounds of inches or otherwise

You would risk bending the scope tube with that much force. Maybe not allowing it to track due to binding.

How would that much pressure on the cross bolt cause binding? Just curious of your train of thought since you have such a strong opinion that they didn't tell him that.....

Last edited:
Atleast you’re a good sport about it OP

Reactions: Cuzz